Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the P99 rated for +P or +P+ ammunition? I couldn't find it in the online manual, or on the boards. I'm trying to decide whether I will use Remington 124gr. Gold Saber, or the same thing in +P. Of course, I intend to try many different kinds of ammo to find out what I like, but extra research and advice can't hurt. I'm only 20 and don't know anyone who has a P99, so you people are my primary info source.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No.

The Walther manual advises against using +P ammo !
No, you are reading this wrong. What the manual says is:

If you prepare your handloads be careful, and do not exceed recommended pressures in line with those generated by standard factory loads (not +P) as manufactured by Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, PMC or other reputable companies.

I read this to say if you load your own, DO NOT exceed pressures generated by standard loads - NO +P. It says nothing about not using FACTORY +P ammo.

I carry +P+ 115gr and +P 124gr ammo in my P99s and practice with it OCCASIONALLY. I don't feed my P99s a steady diet of it, because as with all pistols, it will eat it, but it will accelerate wear if fed a steady diet of it.

The P99 is proofed for +P and +P+ loads. They are safe to shoot in it. But if that's all you shoot, you will accelerate wear on your P99.

And in fact, in the current multilingual manual, "Ammunition" and "+P" is not mentioned at all.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, all. On advice from a friend, I think that I may use standard pressure 124gr. Golden Saber. He recommends it highly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
James,

I might be wrong but as far as I understand the manual tells that pressures may not exceed standard pressure and may therefore not be comparable with those generated by +P ammo (?) Anyhow I used to shoot my P99 with rather hot NATO ammo (115 gr FMJ) and I had to replace my locking block after about 2000 shots fired. It was not the 'notched type' locking block !

Maybe this is due to my (European) interpretation of a European manufacturer's manual, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Is there any 'official' reference stating that the P99 is +P rated ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
178 Posts
For a while I was using Geco 124gr NATO ammo as my range ammo. Shot about a case and a half through the gun with no ill effects. My defense load is Georgia Arms 124gr +P gold dots. These too work great.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've gone through about 500 rnds of Speer Gold Dot +P stuff with my P99. I've got >2000 rnds thru mine, and I'm changing the guide rod assembly since the rod is a bit chewed up.
The other rnds in that 2000+ count are std 124gr & 115gr.
This includes Std Geco (used a lot of this);
message from Dynamit Nobel - RWS Inc.....

"the max pressure Geco 9mm is determined by the CIP-Regulations: 2.350 bar.

Nr. 212 5870, Geco FMJ, 124 gr., Vo of 360m/s (1.181fps) from 125mm test barrel, energey Eo 518 Joule:
is loaded to 2.100 up to 2.200 bar; piezo-quartz measurement, position of measurement hole: 12mm from head of case (internal case pressure measurement, barrel length 125mm). "

So, according to the manufacturer, this particular
Geco 9mm cartridge is loaded within SAAMI std pressure
limits (max 35,000psi).
My conversions:
2100 bar = 30,458 psi
2200 bar = 31,908 psi
2350 bar = 34,084 psi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts