Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I've been looking for a 22 and it was between the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito. I finally picked up the P22 at the gun show yesterday and shot it today. 100 rounds of the Remington Targets (not the cheapest, but not the most expensive) and no problems with the gun. I did have a round that was struck but didn't go off. It didn't seem to be a light hit, but it didn't fire. Is that common with 22s? I've never had that happen with any other caliber before.

Anyway, terrific gun! Fun to shoot! I've heard comments about jamming and lack of accuracy. I didn't have any problems with the gun (although I do have a tendency to run my guns on the wet side) and the picture below shows the accuracy at 7 yards. I've not shot a lot of 22s and I'm sure that's not good for target 22s, but I'm fine with the accuracy for the first time out. From what I've heard, they have the bugs worked out of the P22s. Fine little gun.

FYI: It did take a while to get used to. The trigger is very different than the Beretta or the XD. And, the gun itself is tiny! I had to change my grip a bit.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. $239 at the gun show. I hope this helps anyone still looking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm jealous of the price you got yours for, maybe I should have waited a week and gone to the gunshow this weekend, could have saved me $50 =). You get miss-fires from time to time with .22 LR rounds regardless of the weapon you are using... rifle or pistol. The quality of rounds with .22 LR just isn't there and from my personal experience regardless of how much you spend on the shells you'll still get those rare miss-fires. Wal-Mart sells 550 round boxes of Federal .22 LR shells for under $10, I'd recommend those for most trips to the range. Out of a box of 550 I usually have 2-3 miss-fires even when using a rifle... just the nature of the beast when it comes to dirt cheap .22 LR rounds. But you can't beat having a full day at the range for under $10 in ammo.

Your accuracy is pretty good, about average for a .22 LR pistol I'd say and pretty damn good for the first time out with the weapon. It isn't uncommon to get a 3-4" grouping from 25+ yards with a .22 LR pistol and I imagine with practice and getting more comfortable with the weapon you'll have no problems doing so. I personally like working on my rapid fire techniques with the P22, it is hella-fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BradGroux

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I won't be too concerned about a .22 round going off. It's been since childhood that I last fired a .22 and don't remember that happening to shells. Either things have changed or I don't have Dad at the range now to help me with those problems.

Anyway, I was very impressed with thd P22. It is a lot of fun. I still have 200 shells left (two other mid-level quality) to try in the P22. If those go well, I'll move to the Federals and see if they work. I'm assuming they will. Based on everything I've read, the newer versions (I have a Sept. 2007 production with the revised mags) are much more reliable.

I can't wait for my wife to try it. I think she'll really like it. Take care!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using the Federal .22 LR 550 count boxes for about 17 years now. I bought a .22 LR Marlin Model 60 rifle from Wal-Mart in 1991 (I was 13 then) that I still have to this day and the only ammo I ever bought for it was the cheap Federal .22 LR 550 count boxes from Wal-Mart. They've gone up about 3 bucks in price ($9.88 now) and the box art has changed slightly but other than that the ammo is exactly the same. I've fired probably 50,000+ rounds of that federal ammo and have had just a handful of miss-fires. With the miss-fires it is generally just a small powder burn on the side of the shell casing and the slug stays in the casing, no damage or anything... hardly a problem (is that even considered a "miss-fire?"). I still have and shoot that Marlin every blue moon and even with all that cheap ammo the rifle is in great shape, I cleaned it maybe once every 2000 shots as a kid.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just took my new P22 to the range today, shooting Federal Value Pack ammo and she did wonderful. My pistol was manufactured August/2007.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Box

My "born on date" was on the box. One of the stickers. Not sure which one, I'll have to look later.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My "born on date" was on the box. One of the stickers. Not sure which one, I'll have to look later.
Mine didn't have a "born on date" on the box... it did however have a manufactured date on the small manila envelope that contained a test shell casing in it, the date stamped is 09/27/2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts