Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, but I only have about 700 rounds thru it. There is some wear, but its not bad. How many rounds have you fired?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed it after 100rnds when I cleaned the gun. I have shot 60 since, and it has gotten a little worse.

Also, if I release the slide slowly, the slide will get caught on the hammer. Is this normal for the P22?

The only other issue is one of the magazines drops out on occasion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That dont sound normal, as far as the excessive wear on the slide, especially not after a 160 rounds. My slide drags on the hammer too, but it doesnt really get caught. I put a little bit of lithium grease on my slide rails on all of my autos. Is it black or stainless?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ComBlocGunner,

It is the black slide. The "Smith & Walther" Rep told me to shoot it some more have a little fun with it, then look for any other problems and send it in to have the slide replaced.

4 of my last 5 guns have been lemons.

At least Smith & Walther will take care of it. (hopes)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since it's black, it may just look like excessive wear because some silver is showing? I dont know, mine's stainless or nickel or whatever the silver one is. Just out of curiosity, what were those four out of five?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lemons were as followed:

One and two were S&W revolvers but Customer support took care of both weapons, one was fixed and the second one was replaced.

The gun which was replaced had damage from the gun show dealer I purchased it from. When I walked over to the other side of the table they swapped the nice gun I cherry picked with a real lemon. It was a week before I got to take it to the range and realized this was not the nice gun I meticulously went over. S&W took care of the problem anyway. (Moral of that story is when you deal with a vendor at a gun show note the serial number and make sure you get the one you picked out)

Third is my P99 .40 cal the base plates cracked and prevent me from using the gun. Again S&W had a bag of new plates to me in just over a week. Issue is really with the magazines, the gun itself is great.

Forth lemon is my P22, which in addition to the slide being eaten up; now the safety disengages if the trigger is pulled with the safety on. Grrrrr.

I know S&W will fix the p22 issue also but DANG 4 out of 5 with problems? Think I might take up fishing for a little while and see what happens to S&W after they get a new CEO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Damn. Four outta five Smith/Walthers. Maybe you should switch brands. I gotta Ruger KP95D and I have not had a single problem out of it. Believe it or not, My Hi-Point 9mm has been 100% reliable too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe me I have tried to find other companies. I don't care for Glocks, Beretta's weapons are very good but their customer service has been horrible to me not to mention slow.

I am thinking of trying Springfield Armory's XD next. But my real problem is I love revolvers and Smith is really the only game in town. Like I said two of them are Smith/Walther issues the other two problems were not the fault of the company but they are fixing them.

Oh and I have had good luck with Rugar rifles but I don't care for their revolvers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My mag on my P22 did not work and i never did get Walther to fix it. I sent it back 2 times and both times came back with no improvement. I had to pay for shipping and everything too. I was gonna buy a P99 but the customer sevice was so poor i bought a differet gun.

RUGER HAS AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE had a 25+ year old rifle and it delay fired( it was scary as crap) and somthing broke. I sent it back. they payed shipping and got it fixed right away for no cost. No arguments. they just fixed it. and said sorry for the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that is how Customer service is supposed to be. Fortunately, my Ruger rifles have all been trouble free.

It is nice to know they have good service if I ever need it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JDog @ Nov. 18 2004,8:14)]My mag on my P22 did not work and i never did get Walther to fix it. I sent it back 2 times and both times came back with no improvement. I had to pay for shipping and everything too. I was gonna buy a P99 but the customer sevice was so poor i bought a differet gun.
The issue w/the mags was found to be linked to the stove bolt becoming loose when the P22 was fired for the first time.

To remedy that, one has to remove the P22's slide and tighten the stove bolt (a Philips screw) with the use of some Blue Loctite. The screw (termed "stove bolt" in the P22 Manual), is located half-way on the right-hand-side of the frame.

That was all required for proper feeding and some other minor issues affected by that single screw. There was nothing wrong w/the older mags in the first place.

Both A-prefix and no-A mags work fine as long as the stove bolt is tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts