Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a p22 that I purchased a few months ago. I am having a problem with feeding. It seems as though on the second round (almost always the second round only but occasionaly the 3rd round) will not feed. The brass ejects o.k. but nothing feeds into the chamber.

I have tried all three mags I have with the same results. I have been using federal ammo, HV. The mags have 10 rounds in them when this happens.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what was the correction that was needed?

I will be going to the range this week to try CCI and Blazer ammo. I will also be trying less than 10 rounds in the mags.

I clean the gun after every use. Oil with a gun oil or Mobil 1.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you find that the problems do not clear up with different ammo, give Walrep (S&W) a call.
I sent my P22 back for various issues (light strikes, fail to feed), and the turnaround time for warranty repair was 6 days out & back at my door.
(FYI, mine never liked Federal Bulk from Wally World, but I have yet to try it again, since the hammer fix, and firing pin spring replacement)
I usually use CCI mini Mags, Stingers, Velocitors, Rem Thunderbolts, Am Eagle HV.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The only ammo my P22 seems to NOT like at all is the bulk Federal HP stuff from a few years back. I have LOTS of it, but alas, have to shoot it in my S&W SW22 target pistol.

Sticking to CCI Green Target and other target ammo for my P22.

James

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would check the barrel nut and make sure it's tight. I have had FT feed and FT eject problems when the barrel nut had loosened and with certain ammo. I have had excellant results with CCI MiniMags. I have found FT feeds and FT ejects with the CCI Blazers, Standard Velocity, and Rem SubSonics (not enough power to cycle the slide on all shots). I have over 1400 rounds thru my P22 and not one problem when using the MiniMags (I keep a log). As kbc said if it doesn't clear up give Walrep a call. Good luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shot my P22 for the first time today. CCI Blazer - failure to feed. CCI standard (blue label 0032) no problems at all. I'm going to try some mini mags tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
jepmep,

I've had the same problem you described with my new (less than a month old "AD" code -A mags) P22 using some old PMC Zappers . NO PROBLEMS when using CCI Minimags ....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put Rem Hi-Vel through mine for the first 500 rds or so... It seems for alot of new or near new .22LR guns like to eat Hi-vel until broken in... Haven't had problems with failures to feed like that but your gun could be short cycling do to a lack of omph....

·
Registered
964 Posts
jepmep,

Try to avoid using gun oil, silicon-based lubes, or carburator lubricants in your Walther.

The P22 needs to be simply stripped: slide removed from the frame and the magazines disassembled to their component parts.

Clean everything. Wipe. Remove factory lubes and unburned gun powder residues.

Have some Teflon spray (made by Du Pont, and others), applied sparingly around the action and inside the mags.

Reassemble.

The -A suffix mags work best in some P22s. If you do not have the A mags, have the older ones replaced. The warranty allows you to.

Crete

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchsed my P22 last September. It has been back to S&W three times(replace the barrel the first time...bullets were tumbling at 10 feet). They do get defensive. I finally contacted Walther Germany, they were great. They responded immediately and told S&W what fix they thought would work. I too was getting feeding problems with Winchester, Federal, and Remington. I know there should be no correlation, but I found if I loosened the barrel nut, it eliminated the feeding problem with all ammunition. Crazy I know.

It is really a fun little gun to shoot and great looking(oh, I know none of us buys a gun for looks.....)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ndwds,

What happens to accuracy with a loose barrel nut? Mine shoots all over the place if it is not tight enough.

P22 users at RFC recommend warming the barrel with 10-20 rounds before attempting to tightening the barrel nut.

I tried this method and it works without FTCs/FTFs of any kind.

As for looks, the more accurately my P22 shoots, the better it looks.

Crete

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to agree with Crete about the barrel nut. My P22 functions better and groups better with the nut tight.
Hey Crete - my P22 always looks good !  

·
Registered
964 Posts
LoneWolf,

While stripping the P22 for cleaning, I noticed that the stove bolt (located on the right-hand-side of the receiver, somewhere in the middle -- you can't miss it), loosens after a box, or so, of rounds.

As a result accuracy suffers and occationally the bolt fails to remain in the open position after the last round has been fired and ejected. With the stove bolt tight this doesn't happen, in my experience with my P22 (both bbls).

To remedy this, I use a drop of Loctite 243 to keep the stove bolt tight (just don't OVER-tighten it, easy does it).

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this misbehaving stove bolt (screw).

Crete

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't seen any loose screws on mine.
I've fired off 700 rounds at least, since the Walrep service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellant advice Crete ! I'll have to check the bolt tonight. I haven't had a chance to practice in a couple of weeks but this weekend that will change. Also thanks for the advice you had e-mailed me (iceman from other site) !

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hiya LoneWolf,

It's a small world, indeed.

Since I Loctite'd the stove bolt I get some pretty consistent results.

Keep an eye on it anyway because it may start playing silly buggers at some point, ruining a perfect trip to the range.

Regards,

Crete

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one two months ago and have had no problems with any ammo. It won't cycle subsonic, which the manual says it will. My was made in Feburary of this year, and maybe they worked the bugs out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Petro,

The stove bolt is located at the right-hand side of the frame. To find it you must first remove the slide (the top part of the P22, which moves back-and-forth when fired), and look in the middle of the frame (right side).

P22's stove bolt head looks like a screw (in fact that's what it is) and can be tightened by any small sized screwdriver (it is a cross screw, not a slotted one).

Good luck, and my apologies for delaying answering your question, but I was on the road (away from a computer) for a while.

Crete

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, got it. And BTW, it WAS a bit loose. I bit disconcerting, with less than 500 rounds through it. Ah well, something else to check during cleaning...

Thanks a bunch Crete, I appreciate any response, delayed or not... {G}

Petro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, good new, (I hope that it is certain), speaks yesterday with the distributor of Walther in my city and it asks to him for the problem of Feeding in the P22. (It is that I want to buy one) said to Me that Walther accepts the fault and that the problem was magazine, and that already was solved, in the models of 2002 and 2003,

It has sense no? if magazine does not expel the bullet properly, this does not recharge in camara, ojala now the P22 this 100% outside problems

greetings
Nick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts