Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my first post here would be something else but this is it. Are all new P22's the QD variant and is there a reason why a gun would seem to have only two of the three new features of the latest revision? The gun has a WA serial number and BK build code and is model 5120725 with the nickel slide. The gun most definitely has a captive spring and red dots for the safety, it doesn't seem to decock in any fashion when moving the safety. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
The original P22 design theme was based on the P99. In 2010 or 11 the pistol grips and slide were changed to PPQ design themes. Commonly called a Q model. A stronger slide was installed with the new model. In about 2017 the Q model called a QD came with a decocking lever and a captive recoil spring. Subsequent to that apparently the lever has been deleted. As far as I know there is no word on why officially or unofficially. I have a 2017 model with the lever. Those with 2018 and 2019 models will have to report in on when the lever was deleted. Walther makes no announcements about such things as far as I know. If you wanted to add the lever to an existing pistol it will require the lever and spring and a breech block designed to accommodate the parts. Additionally, the primary hammer hook was substantially lowered in my pistol. A good thing in my book but I'd like to know why it was dropped as well. Other than these few things a P22 is a P22.

Welcome to Waltherforums macawmatt. 1917

·
Registered
58 Posts
My BK (2019 build) does not have the decocker. It's also called a P22Q ... not a P22QD. The "D" in P22QD probably meant "Decocker".

Personally, I'd rather not have the decocker because I can put the pistol in "Safe" while the hammer is still cocked. You can not do that if it has the decocker function.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Both the original P22Q and P22QD models are discontinued. They are replaced by the new P22Q models. You'll find many information in this thread:
Has the P22Q been discontinued?
Interesting.... Just went to the Walther site to check this out. They call it a Q but there is no Q on the pictured guns either on their site or in the PDF manual. Found it interesting when I took a look at the Gallery of pictures for the P22 Q black the date code was BG (2016?). Could they have found issues with the decocker so they removed it, and had a big supply of older pieces and parts put this together?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Interesting.... Just went to the Walther site to check this out. They call it a Q but there is no Q on the pictured guns either on their site or in the PDF manual.
The P22Q doesn't feature the Q on the gun itself. All the models I've seen there are Q models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, and I apparently skipped over the thread about the most recent model changes. Seems like Walther could of been a little more transparent about the changes through the years, especially since this last one barely lasted for two. And if there has been issues with the decocker, better off without it rather then expecting something that is a safety feature to fail no me. Still happy with the gun, felt good in the hand and it fired though a couple magazines last night without issue with "cheap" ammo. Glad to of added another gun to my collection.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The P22Q doesn't feature the Q on the gun itself. All the models I've seen there are Q models.
Yeah I realized that when while shooting with my son today the P22Q I had bought years ago didn't have a Q on the slide either.

It’s no wonder though that owners or first time buyers can get confused as to what model they have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Both the original P22Q and P22QD models are discontinued. They are replaced by the new P22Q models. You'll find many information in this thread:
Has the P22Q been discontinued?
You said in your other thread post (link in your quote above):
"Both the P22Q (512.01.xx/512.03.xx) and P22QD (512.05.xx) models are discontinued. They are replaced by the P22Q (512.08.xx) models."

You also mentioned: "I forgot to mention that my new P22Q is BK (2019) date coded of course"

I just bought a BK (2019 build) P22Q a few weeks ago, and it's model No. 512.07.15.

Your model progression goes .01, .03, .05 then jumps to .08 ... no mention of the .07 model.

I'm curious why yours is a 512.08.xx. when it seems the 512.07.xx is the latest model sold in the USA. Different models for different countries perhaps?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI ... attached are the P22QD specs right out of the Walther 2019 Catalog (for USA only I'm assuming).

Note that all of the California ("CA") guns are 512.03.xx models, and only two .03 models (the 5" barrelled guns) are not CA guns , and the rest of the non-CA guns are .05 models. Is everyone confused yet?

Apparently, in the USA they went from .05 to .07 models (for 3.42" non-CA) when they went from P22QD to just P22Q and dropped the decocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does your safety drum still have the cutout for the decocker lever? 1917

Yes it does. Walther probably left that designed part as is ... no use changing it just to remove a slot that's not used anymore and doesn't make a difference in operation without the decocker mechanism. Or they have a whole lot of those parts already made to use up before making them without the slot (?).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine doesn't have the notch. Guess is was made after they decided to remove the decocker and finally used up the parts that had the notch in it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine doesn't have the notch. Guess is was made after they decided to remove the decocker and finally used up the parts that had the notch in it?

Could be they used up all the old parts. I'm assuming your P22Q is not a California model based on the part number in your original post (5120725). Is your S/N in the WA2485xx or higher range?

I would think mine was made pretty recently since I bought it just a couple weeks ago. Guess I'd have to call Walther and give them the S/N to see if they could determine exactly when it was made.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I'm curious why yours is a 512.08.xx. when it seems the 512.07.xx is the latest model sold in the USA. Different models for different countries perhaps?
Yes, there are different numbers for different markets. Eight months ago when I wrote my post, I was aware of the European numbers 512.08.xx only. Later in the thread other users mentioned the 512.07.xx numbers for the latest P22Q models to be sold in the US.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts

The reason I ask is that originally the P22 came with a hammer shaped something like in the drawing I did in about 2004. What was happing is that the tip of the hammer was dropping into the small gap between the safety drum and the rear of the breech block. This happened about the same time the breech rail was trying to strip a round from the magazine. The result was that the slide would hang up and just stop. A bump on the rear would give it enough boost to fully close. So, I came up with a reprofiled hammer tip that spanned the gap.

Then I decided to place the safety in the fire position and remove enough material from the bottom of the drum and rear of the breech block so that the cocked hammer did not drag on anything as the slide moved forward. Worked great. But I was concerned that I might have weakened the safety drum. One day I dropped the hammer on it 1,000 times to see what would give. Nothing did. I did about half a dozen of these mods and nothing ever broke......so, I was wondering if this cut has caused some drums to break. 1917

·
Registered
58 Posts
The S/N starts with WA255XXX. Nickel slide and definitely not the CA version. Don't know about when it was made yet, but for what it's worth, there was a safety check tag on it from December 18th.
Your S/N is much higher than mine, which is WA248xxx. If Walther serializes each gun model uniquely, than that's around 7,000 guns made after mine. If that's the case, then mine also being a "BK" (2019) make/model might mean it was made pretty early in 2019. I special ordered it from a local gun store, so it was in a warehouse someplace. Maybe the model I bought wasn't a big seller and was sitting in a warehouse for awhile (?). I might call Walther and see if they can tell me exactly when mine was made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got this from Walther this morning.

That’s one of the newer P22Qs, the QD models were discontinued due to the
problems producing the decockers in larger quantities. You do have the
latest version of the P22.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts