Walther Forums banner

P22 or SR22?

7K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  1917-1911M 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a small .22 pistol.
I'm down to two candidates, the Ruger RS22 or the Walther p22.
I need to disclose that recently, I bought a CCP M2 and it has been terribly disappointing with a lot of FDE problems. It is now back at Ft. Smith for repairs/evaluation. For that, I'm a little weary about the Walther brand that I grew up thinking was the best of the best (I've had Walthers since I was 20 yrs old: PP, P38, PK380, P99, PPK).
I need your opinion on how good or problematic the P22 is, because in reality I would like to trust and buy Walther again.
Thanks.

#5 ·
Those are all good pistols and with exception of the PK380 are not Umarex pistols. The Ruger and the P22 have both had issues. I don't think you can go wrong with either these days. Both are plinkers. All P22s come with a threaded barrel should you decide to add one later. If you look around the P22s can be found at a good deal lower price. The P22 has a lifetime warranty and Ruger usually does a good job of taking care of customers as well. Get one of each... 1917

#6 ·
I bought a P22Q a few years back to use after sending my PPK/S .22 back to Walther for the second time. I enjoyed shooting the P22 but had issues with the rear sights being loose. My son was looking for a .22 plinker so I sold it to him. After a few months he ended up with a frequently reported cracked slide. Walther to send him a new one once he gets off his butt and sends them the cracked one. Hopefully the new one will have firmer sights. I like the feel of the PPK/S .22 better than the P22.

#7 ·
If you go Ruger, maybe a MK4 or newer, they have the five out now right?? Little more on the price tag, but reliability unmatched, I barely ever have a FTF, but once they go bang, they ALWAYS eject spent brass. I have a bull barrel on my MK2 and a scope. I love hitting targets a little further than pistol normal range. I am thinking, though, about getting the 22/45 grip frame for it. The Nambu inspired grip is nice for pointability, but I am too partial to the 1911 grip. Even put an aftermarket 1911 grip on my AR.

#8 ·
Thanks everybody for your input. SR22 will be.
Meanwhile, on the standard size .22s, I have a Buckmark with a TS barrel, TandemCross trigger and Halo pull and a SeeAll sight. Not a tack driver but a pin driver. This is another pistol that almost never fails to do its job. Maybe a stove pipe 1:1000 shots and eats any brand, though I mostly shoot the Standard Velocity CCI and the Winchester 333 boxes from Walmart.

#9 ·
I have a lot of fun with a nickel PPKS .22, but beware that it is finicky with ammo. I am in love with my Walther PPQ 5” in .22LR. It has NEVER failed to eat ANYTHING after about 4,000 rounds, is easy to clean, it gobbles up even the cheap big box ammo, is incredibly accurate, and is a great trainer for my other PPQs in 9mm and .45ACP. The PPQ’s accuracy outperforms a Ruger Target, at least in my hands, and is ridiculously a lot of fun. The 5” comes with a front fiber optic. Consider it strongly. I know of no one who owns one to be dissatisfied, and would invite any and all comments to mine. Good luck with your decision.

#10 ·
Man, the Walther CCP M2 is my favorite 9mm automatic by far. It's very reliable and it is the msot accurate over the counter 9mm I am aware of at anywhere near it's price.

I also have the p22. I really bought it for my grandson to use when he's here. It's a nice enough gun but if iI were to buy a 22 for my own I'd buy the Taurus 22 semi auto. It is rigorously reliable, holds 16 rounds, has great ergonomics and it's very, very accurate. In my opinion and others I've seen review it it's the no-brainer purchase in a semi auto 22.

My biggest complaint about the Walther is it's too small with an excessively small handgrip and it doesn't hold much ammo. It's perfect for your grandson or a beginning shooter but I an't see any reason for an adult to own it.

Same situation with the Ruger.

#11 ·
Man, the Walther CCP M2 is my favorite 9mm automatic by far. It's very reliable and it is the msot accurate over the counter 9mm I am aware of at anywhere near it's price.

I also have the p22. I really bought it for my grandson to use when he's here. It's a nice enough gun but if iI were to buy a 22 for my own I'd buy the Taurus 22 semi auto. It is rigorously reliable, holds 16 rounds, has great ergonomics and it's very, very accurate. In my opinion and others I've seen review it it's the no-brainer purchase in a semi auto 22.

My biggest complaint about the Walther is it's too small with an excessively small handgrip and it doesn't hold much ammo. It's perfect for your grandson or a beginning shooter but I an't see any reason for an adult to own it.

Same situation with the Ruger.
I have a Taurus TX22 and a PPQ 22, and prefer the PPQ.

The P22 is small. The PPQ is standard size. Not sure why the P22 seems to be more popular. It feels like a toy to me. The Ruger SR22 is too small and has an odd feel to me as well.

#12 ·
I agree. Both the Walther and the ruger feel like toys. Neither feels balanced and both need a larger grip.

The PPQ is a nice weapon but I think it is significantly more expensive than the P22.

I'd like to hear why you would choose the PPQ over the TX22. To me the TX22 is the first 22 semi auto that anyone has really gotten right. The PPQ is a nice gun, no doubt about that, but I prefer the Taurus. My only complaint is that it seems a bit large for a 22 semi auto but that's also true of the Walther PPQ 22.

Either way if I owned either one of them I would be happy. I like Walther's anyway but Taurus has built some really impressive pistols in the past few years.

#17 ·
I agree. Both the Walther and the ruger feel like toys. Neither feels balanced and both need a larger grip.

The PPQ is a nice weapon but I think it is significantly more expensive than the P22.

I'd like to hear why you would choose the PPQ over the TX22. To me the TX22 is the first 22 semi auto that anyone has really gotten right. The PPQ is a nice gun, no doubt about that, but I prefer the Taurus. My only complaint is that it seems a bit large for a 22 semi auto but that's also true of the Walther PPQ 22.

Either way if I owned either one of them I would be happy. I like Walther's anyway but Taurus has built some really impressive pistols in the past few years.
Both are accurate enough and function consistently, with the TX having a slight edge in that department as they get dirty. That's with SV ammo. Probably about the same if you were shooting HV.

Most of it comes down to personal preference - the feel. The PPQ just feels better to me. It feels higher quality in most areas. Both have terrible plastic rear sights. I like the PPQ grip better, it's slightly trimmer than the TX which feels a bit fat to me. Triggers are different, but both are decent. The PPQ wins in the magazine department, being steel. The TX mag is plastic and feels cheap.

TXs have some issues related to barrel quality, and I replaced the barrel on mine. The recoil spring will start to chew-up a part of the slide if you don't smooth the sharp edge.

From what I've seen, it's about a 50/50 split as to which people like best when shooting both back-to-back.

As far as cost goes, a PPQ22 is running about $290-ish and a P22 is about $250-ish right now. The PPQ is absolutely worth the extra $40 or whatever unless you want the smaller pistol. The TX can be had for much less at times with rebates. I bought my TX early, and paid about the same as the PPQ.

#13 ·
I have both, and if forced to choose between them would pick the SR22....ONLY because my P22 is so finicky with ammo. With the right ammo, my P22 is amazingly accurate, but it sure doesn't like the cheap stuff.

Having said that, my preference over BOTH of those is the PPQ M2 22LR. If I had to, I'd swap both my P22 and SR22 for just the PPQ M2 22LR.

#14 ·
What I have always been told is that all 22 semi autos have chambering and ejection. The reason for this is the round itself doesn't want to stack well in the magazine. Taurus is the first one I know of who has been able to fix that problem and add more rounds to the magazine.

I haven't had any problems with my P22 but i sue quality ammunition. the P22 goes back a few more years than some of the other models and it has been fixed and upgraded over the years. At this point I think they've got it all sorted out.

I don't think they've had as many problems with the PPQ 22 over it's life but at this point I believe they are about equal in reliability.

#15 ·
Ruger SR22. 100% positive. Have experience with both. I love Walther. I own Walther. However, their new production firearms outside of the P99/PPQ/PPX series do not hold the Walther standard. Even with the P99/PPQ/PPX which I believe hold Walther quality, related firearms including the HK SFP9/VP9 series perform much better. All said from experience.

#19 ·
I suggest a PP, PPK, or PPK/S all of which are available in .22LR chambering. It is small, skinny, and widely available, S&W issued a recall on all 22LR licensed by their manufacture for a small problem. I have a stainless in that version from S&W but it is with a higher serial # thus a recall on mine was not required. Great sidearm for CCW. And LOVE the extended beaver tail from S&W.

#20 ·
Although it looks like you already decided on the SR22 (I can't speak to that pistol), I really like the little P22Q. I bought it for my wife and grandkids to learn on, but I like shooting it too. It is fun! Like many, it was a little fussy about ammo initially and I was trying several brands for the first couple hundred rounds. No problems after that with High Speed CCI or Remington Gold Bullets. I primarily use the RGB Bulk rounds now and bought a couple extra mags. I also clean it after every use. I will load up 4-5 mags and it goes bang every time and ejects the spent brass with nary a hiccup. It is a blast to shoot and fun for the wife and grandkids too!

#21 ·
rmechelke,
This thread has been very informative.
At the beginning I thought both were equivalent, but as the conversation developed, I learned that there was a simple P22 and three variations of a P22Q. I still have my doubts if the simple P22 has or did have decocker. The PQ22 definitely had a decocker version, but WA dropped that offering.
I have a strong preference for pistols with decocker, therefore my only choice on a small .22 pistol is the SR22.

#22 ·
rmechelke,
This thread has been very informative.
At the beginning I thought both were equivalent, but as the conversation developed, I learned that there was a simple P22 and three variations of a P22Q. I still have my doubts if the simple P22 has or did have decocker. The PQ22 definitely had a decocker version, but WA dropped that offering.
I have a strong preference for pistols with decocker, therefore my only choice on a small .22 pistol is the SR22.
There is a Walther P22QD Model that has the Decocker. The original P22 and my P22Q do not, but with the manual safety's hammer block on my P22Q, I haven't had any issues or concerns. From what I have read, and the fact that I have 3 Ruger 9mm's, I don't think you can go wrong with the SR22! I have a Ruger Security-9, an American Full Size and the American Compact. They are all good pistols. The Security-9 is hammer-fired and a good pistol.

#23 ·
I've had a P22 for about 10 years, shot well and reliable from day 1. A year or so after I got it, I got a deal on a 5" target conversion and its been in that configuration since. I would not feel outgunned in a 25yd bullseye match with that gun. Can't even remember the last failure I might have had with it.

Just got a 5" PPQ .22 yesterday mainly as a trainer for my 5" 9mm PPQ. Its physically the same size and feel of the centerfire. I'll probably switch the P22 back to the short barrel as the small size will make it a useful kit/woods gun.

#24 ·
A change of mind:
I will be getting a P22 QD if available and not the SR22.
Many factors contributed to the change of heart:
a) The superb service from WA Ft. Smith.
b) Lifetime warranty.
c) 1917’s articles on solving problems and mods.
d) Other mods/fixes shown in Youtube.

#25 ·
They are both good plinkers. If I were purchasing the Ruger I'd want the long barrel version. And, then I'd want to suppress it...all of which runs the price up. I can swap barrels easily on the P22 and the 5" version is very accurate. Same pistol, different barrel length. And, I paid $225 for my new 2017 QD and recently saw a new on at gun shop here for $229. Rugers are at least $100 more. I'm not finding I have to do much to new P22s. I do just because I like monkeying around with them...polishing the ears, lowering the trigger pull etc. From what I remember the Ruger was not really designed to be stripped all the way down....something about how the grips snapped into place...something. I gotta take stuff apart. 1917

#26 ·
Finally!!! My new P22Q arrived. Picked it up this morning from my FFL.
I ordered a P22QD but I received a P22Q. No biggy, I'm OK with it.
My first impression on pulling the DA trigger was bad.....really bad. The initial pull was OK at about 8 lbs at the end of the travel until it would hit a wall and I had to pull way above 11 lbs to let the hammer go. On further examination I noticed that the back of the trigger was touching the frame before releasing the hammer and that is why I had to use Superman's strength to flex the trigger to release the hammer. Sanding the back of the trigger fixed the problem. Now it breaks at exactly 11 lbs when the trigger back has about 0.25 mm of clearance from the frame. Still a little heavy but smooth. Will see how my wife likes it.
SA is perfect. Breaks at exactly 5 lbs.
The machining inside is OK, no burrs or heavy grease. The ears on the transfer bar are smooth and don't need any stoning.
The CCI Mini Mags drop into the chamber freely.
It fits into the CCP's holster. I just had to apply little bit of heat to the Kydex to make clearance for the right side safety lever.
Tomorrow I will be going to the range to test it.

#27 ·
P22Q range report: Absolutely no failures. I fired 100 CCI Mini-Mags. I field stripped it to observe wear marks and found none. Gave it a wipe with a paper towel and after that, I fired 50 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity.
The double action is still a little weird. Sometimes it goes through smoothly but other times, it finds a wall and requires a lot of effort to break it.
I will need to study the DA mechanism to see what can be done.

#28 ·
DA and SA are entirely different. In SA, the sear holds the hammer rearward. The hammer strut pulls the trigger assembly rearward. Further pressing the trigger causes the two vertical legs at the rear of the trigger bar to engage the lower legs of the sear, rotate it forward until the primary hook is released. The trigger bar keeps the sear rotated out of the way of the falling hammer until the ramps under the slide engage the trigger bar ears causing it to disengage with the sear. The sear is now free to catch the hammer in SA position for the next shot.

In DA, the trigger is all the way forward. As soon as it is moved rearward the trigger spring lifts the rear of the trigger bar so it will engage the hammer strut. Pulling the trigger further cause the strut to further rotate the hammer rearward. The sear is never engaged. Instead the rear of the trigger bar is caught in a notch on the hammer strut. As the trigger is pulled further, the rear outer edges of the trigger bar engage two slanting steel pins fitted into the side of the frame. Further rearward movement causes the rear of the trigger bar to slide downward until it disengages from the hammer strut. At this point the trigger bar has rotated the sear out of the way of the hammer with the center section of the rear of the rigger bar acting as the sear by slipping off of the hammer strut. I did a thread with photos of each stage somewhere....FAQ????

Polish the center of the rear of the trigger bar between the two vertical legs and the upper outer shoulder where they engage the steel pins. Polish only, filing off steel here can change the timing of the release. I rarely use DA so I polish but don't use it. 1917

#30 · (Edited)

Note that the pistol does not have the hammer spring or sear spring installed. Too hard to take photos one handed and fight springs. Note that the rear of the trigger bar has engaged the notch in the hammer strut. As the trigger is pulled the rear of the trigger bar acting on the strut will rotate the hammer rearward until the two slanting steel pins press the rear shoulders down until the trigger bar breaks from the hammer strut releasing it. How DA works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.