Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new P22. Took the gun apart, cleaned and oiled appropriately. Using federal (I understand this isn’t the preferred ammo but bear with me).

No matter how many are loaded in the mag, the gun will fail to extract the case completely on the first shot. If you rack that case out, the gun functions flawlessly for the rest of the mag. I first thought ammo/mag issue but then I can’t figure out why it would work fine for the remainder of the mag. The only thing I can think of is that the mag spring is seating that next round in a way that is hanging up the shell coming out of the chamber, but I’m at a loss on this one. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before contacting Walther.

PS: I read something about a “B” marking on the mags which mine does not have. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
The B suffix mags replaced the short slot mags which replaced the A suffix mags. This was in about 2006. You don't need to worry about any of that anymore. They don't come A, B, C or anything like that anymore and haven't for years. The more rounds you stack in the magazine the more drag is created as the feed rail on the bottom of the breech block drags across the top round. When you stick a loaded magazine into the magwell you will notice some resistance to the final 1/4" or so of locking the mag home. This is caused by the stack of rounds having to be pressed down by the feed rail. Why is this necessary you might ask. It is because as you fire, the blow back gasses blow the spent case out, compress the recoil spring, cock the hammer and still propel the spent case into the ejector hard enough for it to bounce out of the ejection port....or to make it short....the little round has to accomplish a lot.

Now to the reason the stack has been pressed down when the slide is closed. It is necessary for the next round to pop up in front of the breech face/feed rail in that brief moment the slide is all the way to the rear. In this way the rim will be in position for the rail to shove it forward and into the chamber. The success of all of this depends on relatively clean mags, ammo that is powerful enough to fully cycle the slide, etc.

Federal rounds and some target rounds and all quiet rounds are just too weak, not producing enough blowback energy to fully cycle the slide.....which is why experience has taught us that CCI Mini Mags and Rem Goldens work well. What is likely happening with your pistol is the pressure of 9 rounds is creating just a bit too much drag on the bottom of the rail/slide.....hence it is short stroking, not going fully rearward. As the stack of rounds goes down so does the drag which allows the weaker ammo to cycle the slide. Cure, load 9 rounds or change to more powerful ammo. Don't go by the stuff written on the box....that is velocity out of a rifle barrel. Short barrels don't produce that velocity or bowback energy of rifles. 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The B suffix mags replaced the short slot mags which replaced the A suffix mags. This was in about 2006. You don't need to worry about any of that anymore. They don't come A, B, C or anything like that anymore and haven't for years. The more rounds you stack in the magazine the more drag is created as the feed rail on the bottom of the breech block drags across the top round. When you stick a loaded magazine into the magwell you will notice some resistance to the final 1/4" or so of locking the mag home. This is caused by the stack of rounds having to be pressed down by the feed rail. Why is this necessary you might ask. It is because as you fire, the blow back gasses blow the spent case out, compress the recoil spring, cock the hammer and still propel the spent case into the ejector hard enough for it to bounce out of the ejection port....or to make it short....the little round has to accomplish a lot.

Now to the reason the stack has been pressed down when the slide is closed. It is necessary for the next round to pop up in front of the breech face/feed rail in that brief moment the slide is all the way to the rear. In this way the rim will be in position for the rail to shove it forward and into the chamber. The success of all of this depends on relatively clean mags, ammo that is powerful enough to fully cycle the slide, etc.

Federal rounds and some target rounds and all quiet rounds are just too weak, not producing enough blowback energy to fully cycle the slide.....which is why experience has taught us that CCI Mini Mags and Rem Goldens work well. What is likely happening with your pistol is the pressure of 9 rounds is creating just a bit too much drag on the bottom of the rail/slide.....hence it is short stroking, not going fully rearward. As the stack of rounds goes down so does the drag which allows the weaker ammo to cycle the slide. Cure, load 9 rounds or change to more powerful ammo. Don't go by the stuff written on the box....that is velocity out of a rifle barrel. Short barrels don't produce that velocity or bowback energy of rifles. 1917
Thanks for the input. The only issue I have with that is this issue happens whether you put 10 rounds in the mag or 2. Every single time, the first round that is racked into the chamber from the mag will FTE and the rest of the magazine runs fine. You can put two rounds in the mag, load the gun, and the issue will occur.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Again, different ammo wouldn’t explain why the remainder of the mag functions fine but the first round FTE.
Is a valid solution predicated on an understanding of why it works? I understand your frustration. It isn't like Federal makes bad ammo. All of my 9mm is Federal. All that I know is when I researched the P22 prior to buying it, everyone said to use CCI Mini-Mags exclusively. That's what I've done and I don't have any failures, even after modifying my magazines to hold 15 rounds.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Again, different ammo wouldn’t explain why the remainder of the mag functions fine but the first round FTE.
True. May not explain the problem, but may cure it...

The first round could be shaving some lead from the bullet as it enters the chamber in a slightly different manner than the next, and that's causing the FTE.

A slightly different shape/size bullet may not do the same.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Have you tried a different mag? Have you talked to Walther about the issue?

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Thanks for the input. The only issue I have with that is this issue happens whether you put 10 rounds in the mag or 2. Every single time, the first round that is racked into the chamber from the mag will FTE and the rest of the magazine runs fine. You can put two rounds in the mag, load the gun, and the issue will occur.
You are right, I didn't read your post carefully enough. So you are saying if you load three rounds....chamber one and fire it....it won't extract which means it won't eject either of course....yet if you manually extract and eject that spent case then the other two fire, extract and eject fine. And, this same scenario repeats itself with four rounds, five rounds or ten rounds.

My first thought is that this makes absolutely no sense...You manually cycle the slide to chamber the first round so why would this be occurring with the first round (regardless of number of rounds in mag) only.....you manually extract and load the next round and then it works fine. Nothing like a good challenge and I think that in over fifteen years this is the first time this specific question has been asked. Ooooooh, I love a good challenge. Sorry you are having issues. Are you sure you aren't making this up just to see what we might come up with??????? Huh? Are ya?

When you load some rounds in the magazine they should initially stack against the underside of the mag lips. When you shove the mags and lock it the stack of rounds are pressed down. Next time this happens I would give the case that did not extract a careful looking over. I would also remove the top round and give it a good look to see if there is any damage to the nose of the round.

What is the two letter code on the frame as viewed through the ejection port....BK, CA ???

And when you remove the spent case that didn't extract....it doesn't seem to be stuck in the chamber....like, hard to pull or press out?

I'm trying to think what would stop the first round only from extracting. If it were a bad chamber this would occur with other rounds. If the slide is short stroking then the slide is blown back a bit and then shoves the spent case back in the chamber...but why with the first round only and you would see this with other rounds in the stack. I cannot think of anything that is unique to chambering the first round, vst chambering any other rounds. There is a firing pin block, there is a cam on the safety drum that locks the firing pin, the slide of course cocks the hammer....I can't think of anything in the line of firing controls that would stop the slide from moving on any shot much less the first one. Look at the top of your magazine for impact damage.....I can't imagine any but you never know. I've been waiting for the day the trigger bar ears dig into the bottom of the slide so you might field strip the pistol and have a good look at the underside of the slide to see if anything appears to be out of order.

If this were occurring randomly that is one thing....but to only occur after chambering the first round from inserting the magazine......it seems it must be related to the magazine, magazine safety, something unique that is occurring when you initially insert the mag and chamber that first round that is not occurring when you cycle the slide with the magazine locked in. See if you can find another mag. Interesting problem....hard to diagnose over the net. 1917

·
Registered
69 Posts
How are you chambering the first round? Are you slingshotting the slide? Are you pressing the slide stop lever? If you are slingshotting the slide, are you sure you are not riding the slide back into position vs letting it go, so it snaps back into place? I don't know if these questions are pertinent, but thought I'd throw them out there.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I'm thinking more testing is in order to make sure that this occurs regularly with say 3 or 4 rounds only in the mag. I cannot think of anything that would cause this. Does this occur with the first shot being fired in DA and SA? I'd be interested in what Walther might have to say after inspecting the pistol. Has anything been modified on the pistol? 1917

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can’t say I’ve ever tested to see if a partially empty mag has the first round FTE problem, but I’m 95% sure that snappier ammo will solve this.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
If I understand it correctly the OP is saying that regardless of the number of rounds placed in the mag....he can insert it, chamber the first round and fire it but the case will not extract. If he cycled the slide to remove the spent case , chambering the next round in the process, the pistol fires the remaining rounds without issue. It doesn't matter if a fully loaded mag or one with 6 rounds, 4 rounds or three rounds is inserted. Same issue occurs. So, it seems to be a problem associated with the initial insertion of the magazine and chambering of the first round. With the magazine locked in the spent case can be manually extracted, releasing the slide chambers the next round and the pistol then runs without any stoppages. If so, this would not indicate a weak round issue. Something else is going on but I have no idea what that might be. I have no idea what could cause this. Will be interested to see if he can get an answer back from Ft. Smith. As far as I can tell there is nothing on the pistol that stops rearward movement of the slide at any time. If it were a chamber problem there would be issues with the spent case of other rounds hanging up. I see no way that the top round in the magazine can interfere with the extraction of the chambered round.

So, either the OP isn't presenting what is happening accurately ( but seems to be stating is clearly) or there is some mystery here that I've never heard of before. 1917

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Perhaps there is interference with the trigger bar on the initial insertion causing to to be shoved into the bottom of the slide which stops the slide's rearward movement. Retracting the slide to extract/eject the spent case somehow frees the trigger bar when then works in a normal manner. Field stripping the pistol to have a look at the underside of the slide should show if anything is out of order there. 1917

1 - 14 of 14 Posts