Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this topic discussed many times on this forum and many times I have seen mis-information or not a complete quotation on what Walther America recommends relating to safe ammunition.

First, much of what a firearms Manufacturer recommends, when speaking about their products, tends to over emphasize SAFETY for obvious legal reasons. So when Walther speaks about high power ammo, they are not necessarily saying their weapons can not handle the higher chamber pressures, but are carefull to retain a certain "safety margin" in their recommendations.

What does this mean in the practical world -- When a firearm[ operating at chamber pressures that includes some built-in safety margins] encounters a structural failure ---- it might be better able to limit the severity of the damage to the gun and shooter.

At the opposite end, a pistol operating near its structural limits concerning these higher chamber pressures -- May well suffer a catastrophic failure should it encounter the same structural failure, metal fatigue or defective ammo.

Safety margins:A Walther shooting Ammo being loaded to "standard factory" pressures for that caliber has some wiggle room concerning mistakes that might be made in the construction of that bullet. A bullet being "seated" too low into the cartridge can cause a dangerous pressure overload condition at ignition that has the potential to blow the pistol apart.But at "Standard pressures" the pistol is capable of handling much more and is better able to absorb the increase pressure caused by a small bullet seating mistake. But if you are already operating at the maximum allowable chamber pressure, the smallest error in *seating* the bullet can have dangerous results possibly leading to severe bodily injury.

This is one reason [ bullet seating ] that I always tell students to rotate their ammo, if they load and unload their weapon for cleaning Etc. Letting the Pistol's slide slam home on a cartridge to load it- has the "potential" of pushing the bullet just a slight amount deeper into the casing. If you use the same bullet to reload for several cycles -- You can see where the danger increases of pushing the bullet too deep into its casing. 3 strikes and its out -- is my advice -- any bullet loaded over 3 times in the above manner should be discarded.

Back to what Walther recommends [ keeping these safety features above in mind ]

"If you prepare your own handloads be very careful, and do not EXCEED RECOMMENDED PRESURES IN LINE WITH THOSE GENERATED BY STANDARD FACTORY LOADS ( NOT +P ) as manufactured by Remington, Winchester, etc, etc, Taken from my Walther manual.

I don't think Walther is worried about RE_LOADING brass -- as the warning doesn't speak to reloading in this section ....... but Walther [ later ] does warn against using ANY reloaded AMMO or handloads. Again just a legal caution to cover their butts should someone mess up at the reloading table.

Bottom Line: Can your Walther "Handle" +P ammo......In my opinion Yes -- but not a steady diet of this stuff -- for the reasons I have out-lined above. Would I shoot +P+ ammo from my Walther -- My opinion -- Absolutely NOT

Apparently Walther feels using +P ammo "removes" much of the safety margins built into "standard pressure" ammo when used in their P-99. Show me where Walther says specifically its OK to use +P ammo in the pistols ----- and I will change my opinion on the matter. S&W states +P ammo is OK with all their modern revolvers....... they make that very clear and so could Walther!

JF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have rescently started reloading though, pretty much for rifle. Regular factory ammo dosen't group as tight as I'd like, and I'm not paying $1+/round for match ammo. As a result I've been looking alot at load preasures versus performance. Basically such a short barrel is insufficient. I could definatley see using +P and +P+ for a carbine, but for a handgun, the benefits seem to be marginal. Granted, you'll never have to load pistol cartridges for accuracy, one thing that didn't suprise me too much is how little velocity was effected by powder charge. On the other hand, reliability is dramatically effected by load. A light load may only short stroke the handgun, but a hot load can slam the slide back hard. Both can produce feeding issues. Not only that but slamming the slide can cause accelerated wear and parts breakage. Finally a hot load does accelerate barrel wear and errosion. Granted, that's not as large of a concern with handguns with straight case loads as with a taper cased riffle cartridge.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Okay here is the word from Walther in Germany. I emailed them about using +P ammo and here is what they said...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dear Ken,

Walther does not recommend the use of +P loads in the P99.

Kind regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Product Manager

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fw: English feedback from the Internet! (02-Jun-2006 8:26)
To:      [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts