Walther Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Redcat94,
I changed me mind about drilling the hole in the bottom of the stabilizer. I did take it to out to my shop (mancave) and studied it pretty extensively. It would have been easy enough to do the the drilling, but I wanted to use as small of a drill bit as I could to pass the allen wrench though, and I just was not sure that I could be sure to drill the hole in exactly the correct spot. So I decided to hold off on it.

Instead, I simply used a sealant called LEXEL to glue the sight down into the hole. LEXEL is very much like a clear silicone sealant. It's strong and it's flexible. I have been using that product to construct and repair my Purple Martin houses for years. If you go to the PM forums, people there say that they can get it at a big box home store, but I have never found it in Lowes or Home Depot. Locally, a hometown building material store sells it by the tube. Walmart sells something like it, called simply "CLEAR SEAL" in their paint section where you'd find Liquid Nail and other products. It is not a silicone seal though. Seems to be stronger and holds and weathers better in the elements.

So I know that the sight will stay in place, but I can remove it when I am ready. Remember that on my gun, the tiny barrel/stabilizer screw is not there. So I didn't have the problem that you had with the raised rear of the sight because of that screw.

So I did that. I then went to the range with my Thursday Afternoon Geezer shooting group.

P22 Optic Sight 3.jpg

In the next shot, you can see I put a little spacing between the slide and the stabilizer. But I meant to put about twice that much when I put it back together.

P22 Optic Sight 2.JPG

I was NOT happy with it. I loved the brightness of the front sight. It's one of the things that I like so much about my SW22 Victory. But all my shots were low, mostly just below the 3" splatter targets that I use. I figure that the sight must be taller than the tallest of the factory sights provided with the gun when purchased.

However, I really don't feel like I gave it a real chance for a fair evaluation. There were six of us out there today. We often trade guns and do comparitive shooting...but nothing competitive. Lots of conversations going on among the six of us.

I shot two clips and only hit the 3" targets three times. Then I hit the target with all ten of the third clip's shots. Then two more clips that I missed all shots..all just below..a couple just grazing the bottom of the target. I was alternating shooting the VICTORY and the P22, and was doing well with the VICTORY. So it's not like I was shooting the P22 first, then went to the VICTORY once I got halfway adjusted to the shooting techniques upon arriving. Except for the third of five clips, all shots went low.

I plan to go back to the range by myself tomorrow when I don't have six or seven other guys that I have to practice safe shooting with at the same time, with all the conversations and other comparisons that are going on at the same time. So maybe I can do better with it.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
You can either use the factory blades to get the right height for the distance you are shooting and then measure the height and duplicate it or you can change your point of aim. Shooting low, you have to lower the front blade since there is no adjustment on the rear for elevation. Stock sights a #2, #3 and #4. I use #2 and #3 and don't see much difference. Once upon a time I measured the difference in height between the three.

Photoshop....yepper, way too complicated for me too but way, way back there we were discussing the 5" pistol and I was suggesting some changes I'd like to see. I can draw this stuff but can't photoshop it. A Member at RFC could and soon began making the changes I was suggesting. He'd put up a picture and I'd post what needed to be done. Back then the pistol had one slot and not much would fit it as the slot was too close to the front of the trigger guard. How about three slots I suggested. Pronto...the picture was back with three slots. Move the section of the front of the slide out and fill in with a smooth section. Yepper, he posted that about two minutes later. Now we need some sight on it. Dove tail on the front and some target sights on the rear. Three minutes later.....it was back.

Germany looked at it, added the three slots and the rest of the effort went into the PPQ .22. But the funniest thing was around Christmas of that year a Member of RFC who was familiar with all of this went into Cabelas and picked up one of their sales brochures. There was our photoshopped pistol listed for sale. He promptly marched back to the gun counter, showed em the picture and demanded one. He had a lot of fun with them running around trying to find this imaginary pistol. I think they finally determined they had sold out.... I have ideas for the sights Crete wants but can only draw something. Photoshop is really something if you can do it. I can't. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Not a P22 - Even at Cabellas!

Give to your worse enemy.jpg I guess I could do some photoshopping for you, if that is the kind of thing you want.

Here's a little bit of playing with your picture.

No P22.jpg

How many changes do you see? LOL!
Here's another one that you only want to give to your worst enemy!

Give to your worse enemy.jpg

This was all in fun, of course, but realize everything that I did in these pictures involved moving an actual part of the gun to another place. or flipping portions horizontally or vertically. I can do some color correction too, but it's limited.

Now, the problem would be making me understand what you want.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did go back to the range again today and gave the little P22 the best that I could give it.

The results were the same. All shots were below the 3" target unless I aimed very high...almost to the top of the target.

So that sight is just too tall. And I saw no way to make it shorter.

As 1917 said, there is no way to elevate the back sight to compensate.

So I'll be taking it back off, and then figure out which of the factory sights are best for the 5" barrel.

..Unless you can figure out a way to make the optic sight work that I have not thought of.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
94, I wasn't trying to put you in a pinch there. I apologize if it came across that way.
Don't worry about it. No trouble at all :). I'm just happy you noticed the gap on my sight. I'm embarrassed I missed it myself.

What distance are you shooting at and what sight picture are you using ?

In my pic below you can see that the Hi-Viz is threaded all the way through. Once you know which sight height you need it should be possible to trim material from the bottom and still be able to install the screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,423 Posts

..Unless you can figure out a way to make the optic sight work that I have not thought of.
Well, of course there is if you have been monkeying around with this pistol as long as Crete and I have. :p You can fill the rear sight with JB Weld to any height you want and then cut any type and width of slot in it you like. JB Weld is even the same color. I've even add the stuff over a carefully placed and greased drill bit. Then after it hardened, a bit of filing to carefully shape it neatly, then pull the drill bit and voila.....a peep sight.

But when I try some kind of modification,, aesthetics usually are a part of it. I want to the mod to look somewhat neat, not a cobbled together something. Usually. So, one neat method of an adjustable rear sight blade is to get your hands on one of the steel adjustable rear sight apertures. These are simply thin steel blades, the kind that have a slot in them and two tiny screws. Fasten it neatly to the polymer blade and adjust elevation as necessary. Windage is still by the stock screw.

I shoot mostly at 25M thanks to Crete and haven't seen the need to change the stock pistol. I think I have a #2 front sight on the end of the stabilizer. I do make sure the sights are lined up at about 30' first, using a bench if necessary. At 25M I'm not to concerned with point of impact although I have it sighted properly. At that distance, off-hand, I'm concentrating on groups first, then worrying about where the group is. If I have shots hitting over an 18" area....why worry about anything regarding the sights. :) When I get em down in the 5" or 6" group size....then I want them hitting the X ring and vicinity.

Great work Mudbug. I have no idea how to do that. What I'm wanting is not so much moving parts around but creating new modifications. I want something like the stock stabilizer on the 5" pistol, remove the top slots, add material on to show a rail. The rail needs to extend out front of the end of the muzzle a bit so that the front blade is 220mm from the rear sight. Then I want the rear sight removed, the weaver/picatinny rail to extend to the rear of the slide where a target sight will sit. The rear blade will be at the absolute rear of the slide, it might even be a bit beyond rearward. Then the front sight placed on the one piece rail 220mm forward. Of course it all needs to look like it was factory designed. I don't want the rail to sit way up there. I want it to clear the slide and rear sight loop only. I'll see if I can find the drawing I did of something similar a few years ago. You would take the stock parts already in your pics above, add a black line for the rail, reattach those parts in the proper place. Then the rail needs to be neatly fitted to the stabilizer. Finally, design details, chamfer of the front of the part for a lightened, neat look.....see 5" PPQ for an example of this.

It won't involve lengthening the slide. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was able to attach the optical sight to the 5" Compensator and it held up real well.

The problem was that I was firing very low with it in place. It puts the sight way too high. And there is not a way to shave it down that I can see.

I thought a lot about 1917's suggestion about modifying the rear sight a bit to compensate. Just does not make sense to me start carving on the factory equipment when the difference between the factory and optical sight is not all that important anyway. So I'm back to the original site again.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The Walther P22 comes with three front sights: the Nº 2 is for 25m (82 feet), the Nº 3 is for 15-20m (~50-65 feet) and the Nº 4 is for 10m (~33 feet), dead-on using Standard Velocity ammo. High Velocity shoots a bit flatter (lower).

Most P22 users shoot at 10m or 20m maximum distances.

The P22 shines even without any sights on.

Try it. I have done it @ 25m (82 feet) with front & rear sights removed entirely, and every bullet hit on half-a-meter X half-a-meter reversed paper target (1.6 x 1.6 feet), that is just the beige of the paper without the black bull's eye.

To move the shots down you need a longer sight and to move the shots up you need a shorter one.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
How about a side by side comparison of a #2 or #3 stock sight sitting on a table with the aftermarket sight you guys are trying. Then all you have to do is figure out a way to raise it. Can it not be glued or screwed from the underside using the flat fill sight. Cut the bottom legs off on the new sight until they are just the right height, carefully screw the sight down on top of the flat one from the underside. Then install the new compound sight on the pistol in the conventional manner......You can also add JBWeld to the rear sight and then file or cut a new sight aperture at a taller height. JB is almost the exact same color as the sight. One trick is to let the JB set up just a bit and then shape it pretty close to the final shape with a pop sickle stick. Then give it a final sanding to the final shape with a stick emery fingernail file.

You could also fashion a shorter blade on the flat fill piece if you are shooting low. I don't ever remember having an issue here. 1917

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did go back to the range again today and gave the little P22 the best that I could give it.

The results were the same. All shots were below the 3" target unless I aimed very high...almost to the top of the target.

So that sight is just too tall. And I saw no way to make it shorter.

So I'll be taking it back off, and then figure out which of the factory sights are best for the 5" barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the HiViz fiber optic package as well but was disappointed to find that it only fit the gun (5”) if you removed the compensator. Here’s what I did: I had butchered up the old sight getting it out so I took one of the extras that came with the gun and drilled a hole horizontally through the white dot and slid a fiber optic tube through the hole. It picks up enough light at the indoor range and outside would be any better. I also found that by mounting a cheap laser or light on the picatinny keeps the compensator from moving.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts

Put one of these on it. You won't have any issues placing the dot on target. Holding it steady is another matter. 1917

21 - 34 of 34 Posts