Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a new guy with a P1 gun that shoots about 5" low at 7 yds.
I understand that there are rear sights replacement for the gun but I did not find who sells them or where to buy them.
Do any of you have a suggestion?
Thank you and much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
i do not think you have a sight issue. Being 5 inches low at 21 feet with a good pistol as you have would indicate a major manufacturing flaw in the gun. I do not think that is likely with a Walther pistol. Also I follow everything Walther, and I have not read any such reports on any of the firearms forums I review.

My guess is that you are not gripping the gun correctly or Kerri gets the trigger. Have you had an experienced shooter shoot it? If they shoot it OK then it is you.

Are you using factory ammo from a reliable manufacturer? There is some really bad cheap ammo out there.

Finally if the problem is gun related it ought to be sent to Walther, because I cannot imagine how sights could be off 5 inches at 21 feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
A gunsmith checked it. I am a competition shooter with 30 yrs behind a trigger. Ammo is Federal.
There is a post from 2011 where another P1 had the same problem and the guy bought a sight for it. Apparently Walter produced an "L" and an "R" sights to correct windage. Maybe there is a higher rear sight to correct low POI.
Just hoping. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
A gunsmith checked it. I am a competition shooter with 30 yrs behind a trigger. Ammo is Federal.
There is a post from 2011 where another P1 had the same problem and the guy bought a sight for it. Apparently Walter produced an "L" and an "R" sights to correct windage. Maybe there is a higher rear sight to correct low POI.
Just hoping. Thank you.
Well it is not you. So I suggest the gun go back to Walther. It just is too far off to make a jury rigged fix. I think something has to be wrong with the gun. Maybe they installed the wrong sight(s). Maybe the barrel does not seat correctly. With your experience I has to be the gun. They ought to fix it or replace it. Why not give them a call. Everything I have read about them indicates they make good on problems with their guns. Good luck in getting past the grief.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think I will try Walter but it would be helpful if you have the internet site and tell me. May save some aggravation finding it.
Regards.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here's a 2011 post on this subject from "breastroker"

You can get a front sight for $8 from RTG but you don't know the size he will send you. I have orderd a slide assemble and rear sights from them, didn't ask if they would send a specific sight number. Try calling him and see if you can get a certain number, I would like to know if he will do it.
Walther P1 Sights, Later Style Walther sights for P1 and P38, RTG Gun Parts

If you are shooting low, go one number higher. Shooting high go one number lower.
My P1 shoots about 1 to 2 inches low at 25 feet, has a #3 front site.
So I ordered a #4 from Numerich. Looks like 15/100 difference between each sight. All the other vendors play dumb, just list front sight.

Walther P1 Front Sight Numerich

Front Sight, #5, w/ White Dot, .210" High

Front Sight, #4, w/ White Dot, .225" High

Front Sight, #3, w/ White Dot, .240" High

Front Sight, #2, w/ White Dot, .255" High

Front Sight, #1, w/ White Dot, .270" High

I got my GunParts Walther P1 sight in 4 days.
Last edited by breastroker; 11-05-2011 at 12:59 AM

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might also try Dawson Precision!
Their fiber optic front sites make old eyes work less.
Also they have a simple mathematical formula for site replacements that
calculates how high or low you need to go to adjust POA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.
I am contacting Walter Arms and wait for their answer about how to fix the problem.
A gunsmith proposed me to file down the front sight but there are two problems:
First, the sight would be almost a memory so low it would be difficult to use.
Then, the gun would not be an authentic P1 anymore. For me this is not a "shooter" but a collectible.
Let's wait for Walter Arms' reply.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Beware of "gunsmiths". One old school "gunsmith" proposed to me to file the sights on my PPS down flat and JB Weld the set of Mepros on the slide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts