Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P22 has about 600 rnds thru it with minumal problems up til now. But recently every 20th round misfired. I was thinking it was bad ammo. Now it has gotten to the point of every 3rd round misfiring. I noticed the safety lever is dropping down just enough to block the hammer from striking the firing pin. I tightened up the screws holding the safety levers thinking they may have worked themselves loose. But it still is misfiring.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Any suggestions will be welcomed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I sent my P22 (purchased Sept '02) in for warranty work at Walrep (Smith & Wesson) last January.
1) Light strikes, replaced firing pin spring
2) Safety kicking on part way, or all the way, replaced saftey.
3) Slide catcing on hammer as it cycles, S&W shaved some off the top of the hammer.

No problems since, and it was a 7 day turnaround, door to door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In some other forums on the net I found where someone had the same "Safety Lever" problems. Believe it or not there is a simple solution that works.

There are 2 "indentions" on the frame that hold the safety lever up and down. If you look very very closely you'll notice that the upper hole (safety off) is a tid bit smaller than the lower hole (safety on). I took a small drill bit the same diameter as the lower hole and bore out the upper to the same diameter. I quickley noticed that the frame is rather soft metal so it only to 5 revolutions of the drill bit to get the job done.
I test fired the pistol a whopping 600+ rnds flawlessly. Now I have a working Walther 22 and am very satisfied =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Donaticus,

When you did that mod do you now have nice bare shiney metal where you used the drill bit?

Anyone else fix this or did everyone else send it back to Walther (SW) for fixin?

Thanks
Feathers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"When you did that mod do you now have nice bare shiney metal where you used the drill bit?"

Yes I did. But a small dot with a permenant black marker got rid of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts