Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new to the game but my P 22 works great with CCI Mini Mags, Velocitors and any HV ammo I've tried. With cheap ammo I get failure to feed so I use the Velocitors and Mini Mags exclusively. Accuracy is great. I only shoot it at 15 yards because it's going to be a carry guns and I get groups of less than 4 inches with it.

I've also shot the new Federal Punch ammo. It works great as well.

Mine has the captured mainspring. I think that has a lot to do with it. Trigger pull from the factory is 4 pounds and breaks clean so I'm going to leave it that way. I don't want a 2 pound trigger on a carry gun. My target .22s are set up with sub 2 pound triggers.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
120 Posts
I'll throw in another comment about the P22. I have a P22q and have not had any issues with it. Been feeding it Federal American Eagle .22 high velocity rounds and it works just fine. (I don't buy CCI anymore because they were extremely unreliable in my Mossberg .22 rifle). I also have a bucket of Remington golden .22 that I bought based on availability and seeing multiple comments about it working in most .22s, but haven't started using it yet.

My P22q is perfectly functional, but is a little small. It's about the same size as my PPS with 7 round mag. I've been using my P22q as training for my kids before easing them into full size rounds, as well as just plinking in the woods.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
The reason the RemGoldens work is that they produce a lot of recoil. The slide on the P22 is pretty heavy although the engineers try to balance out the mass of the slide with the recoil spring and mainspring. But the Ruger SR22 and S&W compact .22 both have much lighter aluminum slides and will cycle a wider variety of ammo. I don't know why the Remington Goldens pop out of there but they do. You can feel the difference. That is what blows the slide back and the RGB's have quite a bit of it for bulk ammo. They are sure smoky and dirty though. I weighed the slides of the other pistols way, way back and they are considerably lighter than the P22 slide....29% lighter or something like that.

I haven't seen any of the Punch ammo....will have to snag some when I find it.

As far as I can tell the captured spring is exactly the same spring that came in the original pistol. Same diameter, same construction method, same number of coils. 1917

·
Registered
10,506 Posts

Remember, the long spring is compressed to essentially the same length as the captive spring when the pistol is assembled. I see no reason why the captive spring would have any different functional effect on the pistol. 1917

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Mine is one of the original models. I have replaced the slide, captured spring, and frame (the originals were badly cerakoted by the previous owner and were chipped and pitted really bad) to the newer P22Q model. The feed ramp is polished and the magazine safety has been removed.
The rest of the internals are original stock from 2003. It will eat anything I feed it. Hi Velocity or Standard. Rarely do I have an issues.
I'm very happy with mine. I also have a Ruger SR22, Walther PPK/S 22, S&W M&P 22 Compact, and a Taurus TX22. The P22 is my favorite and gets shot more than the others put together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of your mentioned about a 400 round break-in. What are others' experience and what's the best ammo to use during that break-in period?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
One of your mentioned about a 400 round break-in. What are others' experience and what's the best ammo to use during that break-in period?
Welcome to the forum.

I would start by trying several different brands of standard velocity ammunition. If none of those work then I would switch to high velocity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Start with Blazers or Mini Mags for break in. I shot a few hundred before trying SV ammo and my P 22 now shoots anything I try in it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would start by trying several different brands of standard velocity ammunition. If none of those work then I would switch to high velocity.
I always like to shoot the lowest velocity ammo in my .22 pistols that will function reasonably consistently. Standard-grade .22 ammo isn't always the most reliable, so having some malfunctions is expected and isn't necessarily a gun problem.

Mine all shoot standard velocity, but I don't have a P22. Generally the P22s don't seem to function consistently with standard velocity ammo, but I'd try anyway.

The P22's slide is known to fracture, and using a higher velocity round than required may cause problems in the long run.

A question for 1917-1911M - What is the main reason the P22 won't function with SV ammo?

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Lddrizzt, I wonder what your trigger bar ears look like. The very, very early pistols came with properly designed trigger bar ears but the magazines didn't have the rim stagger slots and many didn't feed well. 1917

Above is a photo of one.
A question for 1917-1911M - What is the main reason the P22 won't function with SV ammo?
jvk45, the P22 is a fairly light weight pistol and lacks the weight to absorb the recoil energy of a round. The slide is fairly heavy when compared to the two other similar pistols. The barrel on the 3.4" model does not allow a long time for the blow back gasses act on the slide. All of the above can cause the slide to short cycle causing the fired case to not eject, the next round to not be picked up as the feed rail was not blown far enough rearward. The P22 is not the only pistol effected by such problems.

What to do about it.....first, the pistol requires a firm grip to help all of the blowback energy go into movement of the slide and not be absorbed by movement of the pistol. Next ammunition needs to be found that provides enough blowback energy to fully cycle the slide. This is why high velocity ammo is recommended. What is a bit confusing is that many brands of ammo show similar velocities on the box. But, those velocities are out of rifle barrels. Velocities out of sub 4" barrels can be quite different from ammo to ammo.

I have taken bulk Federal, Winchester and Rem Golden bullets and although the Rem is a 36 gr round the recoil difference is noticeable. The only thing I can attribute this to is that the primer/powder in the Rem round burns faster and propels the projectile out of the barrel much quicker creating enough blowback pressure to fully cycle the slide. The 5" barrel is less picky. You can easily test this by getting a 50 round box of quiets, or suppressed or target ammo and compare them side by side with CCI Mini Mags and Rem Goldens. The latter two will kick noticeably harder. And the pistol will function as intended. Because the pistol is light in weight it more easily moves rearward unless held firmly....not a death grip, but firmly. This really applies to all semi auto pistols. Firm grip.

You could remove coils from the recoil spring to allow softer shooting rounds to cycle the slide but this is a two edged sword. You need the energy of the spring to close the slide while chambering the next round. Since day one the pistol has had not so much an issue with being blown fully rearward but it has had an issue with the slide chambering a round and closing. This was caused by the tip of the hammer getting caught in the small gap between the safety drum and rear of the breech block. The hammer was redesigned in about 2007 to address this. What happens is the fairly weak recoil spring moving he heavy slide over the hammer didn't have enough energy to strip a round from the mag and bump over the hammer tip. The result....the slide simply stopped. A gently nudge on the rear would cause the slide to close. More powerful ammo helps here too in my opinion as it creates a greater rebound of the slide off of the slide stop ( polymer take down lever).

A .22 round is pretty small and weak and has a lot of work to do with its recoil blowback energy....Propel the projectile, move the mass of the slide, blow the spent case out of the chamber, overcome slide movement friction and cock the mainspring while also moving the mass of the hammer. Quite a bit to accomplish. Bottom line....the ammo needs to produce enough blowback energy/blowback impulse to accomplish all of this. I'm not of the opinion a P22 requires any break in. A lighter slide, a lighter internal bolt (Ruger and others) , a longer barrel, more pistol mass and you have a less ammo picky pistol. My last discussion with the guy in Germany responsible for these decisions was in regard to my wanting a captive recoil spring assembly and an aluminum slide. He said he would think about it. I think the PPQ .22 got all of the upgrades but it is a much larger pistol. The P22 slowly evolves but will likely remain as close to the current price point as possible. 1917

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks 1917-1911M - I figured you would know the answer.

I may have to pick-up a used, and maybe problematic, P22 after all. I enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting and problem-solving.

If anyone is "just done" with their P22 - send me a PM.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Remember they all have a lifetime warranty....new,, used, whatever. The only disqualifier...perhaps, is meddling around with parts and screwing them up doing your own gunsmithing. At least most replacement parts aren't too expensive. I paid $225 ea. for my last two P22s from KY gun co with no tax and a $20 transfer fee locally. I don't think you will find any deals like that presently. 1917

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
What is the main reason the P22 won't function with SV ammo?
Mine does. It's actually one of my most reliable .22 pistols. My 1965 PPK on the other hand functions best with HV. That one won't go through more than a single magazine of SV without some sort of malfunction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Automotive exterior Office equipment Bumper Rim Wood

It's got the nice rounded ears. Date code says it's a 2003.
And like I said, it will fire anything I put in it.
Now that I've taken a real close up shot, I realize I need to to tear it down some more and give it a a thorough cleaning. I'm kind of embarrassed. :eek:
And I have the newer magazines with the rim stagger slots.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Thanks, you don't see many of the original MIMd trigger bar ears. They were soon replaced with a trigger bar that wa stamped and folded. Unfortunately the stamping process creates one really sharp sheared side and that side points up on the trigger bar ears. This sharp edge really chews into the softer zinc slide. If you ever do take the frame halves apart how about a photo or two of the entire trigger bar. I've never seen a photo of one like you have. 1917

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
>I'd also suggest considering a PPQ22. Mine functions pretty well with almost any ammo, even standard velocity.<<
My sentiments exactly. My PPQ 22 in 5" eats anything and everything I throw at it!

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
I like how the Walther P22 looks just like the P99 but much cheaper, just wondering, is it any good? Are there upgrades easily found for it? Sorry, I'm a newb, just need some guidance. Thanks guys!
As we often do.....we get off topic and into all things Walther sometimes. The P99 is a service/military grade firearm. It has an unlocking breech with most of the important parts made of steel. The P99, PPQ ( not a .22), PDP, PPS pistols are made in Ulm Germany....the closest thing we still have to the old Walther manufacturing plant of yesteryear. Walther is now owned by UMAREX maker of airsoft firearms among other items. They manufacture the P22. Importation and distribution was originally through S&W but is now through Ft. Smith Arkansas at their new plant....which carries the Walther logo but is still Umarex owned. Umarex pistols are the PK .380, CCP, P22, and some pistols for Colt and S&W and others. The P22 has a polymer grip, a zinc frame, zinc slide and comes in two barrel length, 2.4" and 5" with a weighted clamp on cover. That pistol is called the target version.

So you have one striker fired pistol of the highest caliber design with the P99...a pistol manufactured for self defense, police and military capability. Then you have a zinc plinker built to a price point for the .22 cal pistol. Other than external ergonomics there is little to compare between the Ulm pistols and the Umarex pistols. While the P22 might sell new for $225, the Ulm pistols all are over $500 and some considerably so. Digging into specific details would take time. 1917

·
Registered
331 Posts
I purchased a used P22 a couple years ago. When I bought it for next to nothing I noticed that it looked like it had been either dropped from a few stories up or had been thrown. After a few rounds the slide bit the dust. As I had nothing to lose I contacted Fort Worth and they sent me a new slide in the newer modification in the nickel finish. The gun since then has never missed a beat. I have over 5000 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet or CCI mini mag. No jams or failures at all. Oh I forgot I also have used about 500 Winchester wildcats made for semiautos with no issues.

·
Registered
380 Posts
(SNIP) Umarex pistols are the PK .380, CCP, P22, and some pistols for Colt and S&W and others. The P22 has a polymer grip, a zinc frame, zinc slide and comes in two barrel length, 2.4" and 5" with a weighted clamp on cover. That pistol is called the target version.

So you have one striker fired pistol of the highest caliber design with the P99...a pistol manufactured for self defense, police and military capability. Then you have a zinc plinker built to a price point for the .22 cal pistol. Other than external ergonomics there is little to compare between the Ulm pistols and the Umarex pistols. While the P22 might sell new for $225, the Ulm pistols all are over $500 and some considerably so. Digging into specific details would take time. 1917
I believe you can include the PPQ22 to that list as well.

The PPQ22 does differ from the P22 in that the slide is machined aluminum and not cast zinc like the P22.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts