Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board but have liked the P38/P1 for years and have finally decided to get one but have a question. I found a P1 locally with a perfect finish and no import mark that I saw and I would like to know how reliable they are? Do they need repairs much? I'll probably only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year so I won't cause much wear. If something goes wrong I can't just send it to the factory so if I keep it clean will it last a long time without needing repairs? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
the P1/P38 will treat you right as long as you treat her right too......
I would stick with 115gr bullets and no hot stuff....
also just get a few recoils springs... which are not much and exchange them.... first ones before you ever take her shooting.... just to be on the safe side... then about avery 5000 rounds.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
There are three basic flavors of P1:

1. Non-reinforced slide and frame (up until early 1968)
  2. Reinforced slide with a non-reinforced frame (1968 to about 1975)
  3. Reinforced slide with a reinforced frame (1975 to the end of production)

As production progressed, the later pisols were made more durable by the introduction od these engineering changes. In the case of a pistol that will have 4 boxes of ammo through it a year, such as yours, I wouldn't be too concerned about breaking your pistol.
I do agree with uncut that it's a very good idea to replace the recoil springs before you shoot it. Other than that, have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts