Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to check something out with everyone here.  I just purchased the P22 yesterday and shot it at the range.  

Question 1:  When loading the magazines, the ammo appears to lie flat when the loading lever is depressed, but appears to scrunch up and stagger when the lever is released.  I have shot ruger Mk22s with similar looking mags before, but the ammo always seems to line up neatly.  Is this just a different method used by the manufacturers?  Is this an example of the "metric" style of mags I have read about?  Does this indicate some sort of problem with my mags?  FWIW, I shot about 100 rounds and I had no FTF and maybe 1 FTE with a brand new gun.  I can't take it home for a proper cleaning until next week as MO requires a permit to transfer a handgun.

Question 2:  with a full magazine, hitting the slide release does not send the gun into battery.  If I pull back on the slide, it will go into battery.  Is this normal?  Will this correct itself after a good stripping and initial cleaning?

Question 3:  to decock, is the proper method to apply the saftey so that "s" appears and then release the trigger?

So far I am thrilled with the P22 and I have enjoyed shooting it more than any ruger 22 auto I have ever shot.  It might not have the accuracy of a Mk22 slab side, but it much lighter, IMHO easier to aim, and just plain fun.

-daw

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Q #1 I have the same thing with both of my mags and in 2000 rounds I've only had a handful of FTEs and never an FTF. As for Q #2 I have always used the method of pulling the slide back and releasing so I can't help you there, but maybe a good clean and lube will do the trick. Mind you I am sending my pistol back for service since the slide catch notch is so rounded that it won't reliably lock back after the last round is fired -- and this considering I never use the slide release lever to close the slide!!! If/when I need to decock the hammer I put the Safe on like you but I use my left hand to ease to hammer forward -- I never rely on a safety device because AD's can happen. On my pistol with the safety on if I let the hammer fly forward the safety will actually bump up a bit towards the Fire mode so I don't take any chances.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Q#1, normal
Q#2, I have found that certain ammo has a bullet shape/design, or lack of lube, or too much wax, and it may catch that first round preventing the slide form popping forward. Pulling back on the slide gives it that extra push. Sometimes, I'll just nudge the slide forward after using the release.
Q#3, I use the NRA method, easing the hammer down while blocking the hammer with finger. Don't trust mechanical safeties!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re Qs#1+2, according to the P22 Manual (English text) p. 22, under 'Loading the pistol':

"Tap the back of the loaded magazine against the palm of your hand. Properly positioned cartridges inside the magazine help to prevent stoppages"

Re Q#3: P22 Manual p. 23, under 'Decocking the hammer':

"Engage the safety. Hold the hammer with your thumb, pull the trigger and let the hammer slowly travel forward."

Crete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. Crete - thanks for the heads up. Since I can't take posesion of the pistol until Wed due to state law, I haven't had a chance to read the manual. So far, I have only shot it at the range and have been putting on saftey, and pulling trigger while aiming deliberately downrange. On the range, it seems this might actually be safer than the forementioned NRA method which tends to result in less, rather than more, muzzel control.

Thanks again.

BTW, today my wife purchased her first gun. A PP(??) in .32ACP, stamped made in france. Is this gun likely a C&R elegible pistol? If so, I hope to use my FFL to avoid the $10 sheriff tax and federal forms. If its questionable, is the serial number the answer?

-derek ward

1 - 5 of 5 Posts