Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The official word on the +p is yes... last Walther rep said yes too...
that said many don't use it as range ammo but reserve the +P for carry ....I never shot this ammo but it looks to be a good deal to me......
(take it with a grain of Salt... I am no ammo expert) :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uncut,
Great, I was planning to use this as self defense when I carry and for home defense. Of course this was only after making sure that my P99 had absolutly no feeding or firing issues.
Many thanks for the input

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why frangible ammo? Personal preference or just a good buy?
New Jersey doesn't allow hollowpoint bullets for civilians. Some shooters think FMJ frangible are more reliable or they want to use a pistol that won't reliability feed non-FMJ rounds. Perhaps he/she just wants a good price?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 basic reasons:
-for self defense I prefer this and have heard good things regarding this. I believe it is also legal in NY.
-Price is very good.

If you have a contrary opinion or info please do opine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Generally the frangible ammo is looked at a bit skeptically. I don't know the ballistic properties of that particular loading so what follows is general information. If you consider the studies which have been done in handgun class wounding, there are two things that will stop an assailant. First, a hit to the CNS, second a loss of blood.

The hit to the CNS requires depth of penetration which is why the FBI standard is 12-18" of penetration in ballistic gelatin. I have seen the equivalence for getting through the skin listed as 4" of ballistic gelatin. Frangible ammunition will not do this which is why you won't see it carried by law enforcement.

If you're trying for the blood loss route you still are better off going deep. In some cases such as the FBI Miami shootout, the bullets didn't penetrate quite deep enough to puncture the heart which resulted in the criminal staying in the fight far longer than they would have with another 1/2" of penetration. This is not what frangible ammunition does, it breaks up shortly after hitting the body which inhibits its penetration.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
New Jersey doesn't allow hollowpoint bullets for civilians. Some shooters think FMJ frangible are more reliable or they want to use a pistol that won't reliability feed non-FMJ rounds. Perhaps he/she just wants a good price?
Man, that sucks. If I lived in state where I could not have JHP, I'd have to own 45s in order to be satisfied with FMJ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is legal to have HP ammo in NJ. I have some in my gun right now. You just can't carry it (unless you're hunting, coming from the range), not that many get carry licenses here anyway:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts