1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alot of Euro Police do...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yea though in a few areas they lost to the H$K P2000 even in the home state of Walther (Baden Wuerttemberg).... well H$K isn't too far from Walther's location in Ulm if I am correct.....

but the LEO version most likely is a P99DAO with nightsights

·
Registered
83 Posts
i believe a large canadian city (toronto?) issues P99's to their police officers, but i haven't heard any confirmed use in the states.

frye

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I was in Portugal last year I noticed that all of the LE officers were carrying a P99.

According to Walther's prospect the Polish LE Dept. also got the P99 (I will have to check it out whenever I get over there) and actually rumours are going that the Dutch Police Dept. - which is looking to replace their old Walther P5's (which they do not like at all and they want to get rid of them, but that's another story) - might take a look at the P99, although some Dutch special forces already received the Glock (19 ?) as their official pistol. To be continued ....

ihduce : you stated that "a lot of Euro Police has the P99".

My guess as a European is that up till now only one German federal state (Nordrhein-Westfalen) and Portugal use the P99, with Poland and the UK as possible users. I have no idea regarding Scandinavian countries, and Central Europe but I believe Glock got these contracts. Maybe some input from local forum members ?

Here in Belgium I never encountered a Police Officer with a Walther P99. The majority is switching from the old FN/Browning HP35 to Glock 19 with a small minority going for the FNP-9 (from FN). Some years ago I talked to someone (reliable source) who told me the non-uniformed Police officers of Hasselt city carried the Walther P5 Compact.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I heard the QA trigger system was designed as a LE option.

I also heard that the Wilmington, DE police issue them or at least provide them as an option.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Walther P99 selected for German Police force
Shooting Industry, July, 2005

Carl Walther GmBH of Germany has secured a contract to supply P99 DAO pistols to the Nordrhein-Westfalen German Police force. The contract for 41,000 pistols, valued at $16 million, represents the largest order to date for Walther's P99 DAO 9mm.

Walther competed for the contract with other leading European manufacturers including Sigarms and Heckler & Koch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heh, I used to live in Nordrhein Westfalen... Though it makes me wonder... why do police departments issue compact pistols as duty weapons? Don't get me wrong I love my P99 (especially for CCW) but if you're going to be open carrying on a utility belt why not get a full size pistol (in a bigger caliber at that)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts