Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 2 Walthers and the only information I have about each of them is their serial numbers.

The first is the classic PPK in 7.65mm. It was manufactured by Manuhrin pre 1968 Gun Control Act, but that is about all I know about it.

The other is a PPK-S in .380 cal. This is the Premier Golden Eagle Model and is one of 400. I believe it was manufactured by Interarms but that is mostly a guess on my part.

My first question is whether or not either gun can handle +P ammo? A friend bought me some for each gun but I have been hesitant to try it.

Next, I would like any information I can get about either or both guns, such as when and where they were manufactured. As I said, all I have to work with is their serial numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

·
Super Moderator
14,796 Posts
Go to Google and type in 'Walther PPK owners manual'. Hey, its a start. And here's what is included in the current manual on +p ammo:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated
with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your
PPX pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the
need for more frequent service.

Pretty much their standard statement, concerning higher pressure ammo.

You can also use Google again and search for this 'Walther PPK history'.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Be aware that there is no SAAMI standard for 380ACP+P or 32ACP +P. Ammunition in these calibers marked +P is loaded to pressures above SAAMI standards. Personally, I don't use +P in my Walther PP series pistols.

SAAMI

·
Banned
235 Posts
You will run out of money buying and shooting plus p ....before you wear out your gun with plus p ammunition.

Just avoid plus P plus.

The whole will the gun .... last forever concept is illogical. If you have enough money for plus p ammunition in high amounts...you can afford repair or replacement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are my first response! Thanks!

As for the manuals, I don't think there is one for my Manuhrin, at least not anything current enough to include +P ammo.

I wonder if the ammo company would have anything???

BTW-Love your Username! That's how I often refer to myself!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Manurhin and Walther pistols are VERY ;) similar so whatever you can find in a user's manual for a W. German PP pistol should be fine for your Manurhin.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
There is no such rating as +P for either .380 ACP or .32 ACP. What you're getting with "+P" is, quite simply, nonstandard, non-SAAMI compliant, overpressure ammunition.

That alone should tell you not to use anything advertised as "+P" in either caliber.

·
Banned
235 Posts
There is no such rating as +P for either .380 ACP or .32 ACP. What you're getting with "+P" is, quite simply, nonstandard, non-SAAMI compliant, overpressure ammunition.

That alone should tell you not to use anything advertised as "+P" in either caliber.
I have always seen with chronographs that plus p runs closer to advertised fps than regular ammunition. No ammo manufacturer would put out a dangerous over pressure blow up your gun load.....not on purpose. Although I'm not to sure that Buffalo Bore ammo isn't a over pressure...blow up your gun ammo....that and Underwood manufacturered ammunition.

This has just been my experience along with my friends who also Chrono their rounds.

I shoot old self defense plus p 124 grain hst 9mm when I feel they have been chambered too many times or are aged to tarnished condition.
Otherwise I stuff my guns with cheap blazer...s&b...fiochhi...whatever

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
I have always seen with chronographs that plus p runs closer to advertised fps than regular ammunition.
In which case, it isn't so much +P as it is false advertising.

Either way, stay away from it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
One of the firearms Buffalo Bore lists on their website's .380 ACP +P product page is a Walther PPK, and while it doesn't specify the manufacturer it really shouldn't matter as pretty much all PPK(/S) models are fairly uniform in terms of durability. (I'm sure someone will want to argue with me on that, but I doubt they'll be able to make a convincing argument and will likely just nitpick minor details like certain models using MiM parts such as the trigger or hammer which really shouldn't make much of a difference, especially in concerns towards safety.)

So at the very least, I'd say it's safe to assume that you'd be okay shooting Buffalo Bore's .380 ACP +P ammo out of your PPK. (If not, then you may be in a position to sue Buffalo Bore for any damages/injuries sustained in the process.)

That being said, I've seen a few ammo tests on YouTube of their .380 +P in Ballistics Gel, and the results were honestly underwhelming seeing as they only managed to penetrate 11.5" on average whereas other Standard Pressure .380 loads such as Hornady Custom, American Gunner XTP, and Precision One XTP all managed 12" or more on average, (seems like the extra power causes their ammo to dump all of its energy too quickly) so I'd just stick with Standard Pressure ammo.

Reactions: Bountyhunter

·
Registered
14 Posts
I second what most folks say here about +P ammo, it's non standard and probably too hot for these guns.

I've come across similar discussions in the Luger Forum; I own and shoot a 1916 P08 DWM Luger in 9mm and a 1939 P08 Mauser Luger in 9mm. The common wisdom is that the guns weren't designed for +P and it could cause damage to them. The same probably applies to Walthers, especially the older versions.

From what I've read all these guns were originally designed to take European military ammo, which is slightly hotter than US, but is standardised as opposed to +P.

For my Walthers -PPK 9mm short, PPK 7,65mm & PP 7,65mm- I use Czech made Sellier & Bellot FMJ 73 grain in 7,65mm & 92grain in 9mm short.
For the Lugers I use the Sellier & Bellot FMJ 124 & 115 grain in 9mm P.

In over a thousand rounds with this combination, I've had no misfires, jams or other issues.

Best,
Mike

·
Banned
235 Posts
https://gundigest.com/handguns/concealed-carry/understanding-plus-p-ammunition

Concealed Carry: What About +P Ammo? | The Daily Caller

You can find articles both saying it is ok.....and saying it is a bad idea....

All I can say is I've done it for years with guns I still have and use.

A 10 percent overload of sam pressure isn't a big enough deal to not try a gun with them IMO
1000 to 5000 rounds not sure I'd do that but 50 to 500 I personally would have no issue.

The bs that is perpetuated on the internet by people who NEVER have fired plus p rounds ( per their own cautions against it ) but parrot the internet line that it will destroy your gun is amazing .

Admittedly gun manufacturers "warn" against it the same way people are warned not to take three asprin as oppsed to 2....or to take 3 tablespoons of cough syrup oposed to 1.

I guess to each their own path.

Just remember...
There is real life and then the internet....... Bonjour

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Just to clarify and expand upon my previous admonition, the following cartridges have SAAMI ratings for +P loads:

• 9mm Luger
  • .38 Special
  • .45 ACP
  • .38 ACP (+P version officially designated as .38 Super +P)
  • .257 Roberts (rifle round)
With the exception of .38 Super +P, all SAAMI +P loads range between 7.5% and 10% above standard loads. The exception, .38 Super +P, is 38% greater than .38 ACP (not be be confused with .380 ACP, which is a whole different animal).

Anyone selling you a "+P" load in any other cartridge is either engaging in false advertising (and overcharging you to boot for something that technically doesn't exist), or they're telling you that they are selling ammunition that is over any SAAMI specification. In the case of the latter, you have no way of knowing how much over that may be, because there is no standard.

If you're going to use +P it would behoove you to stick with those cartridges for which a +P SAAMI designation exists, and then only if the manufacturer of your weapon condones +P in their product. For instance, the PPQ and P99 in 9mm are +P certified; the Walther PP-series are not, even if +P standards did exist in either .32 ACP or .380 ACP . . . which they don't.

And +P+ loads? Even worse. There are no SAAMI "+P+" certifications in any caliber, pistol or rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts