Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've run about 1000 rounds through mine and 1500 through my dad's. We've only had one misload. We had about a dozen rounds that didn't fire, all in a row, I think it was the ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have put about 600 through my P22 in the 4 weeks that I have owned it and I have only had 1 Failure to Fire. But it was the ammo because the striker hit the casing and left the mark but it just didnt fire.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well over 1000 through our P22 CA target model five-inch barrel. Split between standard and high-velocity ammo including HP with not one FT-anything. Conversely this puppy refuses to feed sub-sonic ammo; just not enough poop to cycle the action. :p

Russell

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Is the p22 reliable at all?
I'd urge you to read the "P22 reliability" thread, which is about three notches down in this same Walther Rimfire and CO2 Pistols section of the forum. It will give you some detailed comments from those who love the P22 (and there are many) and those who are less than fond of it (and there are many of them as well). Near the bottom of this same section of the forum is a thread titled "Self defense with a P22" that also may be of interest. While the P22 is not a weapon that everyone would choose as a first line of defense, at least one individual had some success with it.

Whatever you do or don't do or decide, be sure to check out the Rimfire Central Forum:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Pay particular attention to the sticky notices about the various issues that many folks perceive with the P22. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Dep. the P22 has had numerous issues, but from what I've seen they were mostly with early production. The two instances that you linked to appear older guns. I might be wrong and the problems may be persisting as I don't really follow the gun too closely. I just pull it out when I have a mind to and shoot it, clean it, and put it away. So long as I use Mini Mags the gun just keeps on ticking. But, problems are hit and miss and maybe I've just been lucky. If it weren't for the Internet I'd think it a fine gun :)

That reminds me, I've got to pick up Mini Mags. When my father-in-law is in town he loves to shoot the P22 and I'm going to have a hard time next week prying it out of his hands to get him to try the little Beretta .25 that I got for him to shoot. Then again, it will be much less expensive if he shoots the 22.

Q

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Que: I wish I could believe your suggestion that it was just in early guns. But there are hundreds of posts of malfuntions and breakage with new guns too.
Believe me, if it wasn't for all the problems it has, I would have bought it instead of my S&W 617. They have pages and pages of modifications that should be done on a new P22, even if you haven't had problems with them. I refuse to buy an unfinished product or a "work in progress". I just can't understand why Walther just doesn't fix the problems and have a reliable gun on the market. There have to be a LOT of guys like me that are staying away because of all the problems the P-22 has.

Here's the "P-22 bible of maintenance and mods":

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I would not CCW a .22 LR
SELF: I used to think the same thing. I also thought anything less than .45ACP is worthless. I still think the .45ACP is the ultimate defensive round.

BUT...

A .22LR or .22Magnum on your person, is better than a whole bunch of major caliber handguns in the safe:)
Right now, with the weather nice and cool, I can carry pretty much any large caliber handgun, inlcuding a .44 magnum, if I so desire. But when it gets hotter than hell out here, the only thing I am wearing is a t-shirt and blue jeans. Pretty hard to hide ANY gun with those clothes on. I've tried all the hidden holster options and NONE of them were comfortable or practical. Sooooo...instead of trying to hide a large handgun, I simply REDUCED the size of the gun I carry in hot weather. That gun is the NAA Mini-revolver in .22 magnum. Is it a one-shot killer? Not likely, unless I get a close up head shot. But ANY gun is better than none. Will it get someone's attention if I shoot him...most definitely. It has to be the EASIEST gun to hide in the world. They even have a holster designed to hang around your neck!!

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hey Dep, it's a darn shame that Walther can't get it together with the P22. Like I said, I've had no reason to follow the gun but it looks like there's quite a history. I guess the same came be said for the Sig Mosquito. To bad these two gun makers can't translate their success to a .22. I guess I'll just thanks my lucky stars and hope that my luck holds out.

So it goes.

Q

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dep:

There is no doubt the a small one in the pocket is worth more than a big one in the drawer. But rimfire ignition in a CCW gun is not so great. I would take my much smaller old Beretta 950 .25 ACP for CCW before a .22LR.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts