Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a .22 for the sole purpose of cheap shooting/plinking, and it would see some time teaching the GF how to handle a handgun. I've always liked the P22 and am starting to shop around.

From a few local shops so far:
All black one, don't remember the date code, had some wear, seemed really overpriced for its condition at $320
OD green, AK date code, better shape than the one above for $300
New P22Q all black, BC code, $370 (small local business)
Same new P22Q at Gander Mountain for $350

The few questions I have:
What is a good price on a used P22 in good shape? Nothing special, 3.4 barrel, not threaded, etc.
Am I off base to think $300 is a little high considering there are new P22Q's on GunsAmerica and Gunbroker for $300-$320 range? Obviously plus shipping, transfer, etc. adds up and I realize that.
If the difference between a used P22 and new P22Q is $100 or even less ($50 from my current local options), is it worth it to even bother going used for not that much savings?

Opinions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought my all black P22Q a little over a week ago, new. I paid $330 at a local shop and that was the cheapest I could find around me. They also had the nickel slide for a little over $350 and the almost blinding bright yellow one for $375. I haven't seen any used for quite some time. As for gunbroker, you also have to take into consideration shipping and FFL fee. Have you tried armslist.com or gunlisting.com for anyone local?

From what I've read, the 2007-08 and up P22 is damn near identical (internally) to the new P22Q. I shot 160 rounds this past weekend from my pistol that was manufactured in November 2012 and it was far from problem free. So, just because you buy new doesn't mean it'll function flawlessly. Personally I'd recommend a used one (if you can find a good deal) that will have already been broken in and possibly some mods/fixes already done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you do want to buy a used one, I would make sure that you are able to test fire a few mags through it. The P22 is picky about what ammo you use. In order to get an accurate idea of how well the pistol works, you will need to test fire it with CCI mini mags, or Remington Gold bullets. If you use any other ammo and have problems, you will not know if it is the gun or the ammo that has the problem. Also make sure you get a pistol with the newer mags.

Check this out for some info, this is from the P22 FAQ section of this site.
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-p22/10259-vital-information-all-p22-owners.html

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
A short barrel P22 in black was about $329 not long ago. One mag. I would think $300 is too much unless it was absolutely like new. Will you have to pay tax on the used one? You will on the new one. And all P22s come with a threaded barrel. Of course right now is the worst time to be buying a firearm with regard to good deals. M1911

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know if it was an anomaly or if I just beat the recent increased demand, but I picked up a gently used P22Q for $225 during the summer. A few months ago, I was trying to get a P22 on Gunbroker.com. I typically got outbid at around $250 to $275.

As long as I use CCI or Remington Golden Bullets, she's been pretty dependable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got mine at a local dealer right after a gun show, they has a booth setup and had one or two left. Walked out with a new p22q, never fired, for right around $200.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I started looking through the P22 Vital Info thread yesterday but didn't get too thorough while I was at work.

I realize I picked the absolute worst possible time to look for a deal, but I'm in no real hurry. Sounds like what I've found so far is a little overpriced, so I'll keep my eyes open for a deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dunns in St. Louis has them on sale for 279 nib and regularly sells them for 319 for the standard model they must have bought a bunch cause they were flying out the door. Too bad I bought mine a
few days before at Dennis sports for 339 this is their regular price, I should have looked around a little more before I bought mine as usual

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Dunns in St. Louis has them on sale for 279 nib and regularly sells them for 319 for the standard model they must have bought a bunch cause they were flying out the door. Too bad I bought mine a
few days before at Dennis sports for 339 this is their regular price, I should have looked around a little more before I bought mine as usual
Welcome Haroldlutsen, glad to have you here. You know the old saying...if you wait on coulda, shoulda, mighta.....life will pass you by. What does a few dollars matter over a five year, ten year period anyway....? :) M1911

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quality Problems?

...I shot 160 rounds this past weekend from my pistol that was manufactured in November 2012 and it was far from problem free. So, just because you buy new doesn't mean it'll function flawlessly. ...
I hate to see posts like this. It means that Walther has paid no attention to the problems experienced with this pistol. The problems with reliability of the P22 are legion and posted all over the net; they have been for years. When I mention the P22 to friends they smirk. They consider it to be a cheaply manufactured piece of junk.

I would expect a reputable company to correct the problems in their manufacturing process and produce a pistol without the quality control problems addressed in the P22 Bible even if it raises the price a bit. The Walther name should stand for quality and precision manufacturing. What's going on here?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's a great question to ask the folks at Walther America, now that they've moved their operation to the USA/Alabama. Just keep in mind that the P22 is Walther's best-selling pistol ... and has been for years. The answer might well be this: Why monkey with the formula when so many people are happy to buy it despite the myriad issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Haroldlutsen, glad to have you here. You know the old saying...if you wait on coulda, shoulda, mighta.....life will pass you by. What does a few dollars matter over a five year, ten year period anyway....? :) M1911
Your right I called the first place and they told me 339 it sounded pretty good compared to what I had been reading I didn't think there was a chance I could get it $50 cheaper, could have got a couple of clips with it for the same money. It is a Q model though haven't had a chance to shoot it just wanted it for a possible suppressor purchase before threaded barrels are outlawed

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my P22 (Q style grip) used, almost new condition for $269 less than a year ago. Obviously that's not comparable to today's market... But the gun IS worth the "new" price. It is an excellent gun. The only problems I've had is that sometimes it doesn't feed the next round (maybe... 1 in 100 shots).

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's mad that you aren't feeding it Remington Golden Bullets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P 22 with both barrels

I purchased my P 22 this past summer for $325. NEW It came with both the 5" and the 3 1/2" barrels from the company. I thought that was a good price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts