Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look around and did not find this discussed.
Has anyone converted a P22 to double action only? Or have thoughts on best way to do it while still maintaining all safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Let me think if this is possible. DA uses the rear of the trigger bar, slipping off the hammer strut to release the hammer. SA uses the actual sear with the raised trigger bar rotating it counter clockwise until it breaks with the hammer hooks. In SA the hammer is never really cocked and caught by the sear...You are likely going to have to remove the sear. But I need to think this through...the hammer will have to follow the slide forward after a shot....what we have to make sure of is that the pistol doesn't go full auto. The slide will disconnect the trigger bar...but there is nothing for it to be connected to if the sear is removed. I will have to think on this one. Have you considered a nice revolver? 1917

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
The pistol will work DA pull after pull as long as your aren't firing it. Firing it moves the slide rearward which puts it in SA. I assume you are wanting live fire training....not just trigger pull. 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes looking fo love fire training not simply dry fire.

1917 thanks for thinking about it. Seems sear does multi function so might be complicated there. Could it be a possible or partial solution to modify hammer by removing half cocked and full cocked notches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I think it would be simpler to just remove the sear. Leave the hammer alone. As you are probably aware the safety drum is held in place in a cast zinc alloy slide. The frame insert is also cast zinc. The breech block is pinned into the zinc slide. These assemblies as designed can take many, many whacks from the hammer....but you need to realize the when the slide presses the hammer all the way back there is only a short distance the hammer travels forward before the sear catches it. So not a lot of force is imparted to the safety, sear, etc.

Two things to worry about....can the safety drum take the punishment of the hammer slamming into it after every shot. Perhaps the hammer will simply follow the slide forward and be slowed down by movement of the slide. Will the pistol fire more than once or go full auto? I don't know. Neither is acceptable. And what about the firing pin block which is pretty small and located on the underside of the breech block.

Like I said, in DA, the trigger bar presses the hammer strut rearward which presses the hammer rearward. Two steel pins in the side of the frame slowly slide the trigger bar downward where the center portion of the rear of the trigger bar reaches a point where it slips off the strut. The hammer falls. SA works entirely differently with the actual sear catching the hammer in the primary hook. In SA the trigger bar rises up, the top of the two rear legs engage the lower legs of the sear, rotate the sear counterclockwise until the sear faces slip over the hammer hook. The slide then knocks (disconnects) the trigger bar from the sear however, it is essential that the trigger bar remain engaged with the sear an appropriate amt of time so that SA works. If the trigger bar spring gets weak, the trigger bar sometimes slips off the sear and all you have is DA. There is a thread on it up in the FAQ section I believe. 1917

1 - 8 of 8 Posts