Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to post this where I can get a response. I just received a package in the mail with a FedEx box and a prepaid mailing label along with a letter on State of California Attorney General letterhead stating that I must send my P-22 in to be retrofitted at the factory. This is because it has a threaded barrel, ie; a barrel with threads on it and is in violation of the CA Dangerous Weapons Control Law Ch 2.3, Article 1, Section 12276.1 (a)(4)(A), an assualt weapon statute because it has a threaded barrel that is capable of accepting a suppressor.

When I purchased this pistol it was on the approved list in the original configuration from the manufacturer and approved by the state of California. At the time of purchase it was legal in that configuration and since then it seems that the state of CA has decided that it must be retrofitted.

Now my questions would be -

1- If it was legal when I purchased it (and it should be given legal status by the state of CA since it was on the "approved" list), should it not be allowed to be registered under that act and grandfathered in much like the current legal "grandfathered in" existing registered AR-15's and .50 Cal rifles? Why would this not qualify to be "grandfathered in"?

2- Is this for real? Can the state of CA determine that they made an error and that I must be held responsible for their error. Don't they have the responsibiity to determine status prior to placement on the "approved" list so they should not have conflicting laws, regulations and exceptions. At what point must the state of CA accept legal responsibilty for passing bad laws which are contradictory to other laws that they pass? Shouldn't legislators and government entitites be held responsible for knowing the law and conforming to the law?

3- The shipping label placed notice insured the value at $100.00 which is way under half the price that I paid for the pistol and less than I could currently sell it for. What happens if it gets "lost" at that point the state of CA has deprived me of the value of my property without due process.

4- If I do not comply to fix the error that they promulgated by placing and approving the original version on the approved list in direct contradiction to the 2003 act, then I will be held liable for enforcement action, ie; prosecution for having an assualt weapon.

5- What should I do? That's the real question at this point in time.

More to come - have to do more research. Anyone know a non liberal pro-gun group that would like to take this up and challenge the state of CA? Where's the ACLU when my rights are being violated and I may face prosecution from big brother when I have not done anything illegal.

Also posting this out to the general section.  

-Please go to the General Discussion Forum to follow the active thread.  

Active thread.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Please refrain from duplicate making posts.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.