Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all! Just joined and have a small issue with my Walther P22 Target. The top slide cracked right thru at the "P" stamp on the left side of the slide. Has this happened to others? Also, I called the dealer and ordered a new slide in December, which they say is still on the way..... Walther parts hard to find?
I originally purchased this handgun for my wife, never shot anything but Stinger Sub-Sonic thru it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Dana, welcome to the forums. Have you tried giving Walther a call? That's something I'm sure they'd be more than happy to deal directly with you on.

479-242-8500 Ext 7

·
Registered
661 Posts
I’ll echo what spacegunner said. Deal direct and you will get great service, at least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Quite a few P22s have cracked the slides....either at the muzzle cup, the slide catch notch or the very top of the slide....the last one usually from a blown out case. Around here the pistol has a lifetime warranty....free shipping and free repair. Not sure what works in Canada. But Walter advertises a lifetime warranty. They have replaced a number of slides. I would ask for the newer, thicker, strong slide....the one that goes on the Q model pistol. This one does not match the original, is more in the PPQ style rather than the older P99 style. The slide is cast zinc and Walther did beef it up when the Q style was introduced in about 2011. Good luck with it but I expect you really do not need to purchase a new slide. Whoever services the pistols for Walther can take care of the warranty work.

Heck...I'd even ask for the new captive spring slide and captive recoil spring assembly. They have a bunch of em. 1917

Pictured above is a Q model target version. Not sure if you have the original or the Q. Either slide will fit but if you have the original version the slide is not as strong and has one slot on the rail. The Q slide is beefier and more rounded in the PPQ manner. Same goes for the stabilizer which is also stronger. I would still recommend keeping a gap between the stabilizer and muzzle end of the slide. You do not want the slide banging into the stabilizer as the slide closes.

Original style.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you are in the States you may have some luck getting a replacement for the cracked P22 slide.

In Europe they have yet to replace mine that broke in December 2016.

I have tried every venue available and all I got was bs.

No spare P22 slide replacement here. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the Q version of the P22 Target, purchased at Wolverine Supplies back in Manitoba, Canada. I called a few dealers in Edmonton (Largest city in Alberta) and most of them told me that they do not stock or repair Walthers.... Not sure why that is because up until the day the slide initially cracked, the pistol was a gem. The dealer (Wolverine) told me that I would have to purchase a slide ($209 Cdn, something like $100 Usd lol) because Walther didn't honor the warranty here. I emailed Walther, but have yet to receive a reply. Still looking for the original receipt but I got the carry permit in May of 2013, so 5 years at least in my possession. I purchased a pair of Beretta Stampedes at Christmas and my wife has fallen in love with the 357 Mag so I don't really need the Walther immediately. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I will keep trying to get the little pistol repaired, but the parts availability in the frozen north seems to be a bit of an issue.... lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I didn't see pay any attention that you were form Canada earlier. If that's the case Walther Arms won't be of any help to you as they only service the US market. The North Sylva Company is who handles service in Canada. Something else to know is the lifetime warranty on Walther guns is only offered in the US. All guns outside of the US market are covered by a year warranty. I'm not sure how this will effect you getting a replacement slide, but should be something you might want to be prepared to hear. My guess is if it is over a year old they'll just sell you a replacement slide.

Hope this helps some.

Take care.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
That may be unfortunately.....but if you are a reputable firearms manufacturer and have a line with a long history of slides breaking...then you should repair it for free and be quick about it. 1917

·
Registered
913 Posts
Marketing suggestion of the year

I suggest that all Walther P22 handguns sold outside the US be furnished with half a dozen spare slides to boot. There. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, now there's an idea. Walther did email me back, and yes, the warranty only applies to those who reside in the good ol' USA. I was able to find a slide and it will likely arrive in the next couple of days. This little episode has changed my opinion on a couple of things though, one of which is that I am not enthused about getting another plastic Walther. I had thought that the PPQ in 9mm would be a good upgrade for the missus, but now I am canting toward the Ruger, or maybe a Canik. Good cases to be made for all 3.... Thanks again for your comments and assistance...:D

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
I don't blame you. It is bad enough to have parts breaking on a puny .22 pistol or any other caliber for that manner and then to have it occur for 15 years or more and not stand behind your product....I'd move on too. How many other .22 semi auto pistols can you name that break the slides? How many are made of cast zinc? Probably zero. If I had purchased a CCP and the factory refused to replace it after they couldn't repair it I'd move on there too. Umarex isn't all that Walther once was. 1917

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dana, I wouldn't let this discourage you from getting a PPQ in 9mm. Those are great guns that aren't likely to give you any kind of trouble.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had mine since 2001 and had four slides cracked.

The P22 has just one problem: a weak slide.

What's the big deal?

We are about to colonize Mars and a reputable German gunmetal company cannot get its knickers out of a twist and manufacture a solid peace of metal that will last a gnat's fart? :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
P22 cracked slides

By coincidence, my wife and I were shooting our P22's today, and both slides cracked. The guns were purchased March or April, 2005. Failed March, 2018. Fired about 1,000 rounds/year for a total of 13,000 rounds of standard velocity Federal & Remington. No high velocity ammo. Pistols have never been dropped or abused in any way.

UPDATE: I called Walther Customer Service on Monday, and was immediately told the slides were covered by warranty. Within five minutes I had form e-mailed to me for returning the slides. Walther will mail me new slides, once the cracked slides are received.
Years ago we had an extractor problem with one of the guns, and they covered that repair in a similar fashion.
No questions, no hassles, just repair / replace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I had mine since 2001 and had four slides cracked.
WOW ! What kind of round count ? Mine has had maybe 500 rounds at most and has been completely reliable but I'm starting to lose confidence in it with posts like these.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Just talked to Glenn at Ft. Smith last week. They have slides in. They had been out for quite a while. Better call them pronto. 1917

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
I had never cracked a slide in well over 100K rounds in five different pistol. Let Pilkguns shoot one a year ago, 2005 frame and slide. Didn't have the O ring in it....the slide broke entirely off the pistol, first shot for him. Bet he was impressed. Ordered a Q slide for it. 1917

·
Registered
913 Posts
In Europe they won't have any of that "slide cracking" complaining, nowadays

I am not sure how the US Walther Arms views these cracked P22 slides, but let me tell you that here in Europe Walther expects these days from us P22 shooters to rough it, keep a stiff upper lip, pull ourselves together, wipe our tears and carry on shooting our P22 with a cracked slide prolly mended on the go with some sticky chewing gum or something.

We are not meant to be wimps and cry babies here.

There should be no "blah-blah, boo-hoo my slide cracked pleeeeeezzzzze Sir kindly replace it", nonsense here.

You've got it good in the good old US of A, me thinks.

Next time I will buy American. ;)

That's what.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife and I both have P22s, bought in 2005. After thousands of rounds of standard velocity ammo, both slides cracked this past weekend. I called Walther Customer Service on Monday, and was immediately told they were covered by warranty. Within five minutes I had form e-mailed to me for returning the slides. Walther will mail me new slides, once the cracked slides are received.
Years ago we had an extractor problem with one of the guns, and they covered that repair in a similar fashion.
No questions, no hassles, just repair / replace.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts