Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Yes TTownpops...the only difference between a CA P22 and all the other P22s is the CA model had the barrel nut red locktited on and there are no wrench lands. CA doesn't like the easy method of adding a suppressor to the pistol so Walther worked out a deal where the nut is locked on with glue from the factory. The only other difference is that the pistol comes with the long recoil spring and not the captive one. Welcome to the forum. 1917

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes TTownpops...the only difference between a CA P22 and all the other P22s is the CA model had the barrel nut red locktited on and there are no wrench lands. CA doesn't like the easy method of adding a suppressor to the pistol so Walther worked out a deal where the nut is locked on with glue from the factory. The only other difference is that the pistol comes with the long recoil spring and not the captive one. Welcome to the forum. 1917
thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered two "brand new "just bought from Walther" P22Q magazines on Ebay for my P22 CA version. They certainly appear on line also to be the same as the P22 factory magazine that came with the pistol in January 2021. When I get them that will be the test. I ran into a "used" magazine that did not work in my CA pistol even though it said P22 on the magazine. There is a reviewer on YouTube that says that there was an issue with the first gen P22 magazines years ago. Couldn't tell if that was the magazine itself or the magazine release system. Thanks for the explanation. Rescue08

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
As far as I have ever known...there are only two sources for P22 mags. Walther and KeepShooting. The KeepShooting mags look exactly like Walther mags.....not sure who makes them and plenty of people purchased them and reported they worked fine. The only problem I know of with P22 mags is the very first ones did not have stagger slots and did not feed properly. Then in 2006 or so the short slot mags showed up and didn't feed well either. I don't know of any reason either of the mags won't work in a P22. CA, rest of the World....same pistol with exception of the locktited barrel nut.

Pictured is an original mag with no stagger slot. These were soon replaced. In addition there were complaints of unintended mag releases during the early years as well. Most of us thought this was probably shooter error, new shooters not familiar with the levers, were accidentally hitting the levers. Regardless, Walther changed the way the expanded tabs were stamped by stamping them in a manner where the tabs stuck out further. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as I have ever known...there are only two sources for P22 mags. Walther and KeepShooting. The KeepShooting mags look exactly like Walther mags.....not sure who makes them and plenty of people purchased them and reported they worked fine. The only problem I know of with P22 mags is the very first ones did not have stagger slots and did not feed properly. Then in 2006 or so the short slot mags showed up and didn't feed well either. I don't know of any reason either of the mags won't work in a P22. CA, rest of the World....same pistol with exception of the locktited barrel nut.

Pictured is an original mag with no stagger slot. These were soon replaced. In addition there were complaints of unintended mag releases during the early years as well. Most of us thought this was probably shooter error, new shooters not familiar with the levers, were accidentally hitting the levers. Regardless, Walther changed the way the expanded tabs were stamped by stamping them in a manner where the tabs stuck out further. 1917

That is the exact magazine that was sold to me on Ebay. He took it back. You are great!

·
Registered
10,248 Posts

Photo of development and small changes to the mags. Not shown is the original with no stagger slots. The 2006 or 2007 mag in the center with the short stagger slots did not function properly either and was soon replaced. Those 1" stagger slots are necessary in order to allow the rims to slide off of one another which allows the top rounds to sit at the proper angle under the feed ramps. Magazines without these slots cause the rimmed rounds to stack in a circle which causes the top rounds to sit nose down....=feeding issues. If you look closely there are subtle changes to the stampings and you can see that the catch tabs has been punched out further from the mag body. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts

Photo of development and small changes to the mags. Not shown is the original with no stagger slots. The 2006 or 2007 mag in the center with the short stagger slots did not function properly either and was soon replaced. Those 1" stagger slots are necessary in order to allow the rims to slide off of one another which allows the top rounds to sit at the proper angle under the feed ramps. Magazines without these slots cause the rimmed rounds to stack in a circle which causes the top rounds to sit nose down....=feeding issues. If you look closely there are subtle changes to the stampings and you can see that the catch tabs has been punched out further from the mag body. 1917
Yes, I can see the difference. Attached are two photos of the magazine I sent back. It has 2006 on the OEM box and clearly has the short stagger slots. And, it did not work. Rescue08

Attachments

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
You would think it would be clear to Walther what the problem with the original mags was. .22 ammo will not stack straight and that is the purpose of the rim stagger slots. During the early years the pistol was plagued with poor ejection direction of spent cases...right between the eyes, on the back of your shooting hand, left, up, right, forward. There was a lot of complaining about it. I was told that the short slot was an attempt to correct this issue. By one who would know. I'm not sure what the though process was there....but, it didn't work. I had five or so of those mags and none were any good. The only mags I've ever had that would allow a live round to jump out of the pistol while the next round would chamber....same cycle. Load 10, fire seven and the slide locks back...empty pistol. What???? I'd find live cartridges on the ground.

I had experimented on the extractor and ejector trying to solve the ejection issue. I found that if I could close the distance between the extractor face and the rim.....the extractor would play a significant part in causing the rim to pivot over the extractor as the opposite side bounced off the ejector. Send all of this to Arnsberg....they wouldn't bite, so I sent it to VQ and asked them to make some extractors based on my prototypes. They did. Then Walther decided to revise the extractor a bit.....but neither company tightened up the tolerance quite enough from my experiments. I bet you any old Ruger has an extractor that fits pretty tightly against the rim on all of their semi autos. Walther had never really solved this like they could.

Way, way back I drew a picture of how an owner could carefully peen the tip of the original extractor to close the gap. This worked quite well.....then I tried it with the new model.....no go, those break. I still have some of the original extractors, you can drill a hole through them.....you can't drill the new ones with anything I've found including carbide and diamond. Those suckers are hard. I recently wanted to change the pivot point on the extractor...move it forward for a better grasp of the rim but could not drill through the darn thing. Walther sent me five B mags to test in the prototype stage....they returned to the long slot and were of a slightly thicker steel and worked 100%. 1917

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Rescue, those definitely aren't Q mags. Those are the old short slots as you correctly determined. 1917

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Check KeepShooting if you can't find Walther mags. Their's look identical to the real deal to me, reports from those who have purchased them report they work fine. I've just thought of it but I'm going to ask them to make us some PPK and PP, PPK/S .22 mags. With stagger slots. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts

That is a wonderful history lesson on QC. Many people claim the ammo is the cuprit but it seems that it may have also been the magazines, dirty weapons and poorly manufactured ammo. What is your take on the claim that CCI mini mags are the "preferred" rounds by Walther. I saw no such language with my 2021 P22 CA version. Maybe I am paranoid, but I bought CCI mini Mags at an very inflated price to assure that if I needed the pistol for self defense at home it wouldn't misfire/jam/stovepipe. When I used a new box of Federal Range pack (40grain 1200 FPS) at the range for the new pistol the first time they shot fine. I am going to test fire 20 rounds of CCI MIni Mags, then 20 rounds of Aguila Interceptor, then 20 of the Federal Range. Rescue08

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
The main thing a round needs to do in the P22 is produce enough blowback pressure to cycle the slide. You would think...easy...I'll just look at the velocity on the box. That doesn't really work as those velocities are out of rifle barrels...not 3.4" or 5" pistol barrels. Short barrels do not allow any .22 brand of ammo to achieve maximum velocity from what I know. However..there are some brands that get off the starting block very fast and produce an adequate amount of blowback energy. CCI Mini Mags are plenty powerful enough and are fairly clean. Remington Golden Bullets produce an equal if not greater recoil impulse but aren't as clean or reliable.....but they work fine for bulk. Fast ammo like CCI Velocitors, copper, etc will all cycle a P22 but the cost begins to go up and I don't see much reason to purchase more expensive ammo unless it is target grade. Target ammo is sometimes not all that fast nor does it produce enough blowback energy. The five inch barrel is more forgiving than the 3.4". I'd say the biggest problem people have had over the years with ammo is purchasing bulk stuff that simply isn't powerful enough to cycle the slide. A simple change of ammo can solve a lot of issues.....yes, CCI is good. All things equal cost wise and I buy nothing but it....but, costs aren't equal. I've fired 10's of thousands of Federal bulk. Try a box of Rem Golden bullets and see what you think of that. 1917

·
Registered
11 Posts
The main thing a round needs to do in the P22 is produce enough blowback pressure to cycle the slide. You would think...easy...I'll just look at the velocity on the box. That doesn't really work as those velocities are out of rifle barrels...not 3.4" or 5" pistol barrels. Short barrels do not allow any .22 brand of ammo to achieve maximum velocity from what I know. However..there are some brands that get off the starting block very fast and produce an adequate amount of blowback energy. CCI Mini Mags are plenty powerful enough and are fairly clean. Remington Golden Bullets produce an equal if not greater recoil impulse but aren't as clean or reliable.....but they work fine for bulk. Fast ammo like CCI Velocitors, copper, etc will all cycle a P22 but the cost begins to go up and I don't see much reason to purchase more expensive ammo unless it is target grade. Target ammo is sometimes not all that fast nor does it produce enough blowback energy. The five inch barrel is more forgiving than the 3.4". I'd say the biggest problem people have had over the years with ammo is purchasing bulk stuff that simply isn't powerful enough to cycle the slide. A simple change of ammo can solve a lot of issues.....yes, CCI is good. All things equal cost wise and I buy nothing but it....but, costs aren't equal. I've fired 10's of thousands of Federal bulk. Try a box of Rem Golden bullets and see what you think of that. 1917
Will do. Thanks, Rescue08

1 - 14 of 14 Posts