Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Walther Forum,

I purchased a new CA compliant Walther P22 3.5" pistol yesterday from Cabelas. During my initial disassembly and cleaning, I noticed a ring in the barrel bore approximately where the barrel nut meets the barrel sleeve (see pictures).

My questions:
-Has anyone seen this before?
-Is this a manufacturing defect?
-Since this is a CA compliant pistol, could it be some sort of anti-tampering weakening of the barrel to prevent people from removing the barrel nut without breaking off the end of the barrel?

Thanks in advance. I am going to call Walther Monday morning.
-Bamboozled

P.S. In case people were wondering, I purchased the CA model because I have relatives in the PRK and I didn't want it to be banned there.

P.P.S. Sorry for such a long first post.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I'm at the farm....about 25 miles from Louisiana. Bring it over and I'll swap you an old P22 barrel....that way I can send it in and get a new one. Then I'm going to tell them where I live so I won't get any of the California foolishness with my pistol parts. The CA model has been out for over 12-14 years so no that is not normal. Wonder how it shoots? :D

OK, big old yard it mowed, going to clean the P22 and S&W M&P .22 and if the wind has died down...going to put them in the rest and see which one is more accurate. Thinking about putting my new Shield and P99c in there too and see what they can do at 25 meter. Don't have the 5" barrel for the P22...going to be short barrel against short barrel. Put your money down....shooting beings momentarily...if the wind has died down. Otherwise going to wash the truck and go to town for some stuff. M1911

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Not that it matters, but I'm confused as to why you'd buy a California-approved version of the pistol when you live in Louisiana. I could understand if you were planning to move to California ... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call Walther tomorrow. Unfortunately, any barrel swap is going to involve sending it back to Walther. Since I want to be able to travel to and from the People's Republik of Kalifornia with it when I visit relatives, I'm stuck with the CA compliant parts.

Still just,
Bamboozled

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Update:

I called Walther and spoke with Casey and Mark in the Technical Services department. After emailing them the pictures their gunsmith's opinion was that it was a manufacturing defect. So, back to Walther it goes... all under warranty, of course.:D So far a great customer service experience.

-Bamboozled

·
Registered
894 Posts
For reference. If you are a non Californian resident you can bring in a non CA roster pistol. You must not bring in a threaded barrel no mags over 10 round capacity. If Walter replaces the Pistol see if you can get a non CA version. Calguns.net has good info regarding how California gun laws apply. If you get a non CA roster pistol you will need an extra barrel with threads removed or permanently secured.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
All you need is a CA barrel nut and a regular barrel nut. Put the CA one on there when in CA, remove it when not. The only difference is the wrench lands and I use blue threadlocker on mine anyway. That way you can take it off when out of CA....that is, if it is a problem to begin with. All P22 have threaded barrels. The CA barrel nut is what was worked out with CA regarding the P22 per Walther. M1911

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear ya, but CA compliant P22s are marked "CA" on the slide and permanent thread locker is used for the barrel not to be considered "threaded". CA used to be such a nice place....:(:mad:

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
So.....you have a CA compliant nut on the same slide that has a big ugly CA printed on it and blue threadlocker. What's the difference and who is checking anyway. I can remove a factory CA locktited nut in 20 seconds....don't tell CA though. :rolleyes: M1911

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I use a propane torch. Had to use one to remove the nut on my new S&W compact. The wrench is 2x plus the size of the P22 wrench. There are several threads regarding the tightness of the nut on those. I[m pretty sure the torque required would have broken the zinc P22 frame. I wasn't certain it wasn't going to break the steel frame of the Smith. When I got it apart I noticed how sturdy the pistol was made. Thick steel barrel, two steel pins through a steel frame.

I have never removed a CA nut but have read of people removing their with heat. I did red locktite a regular barrel nut on one time to keep it from loosening. What I found was that even with the barrel nut tightened and locked in place that slight peening of the frame still allowed the barrel/sleeve to become a bit loose in the frame. That made me wonder how long the barrel would stay tight in a CA pistol. You don't have to heat the barrel sleeve to a damaging high temp...just get a wrench on it while it is still pretty hot. You can file flats on the nut if you want to make removal and installation with a wrench possible. You can get new barrel nuts from Ft Smith. M1911

·
Registered
10,575 Posts

I lifted this picture of the machining that was pictured at RimFireCentral of the barrel a Member got with his new Smith compact. What....has the art of barrel making been lost? Final inspection?????? M1911

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>>What I found was that even with the barrel nut tightened and locked in place that slight peening of the frame still allowed the barrel/sleeve to become a bit loose in the frame.<<

The barrels shoot loose? This is just getting better and better. I should just stick with my Rugers...:mad:

>>I use a propane torch.<<

With my luck, I'd melt the plastic and break the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
If you find any aluminum on a P22....:D...let us know. That puppy is polymer, cast zinc, mim'd steel and a bit of stamped steel with a steel barrel and sleeve. My new Smith is on the way back up north. I got it out, cleaned the barrel extra good and had a close look. No wonder it wouldn't shoot bug holes. M1911

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE

I got a call from Fort Smith today, Aaron from Technical Services said the defect is from a barrel obstruction and it's not covered underneath the warranty. I Feel Like Walther is really trying hard to screw me. When I asked to speak with a supervisor Aaron told me there were none on duty. Aaron also didn't care to hear when I explained I bought the gun new from Cabela's and have not even put the first bullet in it yet

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.