Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting a used P22 and I probably won’t be able to shoot it before buying it. I have a serial number but I don’t know what year this gun is and if it’s one with problems or mostly resolved problems.

·
Registered
661 Posts
One thing to know is the pistol has a lifetime warranty from Walther. if anything goes wrong a quick phone call to Walther will get you good advice and/or get your gun fixed. Second, if you do buy it and take it to the range, use good ammo such as CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Walther's Service Department is excellent!!! Don't fear, buy it P22 or P22q. If it doesn't shoot well, call Walther and they will send you a Fedex shipping label and in two weeks max, you will have a perfectly shootable pistol. Either they'll fix the one you sent them or they will send you a different one at their discretion.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Does it make a difference in terms of warranty whether it is a P22 or a P22Q?
No, all have a lifetime warranty. The Q model which came out in about 2011 has a beefed up slide, PPQ design theme and a few other upgrades. The latest pistols come with a captive recoil spring assembly. Q grips, Q slide, etc. all fit the original pistol as well. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
No, all have a lifetime warranty.
On Walther's website I read:
"This warranty [...] covers only firearms currently produced and supported by Walther [...]. This warranty does not cover firearms that have been discontinued by Carl Walther or Walther Arms, Inc."
According to my logic, two of the three requirements mentioned above are no longer met in the case of the discontinued P22. For me, the wording of the warranty is anything but clear. That's the reason why I asked.

·
Registered
661 Posts
P22 is still being manufactured and and supported. My son just had to get a replacement slide for his Q model and the sent him a new slide with the new captured spring. I have an older S&W branded PPK and have sent it to Walther 3 times for repair.
I agree the documentation they provide is as clear as mud on warranty.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
I think all parts interchange P22 vs P22Q with exception of the captive guide rod assembly. The head is too large on the captive rod and will not fit through the hole on the P22 slide or early Q models. Drilling a slightly larger hole and the part will fit fine. There have been small changes to the pistol over the years....P99 style to PPQ style theme, change in extractor shape, hammer face shape, guide rod, beefed up slide Q model, small pin added to left side of frame to better hold the slide hold open spring in place, slight changes to the mags, etc.

I have a Q grip and slide on a 2006 P22 frame. Crete in Crete, Greece on the other hand was unable to get a new slide for some reason after his broke. I can ask if original P22 pistols/parts are being produced. California adds another interesting twist to warranty work. 1917

·
Registered
20 Posts
On Walther's website I read:
"This warranty [...] covers only firearms currently produced and supported by Walther [...]. This warranty does not cover firearms that have been discontinued by Carl Walther or Walther Arms, Inc."
According to my logic, two of the three requirements mentioned above are no longer met in the case of the discontinued P22. For me, the wording of the warranty is anything but clear. That's the reason why I asked.
I sent back a slide from an old P22. It had cracked right behind the ejection port. They replaced it with a new style slide and even sent the nickel plated one. Their warranty service is great.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Unfortunately, this seems to be correct and while we can purchase parts for the asking here.....we can't mail them out of country. If I lived in Europe this would give me pause regarding purchasing a P22. I think Crete could not even find one to purchase much less get a replacement after his broke. 1917

1 - 12 of 12 Posts