Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, just registered here.

I've had some interest in walther for a while and just recently decided on a P22.

The one i'm planning on has serial #WA12XXXX and wondered/assumed its the 2nd gen version but just wanted to confirm with the experts.
Have not seen it as it is being shipped from warehouse.

I kind of like the look of the 1st gen but do like the serrations and 3 slot rail on the 2nd gen, oh and seems newer slide is also stronger so a plus too.

Reading many of the posts here has led me to believe that this is the right forum for everything walther related.
Thank you.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Welcome iron 16.....if it is a new pistol I doubt there are any of the original ones....let's call em classics :p still on the market. They went out in 2010 or 2011. They were replaced with the so called Q model which is styles a bit after the PPQ line of pistols and not the P99 as the original was. If it has three slots under the dust cover...it is a new one. You can usually call one of the on-line sites if you have any questions before ordering. M1911

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1917 i figured 1st style were long gone but who knows. Its from a local store's warehouse so wont see it till next week. Thought i read somewhere that the prefix WA was pretty recent.
Reading some of your posts seem to suggest some issues with 1st gen style were rectified with 2nd gen style.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome iron 16. If you've read the threads here, you know that the P22Q is a flawed but popular little plinker. 1911 has eloquently pointed out the remaining flaws and pleaded with Walther to fix them (easy fixes). So far dead air from Walther. I guess the fact that folks continue to buy them with full knowledge that they are flawed encourages Walther to do nothing. What convinced you that Walther was the way to go?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks hop. Was just this week interested in a little .22 that would shoot reliably in a small package. I do like the walther brand of gun although i learned the P22 is not really walther.
I know ruger and browning have more accurate .22s but wanted a smaller size package to introduce some newbies into shooting.
Im ok with the ammo sensitive issue and will find what it likes.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
CCI Stingers and Mini Mags typically work well, as does other hotter ammo. Avoid Aguila, while it's fast enough, it's very dirty.

Mine really loved the Mini Mags, and I did modify it a bit (clipped spring, ground-down hammer face)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll make sure to try those too.
Got a walther ppk clone in .22 thats no longer reliable, had it for years. Some ftf and stove pipe on just about every mag (probably needs new recoil spring and new mag springs). Coincidentally same issues i have with an old Star 9mm.
I look forward to doing a few improvement mods on the little walther.
By fast do you mean over 1200fps.?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happy shooting. You can't go wrong with the CCI stuff. I have both the regular and 5" barrels and have not had any trouble with this ammo. Have made no mods to the gun. I find myself primarily using the short barrel these days as I went with a hi vis sight and disassembly of the 5" for cleaning is a pain��

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well back to original question about WA prefix.
Does anyone have a p22 with WAxxxxxx and what year did that series of #s start.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
p22 with WAxxxxxx and what year did that series of #s start.
The original P22s had an L prefix for the 3.4" barrel model and and N for the 5" version. This remained constant through 2009. I'm not sure when the WA got added or what it stands for. WA lther???? Fort Smith up and running? It would be easy to answer but we need some input from owners here with 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. pistols. My 2012 is still in my sister's firm grip and apparently I didn't take any pictures of the serial number. The revised pistol with three rail slots, thicker slide came out in 2011....I think? The so called Q model fashioned after the PPQ ergo and grip. 1911

edit....beginning 2009 Walther dropped the second magazine and somewhere shortly after the trigger lock was deleted....but prezackly when...I don't remember.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got one for Christmas, WA serial #, manual says its a Q, 2 mags and laser included 259 otd

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The original P22s had an L prefix for the 3.4" barrel model and and N for the 5" version. This remained constant through 2009. I'm not sure when the WA got added or what it stands for. WA lther???? Fort Smith up and running? It would be easy to answer but we need some input from owners here with 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. pistols. My 2012 is still in my sister's firm grip and apparently I didn't take any pictures of the serial number. The revised pistol with three rail slots, thicker slide came out in 2011....I think? The so called Q model fashioned after the PPQ ergo and grip. 1911

edit....beginning 2009 Walther dropped the second magazine and somewhere shortly after the trigger lock was deleted....but prezackly when...I don't remember.
Mine is a BA date code (2010 I presume) with an Lxxxxxxx serial number.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
This thread might be a good place to sort this out if enough folks will respond. OK, you have a 2010 P22. The 2009 came with one magazine, still had the trigger lock and was the original P22 P99 ergo model with one slot in the rail.

Does your 2010 model still have the original grip with one slot and the key activated trigger block? Somewhere along here, IIRC, the trigger lock components and hole in the frame receiver were deleted and before the Q style was released.

When the Q style was released...2011 or 2012, the trigger block hole was eliminated, the thicker slide installed and the pistol had the Q style grip wth three slots. I just don't remember exactly when this all occurred or when WA was added to the serial number. 1911

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread might be a good place to sort this out if enough folks will respond. OK, you have a 2010 P22. The 2009 came with one magazine, still had the trigger lock and was the original P22 P99 ergo model with one slot in the rail.

Does your 2010 model still have the original grip with one slot and the key activated trigger block? Somewhere along here, IIRC, the trigger lock components and hole in the frame receiver were deleted and before the Q style was released.

When the Q style was released...2011 or 2012, the trigger block hole was eliminated, the thicker slide installed and the pistol had the Q style grip wth three slots. I just don't remember exactly when this all occurred or when WA was added to the serial number. 1911
I'll look at it closer tonight. Came to me with two mags, but one may have been purchased as I got the P22 in a trade (for a Sig Mosquito which is also notoriously ammo picky).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll look at it closer tonight. Came to me with two mags, but one may have been purchased as I got the P22 in a trade (for a Sig Mosquito which is also notoriously ammo picky).
Update: From the box: 1 magazine included, no internal lock. The second mag was an aftermarket add on. Pistol still has one rail slot. There's a single pin holding the back strap in.

The factory mag has the pinky rest, carries the part number 265 93 44-B, has two short slots top and bottom on the front edge, and one long slot at the very back upper edge of each side.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Took a look at some P22s on gunbroker...BB appears to be the first year of the Q model, serial number begins with a Z, BC has a Z and BD has WA........ that is all I know about that. And not too sure about even that. 1917

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
What is the two letter code on the right side of the frame as viewed through the ejection port? Is the recoil spring captive? Does the hammer drop if cocked and the safety rotated to safe? I think all P22s since about 2017 (BH) are QD models. BA is 2010, BB, 2011, BC 2012, etc. 1917

1 - 20 of 20 Posts