Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of accuracy might I expect from a p22, in either standard or the target barrels?

I'm looking @ possibly getting a p22, a browning or a ruger, and am interested in the gun's accuracy.

Also, is the 5" model capable of reverting to the shorter barrel?

Are the shorter barrels available if I want to purchase later?

I've seen pics of the P22 with a threaded barrel protruding from the slide - is this an aftermarket barrel, or what's left after removing the compensator?

R

·
0 Posts
i just got mine about alittle over a week ago and am completely satisfied with it. i bought it for my girlfriend for a target gun and something for her to carry in her purse. i ran 300 rounds of winchester lead .22lr through it in about a half hour to see how the reliabilty was. it was great and as far as accuracy, i shot it all the way out to 25 yards and put all round on a paper plate. and as far as 15 yards or closer i was shooting the center of the wally world targets out. so i would say it is excellent in mine, which is the 3.5 inch barrel. i would llike to buy another one. they are much better than any semi-auto .22lr pistol i have ever owned. my dad has a ruger and its great if you just want something for target. but i like the fact of the great size, reliability, and accuracy of the walther. its a great pistol to just throw in the waist band. hope that helps you .

·
Registered
187 Posts
I started with the base 3.42" brl model. Shot that for a year, and just got the 5" brl conversion. It is usually cheaper to go this route, if you want 2 brls.
I find that the 5" brl buys me a bit more accuracy at 50ft, offhand position. I also just added a red dot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased mine (5" barrel with a N at the front of the serial #) a few days ago and shot it for the first time last night.
I put the target at 15 yards and was keeping all of them in a 2" group and then put it 25yrds down and keep them in the 9/10 ring on a qualifying target. This is most accurate handgun I have ever shot, but then again I picked up my Glock 22 and at 25 yards put it in the 10 ring....so maybe I was having a good night and was lucky.

·
Registered
913 Posts
With the P22 5" on a good day, open sight #2, @ 25m, C50 target with 60 shots I get a score of 450/600, or so.

Now, after receiving and fitting the shorter bbl, plus another #2 front sight to go where the plugged hole is for use w/ the 3.4 bbl, the results improved a bit (but not much).

Upon reassembling the 5" bbl, I left the #2 front sight on the slide (as well as the #2 on the stabilizer up front).

I tried shooting with both of these #2 front sights in place, one behind/front of the other. Looks funny with two front sights, by the way.

The C50 was hit low, but all shots were in a tight cluster of 1-1/2"!

I tried again and the same happened.

The problem is that when I aim at the dead center of the bullseye the cluster occurs sometimes in the 7 ring below (6 o'clock), and sometimes lower in the 5 ring (6 o'clock).

I tried to 'raise' the front sight picture but I only got right and left dispersion.

When the front sight and the rear one are level the shots cluster! When they are not level the shots go all over the place.

Any ideas of improving accuracy with the P22 open sights?

(Note: When I use a Red Dot sight or a Beamshot Laser with the Tac Mount, all shots are in the 10 ring @ 25m, with either bbl, no sweat).

Crete

·
Registered
1 Posts
It will seem like the P22 is extremely inaccurate if you're not used to shooting pistols. The P22 itself is VERY accurate, even with the shorter barrel, the problem lies in the length between the rear and front sight, and any small, minute movement will cause your shots to be way off target, so if you are going for most accuracy, I would recommend getting the 5" barrel.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Enter,

Yes, the open sights on the P22 are too close together lengthwise. Even with the non-functional compensator-mounted front sight on the 5".

My point is that the space between the front sight and the rear notch, whan aligning the dots is ENORMOUS.

I have both bbls, you see and I wonder why -- keeping all variables equal -- w/both front sights in place (making the P22 look like a rhinoceros) I get superb groupings @ 07:00 o'clock, which I cannot duplicate either on target (aiming dead on) or by compensating by aiming @01:00 o'clock.

Again the POA and POI with either a Red Dot or a Beamshot laser remain unnervingly the same, shot after shot.

The issue may be with the finish on the P22 standard plastic sights, their dimensions, width (rear notch), etc.

I just cannot figure out how such an accurate pistol cannot have more decent open sights? By "decent" I mean "with less space right and left of the front front sight all the way where the rear vertical notches end". The GAPING space may be responsible for the issue.

But, I could be wrong.

Crete

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess Walther just wanted to pattern the sights after the P99 "combat" style sights, ie plenty of air left-right.
Probably not the best design decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts