Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the p22 5" target. Very cool piece of weaponry, fun gun. I want to add a laser or one of those red dot pistol scopes. I do like accuracy. This is my first pistol of this type. Opinions ... suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
What distance
What are you shooting
What application

Nice to hear you have positive feedback.

photo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great questions in which I should have answered from the get go. I'm just playing in the backyard. Plinking about. 30 to 60 feet? This brings up a question from me. In siting in the pistol and practicing in general, should I be trying for proficiency at a particular range? Are most gun ranges set up for 25 yards or some other constant. If I'm just playing I might as well practice at a standard distance. Thanks for replying to my questions. As a beginner to handgunning I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Charlie,

Congrats on your P22 Target pistol. We have one as well and like it a lot.
I am curious about where you live insofar as you can shoot in you 'backyard'.
You must live in the country where it is OK to do so. Naturally you must have neighbors somewhere nearby. Again, depending on where you live, you must be careful not to violate any local ordinances, disturb of frighten anyone, and certainly not endanger anyone.:eek: So if this is the case please tell us where in Alabama it is so we can make retirement plans.:p

I have seen a laser attachment on a P22 and they should be available through WaltherAmerica or your local gun-shop.

Russell

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Walther laser and it is fun and accurate but it is not very effective at a distance in bright sun. It works great in the woods though.

The bridge mount red-dot is too cumbersome for me to appreciate but I'll bet it takes care of business in bright sun.

Lastly, if you wanted to invest 150 + dollars, there is the Viridian Green Laser that is made just for the P22. It looks GREAT! but I cant spend that much money.

I only have the Walther Laser and I am happy with it although I cant effectively use it at the range because there is no cover. It is always too bright of a day even when it is overcast.

lima-charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parabellus

I live in Lower Alabama near gulfshores. I've got about 6 acres. Frequently when shooting in the backyard I'll hear a reply of weapons fire from one of the neighbors. Its like a bird call. Its very common to hear somebody firing off weapons on their property. I dont live within the city limits. Lots of "rural" land around here. Today 4 acres would run around 80k

·
Registered
20 Posts
Charlie,
My wife's P22 came with the laser and we bought it to shoot in an indoor range. Being of the bifocal generation I have trouble seeing the front sight clearly. I think that the laser has been a great help for teaching her to shoot since I can see where she's aiming when the gun fires. I don't think you'd be happy with the laser for daylight shooting outside.

I already have a mount and Walther red dot on the way. The mount is available on Ebay for $38 including shipping and a website called "opticsplanet" has the red dot sights on 7 day backorder for $32. I'm sure the whole contraption will look funny over the short barrel but we're going for accuracy not looks. I have always wanted property where I could shoot out of a back door without getting gunned down by the feds.:D -Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You!!

Thats 2 people having issues with bright light. I'll go for the red dot!! Is the mount specifically advertised for the p22, or is it simply a pistol mount. My questions come from lack of experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just back from the range. Definately like the red dot better than the laser, but am unhappy with the mount. The plastic mount slips over the barrel and supports the weaver rail the scope mounts to. The rail is also plastic and is totaly unsupported and you can move the scope around without much force. I will either remake the mount completely in aluminum, or first try making an aluminum weaver rail that replaces the existing plastic one. -Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mount

Mike, Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about the mount issue. Is that the only mount available? Are you going to actually remake it in aluminum? Something like that is beyond my capability. Good luck. I hope it works out and please keep me posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
took a good look at the mount tonight and was unpleasantly suprised to find that the flex is primarily from the frame. The area of the rail is hollow inside with some minor ribbing.

I see a couple of ways to approach this:

1. Fill the open area with a compound which will harden and stiffen the unsupported plastic.
2. Design a mount which slides back against the front of the trigger guard and lock onto the frame.
3. My wife's pick - Leave it alone and see how it works out.
Too many posts. Had this in the wrong spot, tied in with another thread.:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts