Walther Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Cokeman, apparently you have your PM turned off. I'm not sure where you turn it on but I get a message that you do not receive PM's. M1911

·
Registered
214 Posts
The good thing is that the P22 is a fine little gun and will provide you with many hours of enjoyment. The long slot mags are available from a number of online sources, and you can sometimes find them for sale on some forums online as well. When you pick up one that works fine in your Walther you should see most of the functional problems go away. Then you will need to find a good source of inexpensive bulk ammo. I get most of mine from good-ole-Wally-World . They have lately had a good supply of Remmington Golden Bullets in the 550 bulk packs. I also had good luck with the Blazer ammo from Fleet farm.
If you have no issue with spending a little more, get a bunch of MiniMags and you probably will not find one bad round in 1000 . Oh yeah, you have to get someone else to try the P22..It's required... Also take pics, cuz that is also required...

·
Registered
334 Posts
No, I'm good. I got all three messages. Thanks! I'll try that!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I sent a PM, but the format is a little different than what I'm used to. I guess they went through. Let me know if they didn't get there. M1911
I talked to him and he's hooking me up. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I talked to him and he's hooking me up. Thanks! :D
Good. I need to call him and ask would it be OK for members here to call him or a couple of other reps that are familiar with the particular issues of the P22. The history of extractor problems, mag problems, hammer springs breaking, etc. are all well known to some of the reps. S&W reps have to handle a lot of firearms and a lot of questions. So, it would be good to get the names of two or three guys or girls that know the P22.

Here is a trick that helps.....the reps have computers sitting in front of them. When a thread like this pops up and you have some issues and there are "pictures" of exactly what you are discussing.....ask them to log on to this Forum and look at the appropriate thread, post number so and so. Then you will both be on the same sheet of music. Like the first guy that didn't have a clue.....you could say would you log on and look at a picture of the various P22 mags....I have the ones with the red circle and here is the story on them. Please send me some B models. Then it is pretty hard for someone to tell you that you don't know what you are talking about or that there is no such thing. :p

Keep us posted and remember to clean and lightly lube those new mags. BTW, some folks have extended the slot in the short slots to match the long slots and then they work fine. At least that is the report. I have some....they just sit in the safe. M1911

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
BTW......Walther engineers do review this site and RFC to monitor what kind of foolishness some of us are up to.....uh.....especially me...:D and what kind of issues everyone is having. Whether or not they do anything about it from a manufacturing standpoint is another issue. The P22 has slowly evolved over the years. There is no 2nd model or whatever I hear people asking about. There have just been minor changes, one or two at a time. I listed all that I know about in one of the threads around here. The latest mod.....is the...P22Q which is the same pistol but with a new slide and new grip, new detail on the extended mag base and additional slots on the rail. I haven't taken one apart but that is all I know about....so I guess that would be the first major revision....and it isn't to major.

Folks are talking about broken safeties and the slide roughing up the barrel on the PK 380 here. I can assure you Walther has read this....when and if they do something about it is another story. The safety will likely be looked into immediately as that will render a self defense pistol unacceptable. I wouldn't carry one that had that issue. M1911

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was told today that the mags are back ordered pretty heavily. I think maybe that is why the first guy wasn't willing to send any...or maybe just because of the cost.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I haven't got the mags yet, but I took the P22 out today anyway. I switched to Remington Golden bullets to see if the Federals were not blowing the slide back far enough to grab the next round. The gun was 100%. I was pretty jazzed. I was shooting all kinds of crap. I was blowing up bottles and apples. It was awesome. The gun is shooting like it used to. Did Federal start putting less powder in their rounds?

·
Registered
334 Posts
5 months later, the mags finally showed up today. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I tried the new mags out today and all four, old and new, were perfect. The gun was 100%. Even my wife rapid firing one handed was perfect. This is awesome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 10th round does not have a cartridge below it to push it farther up.

Also, anybody ever put a round in the magazine backward (bullet facing shooter). When it reaches the top, to be inserted in the chamber it pops straight up and out of the breach. The round under it will sometimes make
it in the chamber as the slide returns to battery.

Twrecks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are we talking intentionally? A rimfire cartridge attempting to be chambered backwards (with the bullet facing the shooter) sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it may be spring charger may no longer have the strength at the end.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
P22 Stovepipe

Not sure if there is still an issue out there but I recently fixed a problem similar to this. My tenth round, and only the tenth, would often not chamber properly but instead feed pointing up and get stuck as the slide closed.

So like a stovepipe but with the bullet still in the brass. I noticed that while playing with the magazine that I could easily stand the last round (tenth) up by lightly pressing on the tip of the bullet. With another bullet loaded in the mag, it is more difficult to have it stand up with a press of the tip.

So I decided to tap down the lips of the top of the magazine to make it hold the front of the round horizontal a little tighter. Now, it takes more upward pressure on the tip of the last round (only one round in magazine) and that seems to have fixed my issue.

This used to happen 7 out of 10 magazine loads. Just went to the range this past weekend and fired 100 rounds (10 cycles) and it worked perfectly.

I do have the newest version of the magazines as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
same issue w/last round period. (any # in mag)

Have you mic'd the resulting lip width? Have four mags with 2yrs of fun shooting, now this happened. :confused: Gone through miles of threads, found lot of great stuff from 1911M, but yours duplicated my problem. My front to rear widths vary from .02035 to .02165. These of course are the measurements of the rear lip set, not the rounded one in front of the feed slot.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts