Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acquired a P22 a few months ago, std configuration with a 3.4 " barrel. Liked the size, weight and feel and it's ability to act as a low cost trainer for centerfires in similar configurations. While very different from the PPK's, PP's, and PPK/S's I was familiar with, the P22 seemed to offer some advantages over the traditional designs.

First range session confirmed the appeal as the gun shot very well and very reliably. Tried several brands and types of ammunition. Low powered rounds worked OK but resulted in several FTE's. Mini-Mags worked flawlessly and were quite accurate as well. Next session relied 100% on the Mini Mags and again, the gun was 100% reliable. More important, my familiarity was showing potential for surprising accuracy.

To wring it out more, next session was conducted with a Wather red dot sight to overcome my bifocal obstacles. Groups shrank by half and it would seem to put 5 rounds into 1 to 1 1/2 inches all day. Again, Mini-Mags were 100% functional. Last session was conducted after acquisition of a 5" barrel kit and 3 new magazines. This session used Mini Mags as well as CCI Pistol Match rounds. Both loads were 100% on function, but the Mini Mags actually produced better accuracy in the 5" than the match ammo. Using the 5" / red dot sight combo, groups shrank yet again with several under 1 inch, many had 3-4 of the 5 rounds touching.

While I note some users tend to disparage the model as not deserving the Walther banner, I can only say it handle, shoots, and is more reliable than any P series .22 I ever shot and the design is such that it is adaptable to many needs.No doubt the P22 could have been built with polished alloy and deep bluing but it would have cost far more than I would invest in any recreational .22. As it is, it is proving to be one of the best under $600 .22 handguns I have ever fired.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Thanks for that very good and detailed report, HH, and welcome to the forum. We trust that you will enjoy your stay here.

And ... may your P22 continue to provide you with years and years of reliable recreational fun. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Aside from the red dot and the five inch barrel, my experiences with the P22 have been pretty similar to yours. I really like the way it handles compared to my friends' Rugers, too. Keep it clean, lubed and feed it Mini-Mags and it can be a fine shooter. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Acquired a P22 a few months ago, std configuration with a 3.4 " barrel. Liked the size, weight and feel and it's ability to act as a low cost trainer for centerfires in similar configurations. While very different from the PPK's, PP's, and PPK/S's I was familiar with, the P22 seemed to offer some advantages over the traditional designs.

First range session confirmed the appeal as the gun shot very well and very reliably. Tried several brands and types of ammunition. Low powered rounds worked OK but resulted in several FTE's. Mini-Mags worked flawlessly and were quite accurate as well. Next session relied 100% on the Mini Mags and again, the gun was 100% reliable. More important, my familiarity was showing potential for surprising accuracy.

To wring it out more, next session was conducted with a Wather red dot sight to overcome my bifocal obstacles. Groups shrank by half and it would seem to put 5 rounds into 1 to 1 1/2 inches all day. Again, Mini-Mags were 100% functional. Last session was conducted after acquisition of a 5" barrel kit and 3 new magazines. This session used Mini Mags as well as CCI Pistol Match rounds. Both loads were 100% on function, but the Mini Mags actually produced better accuracy in the 5" than the match ammo. Using the 5" / red dot sight combo, groups shrank yet again with several under 1 inch, many had 3-4 of the 5 rounds touching.

While I note some users tend to disparage the model as not deserving the Walther banner, I can only say it handle, shoots, and is more reliable than any P series .22 I ever shot and the design is such that it is adaptable to many needs.No doubt the P22 could have been built with polished alloy and deep bluing but it would have cost far more than I would invest in any recreational .22. As it is, it is proving to be one of the best under $600 .22 handguns I have ever fired.
I have the same experience as you,,,, only CCI's and it works Great. HHPIN has it right keep it cleaned and oiled,,,,also after every outing be sure to check the barrel is tight and the two screws that hold the frame together are tight maybe even use some locktite on them. :D
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
... First range session confirmed the appeal as the gun shot very well and very reliably. Tried several brands and types of ammunition. Low powered rounds worked OK but resulted in several FTE's. Mini-Mags worked flawlessly and were quite accurate as well. Next session relied 100% on the Mini Mags and again, the gun was 100% reliable. More important, my familiarity was showing potential for surprising accuracy.
Newbie here, thanks for your patience. I had 100% FTE problems with my new P22 using CCi Quiet 22 (40g). I took it home, cleaned and lubricated, racked the slide a few dozen times and I'm going out with my wife again tonight to retry with Quiet 22 and a new box of Aguillar rounds (recommended by the dealer). I'm hoping the lubing will help with the Quiet 22' (mini-mags aren't available else I'd try these).

Which Mini-Mags did you use above? I see "Mini-Mag HP 22 LR" but this round is 36 grains and I was told to keep the grains >= 40. Wondering if there's another version of the mini mag with higher grains or the 36g worked Ok.

Thanks!

·
Registered
614 Posts
My P22 which is now in the hands of my oldest adult son was a fine shooter. My only issue with it was the rear site was a bit loose.

The gun does love CCI Mini Mags in either the HP‘s or Round nose. It does quite well with Remington Golden Bullets too.

You will have no luck getting the quiet rounds to cycle the slide. They make them quiet by putting less bang in the casing. Good for revolvers or manual action rifles perhaps but not when it needs to both propel the bullet and move the slide backwards.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Newbie here, thanks for your patience. I had 100% FTE problems with my new P22 using CCi Quiet 22 (40g). I took it home, cleaned and lubricated, racked the slide a few dozen times and I'm going out with my wife again tonight to retry with Quiet 22 and a new box of Aguillar rounds (recommended by the dealer). I'm hoping the lubing will help with the Quiet 22' (mini-mags aren't available else I'd try these).

Which Mini-Mags did you use above? I see "Mini-Mag HP 22 LR" but this round is 36 grains and I was told to keep the grains >= 40. Wondering if there's another version of the mini mag with higher grains or the 36g worked Ok.

Thanks!
It's not surprising that the Quiet 22s don't work in the P22. They typically don't work in most semi-auto pistols or rifles, and work best in bolt rifles.

CCI makes MiniMags in 40gr as well - Target Mini-Mag

Those should work well for you.

You can also try CCI Standard Velocity, but they may or may not work 100% in the P22.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, thanks wildtoad and jkv. Quiet rounds were a rookie mistake, lesson learned. I had good luck with non-quiet Aguilla rounds last night. 100% worked. I'll also try CCi standard and mini mags when they become available near me. I may try some Rem goldens too. I'm told to avoid leaded rounds if possible.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep, thanks wildtoad and jkv. Quiet rounds were a rookie mistake, lesson learned. I had good luck with non-quiet Aguilla rounds last night. 100% worked. I'll also try CCi standard and mini mags when they become available near me. I may try some Rem goldens too. I'm told to avoid leaded rounds if possible.
The CCI SVs are lead, the CCI MiniMags are copper plated - but lead shouldn't give you any problems.

I shoot CCI SV almost exclusively in all my .22 LR rifles and pistols without issue. If not CCI SV then a variety of match ammo that all has lead bullets.

Some lower velocity rounds (including CCI SV) may not cycle the slide consistently, but MiniMags usually will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts