Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone uses +P loads in a PPK. I realize the manual tells you not to, but I also don't think I've ever seen a firearms manual that endorses non-standard loads of any kind for their own legal safety.

I'm certainly fine with standard loads; I'm basically wondering if I should consider it an option or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I, personally, would not. The gun barks enough as is.

photo
Haha, yeah I'm with photohause on this one. It would be much harder to control the PPK with +P rounds. Since we're pretty much depending on shot placement it would be best to have rounds you can hit something with. If you want something with more power I'd move on up to a larger caliber. I'm comfortable with the .380 round personally.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Actually there are some handguns that are designed for +P ammunition (certain S&W revolvers come to mind), and their instruction manuals so state.

The Walther PPK was not designed for +P ammunition. +P did not even exist when the PPK was designed.

The reason most manufacturers' manuals discourage its non-standard ammuntion is not "for their own legal safety" but because it is abusive to the gun and/or often does not function correctly. The increased slide velocity of +P ammo batters the recoiling parts, reduces service life and causes the unexpected breakage of parts; it also upsets the internal balance and timing designed into the mechanism and produces malfunctions. --All of which lead to complaints from unhappy customers, which is bad for business.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
+P in a .32 or .380 would have very little benefit, as the boost in velocity would be minimal. Better to find a cartridge loading that feeds and expands reliably. Many folks have had good luck with the Winchester Silvertip in the .32/.380 calibers.
Update....I just picked up my new S&W/PPK and it DOESN'T say +P ammo shouldn't be used. However, +P+ ammo should NOT be used. Either way, I still wouldn't use anything but standard loadings in the Walther. Just not enough benefits to justify the increase in wear and tear

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
69 Posts
Plus P ammo in .380?

I think this is a moot question. I have never seen plus p ammo in .380.
I have never even seen it advertised anywhere, but I know if haven't
looked everywhere.

Then, too, it isn't a priority since I reload and can build hotter ammo
if I wish. I have already replaced the factory 20 pound recoil spring
with a Wolfe 24 pound spring, so the gun should handle a bit
stiffer loads when (and if) I am ready to try them.

However, back to the subject at hand: Does anyone know where to
get Plus P ammo for a .380?

Just Curious!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If I have this correctly, neither SAAMI nor the CPI have +P standards for .380 ammo.

If anyone came close to those specs it was the Santa Barbara loading.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts