Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on the P22. Does anybody have one? Are they fun pistols to shoot? Accurate?

I'm planning on getting a P99 9mm, but I thought my wife and kids might enjoy shooting something like the P22.

Just curious about any feedback...

Thanks!
Jim

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Check out:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

They have a whole section dedicated to rimfire Walther pistols.  I've seen a lot of posts about the P22 there.  Keep one thing in mind when reading some of their posts, they tend to judge all .22's with competition standards in mind.  I've seen some particularly harsh posts regarding the inexpensive, entry level .22 LR caliber pistols over there and I was left thinking they were comparing apples and oranges.  When you're talking about a $250-$300 entry level .22 LR caliber pistol, it's not fair to compare it to a competition / match grade pistol that either starts at $500 plus or has had several hundred dollars of after-market custom parts added to it (i.e. tricked out Rugers).  

That said, they generally know their stuff and can be very helpful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you like the P99, then you’ll love the P22… According to all the hoopla I’ve read, you need to get one of the newer models, with a prefix starting with “N”. (which I did)

I bought the “Limited Edition” that comes with both barrels and a fancy case. So far, after nearly 1000 rounds, I’m very pleased. I’ve been shooting the Federal bulk ammunition you buy from Wally World, and it’s obvious the little gun likes the “hotter” stuff, but for the price of the ammo, I’ll tolerate the occasional weaker load.

Unless your shooting paper off of a sand bag, the little P22 is accurate enough to bounce a can with every shot… If you have ever shot a Ruger with the short tapered barrel, you know how hard it is to hit anything with it. It’s not that way with the P22… At 15 feet, rapid-fire shots are very controllable, even with the shorter barrel. Recoil is controllable, even for a child’s hand…

This is a nice gun! If I were to choose only one I think I would choose the shorter, more compact barrel… I’ll probably buy another one so my son and I can shoot together when he gets bigger… For now, he’s learning the basics with a P22 Airsoft…

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a P22 2 or 3 years ago and mine has worked great. BUT, I am one of those people who cleans his pistol after every range session, including the magazines. Also, I have tried several types of 22LR and everything seems to work in my P22.

My wife had never fired a weapon until I got this P22, and now she enjoys target shooting with me on occasion. It's a good pistol to introduce someone to handguns, teach basic safety points, how a pistol functions, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a p22 and a p99QA love em both. app 600rds through the 99 and about 400 through the 22,not 1 ftf or fte. just got em a month ago. shoot every chance i get

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have bought p22 two days ago and have fired about 200 rounds of winchester and federal ammo no prob. I think it is very accurate for 3.42'' barell. look foward going to the range again.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have a P22 and a SW99 9mm that I bought last week.  Now as far as firing the little beauties...Mother Nature is not cooperating!  We got 3 inches of snow last night and more is expected this weekend

ARGH!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did fire another 350 in one session and somewhere in the last 100 did get one feed malfunction. This is he first time it happened. It did not strip the round from mag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new p22 in Jan 05. I've shot about 2000 round and it jams all the time. I'm going to contact the manu on getting it fix or replaced.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ArchieO, I've had a few of those failure to feed's. I've observed that some of them are from weaker powered ammo and some are from shooting with a weak wrist... Better ammo (or patience, I think the recoil spring will "break in" over some time) with the former and a better grip with the latter...

pbw, I know there were some problems with the earlier P22's and as I understand it, S&W was pretty good to fix them. Most certainly give them a call and politely explain your situation. I'll be interested in your out come... Best of luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My p22 does that all the time with rem ammo. and won't even load any ammo with one clip.

I talk to SW and walther atleast 5-8 times since i got it a couple years ago. they give me all this BS. I have sent it back to them twice, i payed shipping both times, and they sent it back to me, say that either it is fine or they fixed it.

So i fixed it myself. One of the clips still did not work and i asked if they would replace it. They said that i should send the whole gun in and get it cheked out. I said not it works fine and they just give me crap to anything i ask. very displeased

After i fixed my p22 it works mostly flawless with Fedral cheap-crap ammo and the right clip. so thats what i live with.

·
Registered
821 Posts
FINALLY picked up my P22 yesterday evening!  

Report so far: the fit is tight, the gun is cool-lookin', and I've never seen so much factory grease on a gun before!

I'm planning on a trip to the range with my wife on Thursday, and I need to clean that puppy up beforehand.  I'd be happy to let you know how it performs, but I have a question about cleaning first.

Here in Georgia, we are supposed to be getting severe thunderstorms for the next two days.  Now, if I use a solvent to get all that nasty grease off, should I be worried about humidity in the air and the chance of a rusty gun?  

I'll take a chance in answering my own question and saying that scenario probably isn't very likely, but any additional insight would be appreciated.  Can't wait to shoot it!

-stunks

·
Registered
913 Posts
stunksinatl,

The best piece of advice I can give is:

1. Clean/remove the factory grease from slide and the mags (disassemble using common sense, i.e. do not completely turn to bolts amd pieces). Then use a Teflon dry-lube sprey, but don't over do it, either. Wipe clean all excess lube before firing.

2. Check the stove bolt (a small Philips screw), found in the middle of the frame -- when slide is removed. Use blue loctite to tighten it in place.

3. Do not use super hot ammo like Stingers and Velocitors, all the time. Use mostly Standard Velocity ammo.

4. Now, in order to reliably cycle the Standard Velocity fodder, leave the P22 in the safe cocked (not with slide pulled), just cock the hammerand leave it like that for prolonged period of time (or between use). When in store, leave it cocked.

5. Replace the #3 front sight with the #2.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Future P22 owners,

During cleaning and reassembly of my new P22, which is an L serial number, BTW, I noticed that the safety lever roll pin (the one that tends to shake loose on some P22s) was "dented" by the factory to keep from popping out.

I've read on various message boards that Walther had started doing this fix on newer P22s as they were assembled in response to the loose roll pin complaint from consumers.

So, I'm happy to report that my P22 is indeed dented!!!  If anyone else is looking to purchase a P22, and happens to find an "L", then hopefully it will have this factory fix.

Now, as long as I don't have the "walking safety" problem I've read about, I think that my new P22 will be in top notch condition.  I'm off to the range on Thursday, I'll post a short range report afterwards.

-stunks

P.S. Thanks again to Crete for recommending cleaning procedures.  I used blue loctite on the "stove bolt" and also the barell nut just in case, thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I am tempted to get this gun, but I hear a lot of mixed stuff on various sites. It kinda seems like hit or miss. I don't need another headache...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Perhaps after my range trip, I can persuade you!

From my understanding, there are indeed things you need to do before firing (loctite on a screw, safety rollpins, etc).  However, newer versions already have many of the hiccups fixed.

I'm sure you already know all that, but the little pistol just feels good in your hand.  After getting all that nasty factory grease off, I'm extremely confident in the pistol.  It feels a lot smoother now.  Thursday won't come quickly enough...

-stunks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts