Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like how the Walther P22 looks just like the P99 but much cheaper, just wondering, is it any good? Are there upgrades easily found for it? Sorry, I'm a newb, just need some guidance. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a decidedly negative opinion about my P22 (CA version). It just doesn't work well. Even CCI mini mags (basically the gold standard for high velocity rimfire) cause it to choke nearly every magazine. Anything less than perfect technique with a super stout grip results in failure. Many early pistols were known to crack the zinc-alloy slide (cheap materials used).

To be fair, they have revised the P22 and made some significant improvements/upgrades that are not present on my pistol.

The most aggravating thing, to me, is that my pistol has a magazine disconnect as well as no decocker. I'm pretty sure the only way to decock the pistol is to insert a magazine and pull the trigger with the safety on (the hammer falls but the safety blocks the hammer from the firing pin). Never felt safe to me. I understand that this problem has been resolved on the more recent P22 Q model.

The P22 is also just very, very SMALL. It's nowhere near a 'regular' size pistol. It feels distinctly dainty. Check it out in this picture, top right corner, next to a PDP. It's SOOOO small.

My Walther/Colt 1911 in 22LR by comparison is superb. Feels just like the real thing (minus the recoil). The Walther/Colt eats all sorts of ammo and seldom has a complaint. It'll get jammed up every once in a while (it is a 22, after all) but we're talking 1 in 100 or 1 in 150 on the 1911 rimfire vs 1 in 10 on the P22 rimfire.

Regarding upgrades... there is a factory laser sight available for the P22. The pistol does feature a rail so you can add some rail based accessories, including a floating top rail via the bottom rail pic slot.

In terms of modification... it's going to be slim pickings compared to something like a Ruger Mark IV. The P22, relatively speaking, is not going to have many accessories or options beyond mounting things to the available rail.

Personally, I'd look elsewhere for a 22 pistol. I hear the PPQ in 22lr is more reliable. The Ruger Mark IV is infinitely more customizable (if you can get over the 'ray gun' look). The Walther/Colt 1911 is tons more fun... plus a 1911.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd also suggest considering a PPQ22. Mine functions pretty well with almost any ammo, even standard velocity.

The P22 can be problematic and frustrating if you just want to shoot, and possibly not tinker and test a bit to get it to work consistently. It's also tiny, as AH noted. The PPQ is the same size as the 9mm PPQ.

22 pistols can be finicky about ammo, and it seems all can have issues.

I have a PPQ and a Taurus TX22. I like the PPQ better, but the Taurus is generally more reliable (but has had a new barrel installed).

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I've got a 2009 P22 Military with OD green frame and 3.4" barrel. It has been an excellent little pistol for me reliable with every type of .22 shot through it including some that was forty years old.

I like its small size as it fits my hand perfectly. Its got a good SA trigger and I love the paddle magazine release. There's no decocker on mine so it can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. The magazine disconnect has never been an issue and I don't even notice it. Some people do seem to have difficulty with reassembly but thats never been a problem for me either.

The only thing that I changed on mine was to install a FO front sight. I do have the 5" barrel conversion and laser but have only used those a few times. I've got the threaded barrel adapter but don't use it either. Taylor Tactical sells a kit to boost magazine capacity to 13 rounds.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I pulled out one of my older P22s OD green I bought years ago, still new in box a week or so ago. I wanted to shoot some of my Suppressed .22 ammo selection to see what worked best. Flawless performance, granted about 50 rounds, nor extensive. The experience matched what I've had with my other original black P22 - never an issue. So sample of two, perfect.

Reactions: Angry Hippo

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
The most aggravating thing, to me, is that my pistol has a magazine disconnect as well as no decocker. I'm pretty sure the only way to decock the pistol is to insert a magazine and pull the trigger with the safety on (the hammer falls but the safety blocks the hammer from the firing pin). Never felt safe to me. I understand that this problem has been resolved on the more recent P22 Q model.
Angry Hippo you can remove the mag disconnect or leave it in and remove the small spring that operates it. All it does is hold the trigger bar down and away from the hammer strut/sear until a mag is inserted and presses it up and away from the trigger bar. A lot of people have removed them.

The decocker came in the QD pistol and involved several internal changes, lowered primary hammer hooks, modified breech block, modified safety drum and the installation of a sliding lever. For some reason it was dropped in 2018 or 2019 with a return to the original concept.. The only thing I don't like about it is that it makes this one P22 function differently from all of the others I've gotten used to. I can remove the internal lever and eliminate its function.

With regard to the manual safety and dropping the hammer. There are two safeties at work. One, the safety drum physically blocks the falling hammer from hitting the inertia driven firing pin and there is an internal cam on top of the drum that engages a slot in the firing pin that also blocks forward movement. This system has been in the pistol from day one. So, I'd have to say it is pretty safe. Hope that helps. 1917

Above is a photo of the left side internals. You can see the polymer mag disconnect safety and the tiny spring above it that powers it. Both parts are easily removed but you have to remove the polymer grip and left side of the frame half.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts

The safety drum with the decocker lever had a slot in it. When the safety is rotated toward safe the lever presses the decocking lever forward. It in turn forces the firing pin block down, which forces the nose of the sear down, which releases the hammer at the proper moment.

Similar to the function of the drum and lever in the old PP pistols. The notch in the rear of the firing pin is where the internal cam on the safety drum locks it from moving when the safety is rotated to safe. 1917

·
Registered
26 Posts
18” steel plate. 55 yards. Off hand standing on me hind two. CCI Minimag. 40 rounds fired with 38 hits. P22, 3.45” barrel. I slicked up the trigger to a crisp single action no creep 3.5 pounds pull weight. I did also add a trigger over travel stop. Trigger snob I am.
Plant Water Sky Tree Natural landscape
Plant Leaf Tree Wood Road surface

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Trigger over travel stop detail.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I like my P22. It works great with HV ammo and works fine with CCI Mini Mags. I normally shoot Stingers and Velocitors in mine and have about 99% reliability. The occational misfire will be a failure to feed but is quickly overcome by pushing the slide forward. The more I shoot it the better the reliability has become. It took about 400 rounds to be problem free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a P22(Q) for about a year. It has been happy with CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors. Aguila low speed has given me a lot of light strikes and failure to extract.
It's small, I think of that as a bonus. Cleaning is straightforward, nothing to complain about really.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since your question is one of opinion, here's mine:
  1. I've had two P22 models, the standard and the target. Both were terribly unreliable. Obviously, neither is in my safe anymore.
  2. Do yourself a favor and get the PPQ M2 in 22LR. I have the 5" target version and it's among my top 3 favorite plinkers (along with my Glock 44 and Beretta M9 22). You may have to hunt to find it, but you'll love it. Here's mine:
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a P22(Q) for about a year. It has been happy with CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors. Aguila low speed has given me a lot of light strikes and failure to extract.
It's small, I think of that as a bonus. Cleaning is straightforward, nothing to complain about really.
I echo what AdmiralAckbar said above. Mine is a 2013 model and has been fed thousands of rounds of nothing but CCI Mini Mag 0030 and CCI Velocitor 0047 both in 40 grain. From day 1 there has never been a failure of any sort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually practice with my 9mm pistol at the gun range, but it has been difficult to find 9mm ammo and it is very expensive. Since 22lr ammo is cheaper to shoot than 9mm ammo, I purchased a Walther P22 CA pistol earlier this year although I had to wait 4 months to receive it.

Like other owners of the Walther P22, I found it to be very finicky when shooting certain 22lr ammo, even high velocity ammo . . . likes CCI Mini Mags, Aguilar Super Extra and Remington Golden Bullets but not Federal Value Pack or other ammo brands (e.g., number of failure to feed or eject issues).

There are a couple of good videos on the Internet to fix flaws or prevent failures to feed or eject issues by smoothing out or polishing the ramp, hammer and breech/safety block — see
and
. Polishing the hammer and flattening the ridge seems to help reduce the friction so the hammer doesn’t catch the breech/safety block when the slide goes back after firing each round.

There are a couple of upgrades to consider so plinking or shooting the Walther P22 will be more enjoyable and more reliable. If you have the P22q or CA models (rather than the newer QD version), replace the OEM separate recoil spring and guide rod with a captured spring guide rod so it would be easier to disassemble or reassemble the pistol after cleaning. Three companies offer after market captured spring guide rods for the P22; I got mine from Tandemkross. Another upgrade is to replace the front white dot sight with a fiber optic front sight for the P22 from HiViz, which includes LitePipes in red, green and white.

·
Registered
65 Posts
^^^ This is yet another reason to skip the P22 in favor of the PPQ M2 22. Why buy a gun and then have to tweak it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really like mine, I have the newest version. It shoots cci fine, no jams or ftfs, but if you put cheap ammo in it you'll start have the slide not feed rounds, but put cci and it's a dream to shoot, accurate too

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
18” steel plate. 55 yards. Off hand standing on me hind two. CCI Minimag. 40 rounds fired with 38 hits. P22, 3.45” barrel. I slicked up the trigger to a crisp single action no creep 3.5 pounds pull weight. I did also add a trigger over travel stop. Trigger snob I am. View attachment 100902
Man o man.....I'v fired a few hundred thousand rounds through P22s but I can't find any that will punch holes in the steel. :cool: 55 yds is a long way. Good shooting. Now "trigger snob" if you really want to play around with your P22 remove the DA hammer strut. You will be left with a SA only pistol but the trigger will reset in about 3/16". Overtravel and pre-travel and you have a fun target pistol. Want to go a step further....add a relief cut to the sear and adjust the edge of the hammer hooks until you get to the trigger pull weight you want. I run 2.5 lbs.

JB Weld....easily removed, adjusted, etc. 1917

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
My P22Q never bothered me. I own a PPQ .22 too, but I prefer the P22Q for recreational shooting. It fits my hand perfectly. Only the original fumbling recoil spring is a real nuisance, almost a cheek. I therefore bought the captured stainless steel guide rod assembly from Galloway Precision. Since then, reassembling the pistol is a simple task. The most recent P22Q I bought comes from Walther with a captured recoil spring. That's how the design should have been from the start.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts