Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have 2 p22ca and have lightly searched to no avail.when removing the slide the left side of the barrel hood, opposite ejection side has the black paint almost cleanly scraped off on both. They get oiled and one has 2k rounds one 500 but both have the same marks. Is this common?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts

Skeeter, I'm assuming you are referring to removal of the finish on the barrel sleeve. See picture above of a new QD pistol. Although this pistol has been fired very few times you can clearly see where the muzzle end of the slide is moving along the sleeve. Continued firing will remove a considerable amount of the black finish here. It is common not only on the P22 but on most semi auto pistols. The barrel or in this case, the barrel sleeve, does not fit tight inside of the barrel hole at the muzzle end of the slide. Yet, as you cycle the slide manually or fire the pistol the muzzle can drag along the barrel/sleeve.

I've never seen anything more than finish wear develop...on any semi auto firearm. I have some older barrel sleeves with 30,000 cycles or so on them and I'd guess 60% of the black is gone but the steel in the sleeve and the hole in the slide are still at new tolerances. This play is one reason semi auto pistols with a slide are not considered as accurate as pistols with an internal bolt (Ruger for example). In the case of the P22, the barrel is firmly affixed to the frame by a tight barrel nut...but the slide has the possibility of a little movement and not necessarily returning to exactly the same place with each shot. The importance of this is that the sights are on the slide and if the slide doesn't reset to precisely the same position....then the sight alignment changes in relation to the barrel. This is one reason such a pistol is called a plinker yet is likely more accurate than the shooter....especially off hand.

Just make sure if you take the barrel nut off ( hard to do on a CA pistol, the nut is red loctited on ) that the sleeve is always indexed properly before retightening the nut. 1917

And here is a picture of one with plenty of rounds fired. Ignore the lettering, that was for some thread, somewhere but do note that the finish is almost entirely removed from the barrel sleeve. It is of no consequence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts