Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a P-99as in .40sw.(traded in a Ruger P-95dc.9mm)have been to the range and put 350 rnds of American Eagle 180g fmj through it.no problems(major) or complaints,i really enjoy it and will always own a Wather.
two minor problems i had are,1.with the mag. loaded with 10 full rounds when inserted into an locked back slide or closed slide with no round in the chamber,its virtually impossible to remove the mag.i have to chamber a rnd. then remove the mag.(easily)then eject the cartridge.so now i carry only 9 rnds in the mags.9+1 instead of 10+ 1.i can live with this not a problem.is this problem due to a new pistol that needs to be broken in,or something else?
2.when the slide is locked open after the final casing is ejected,then a new mag.inserted i released the slide fwrd to chamber a rnd.and the slide didnt go fwrd fully.it stopped about 3/8'' short .about as much as it takes to ''short rack'' the slide.this happened 3 times early into my shooting,but as the day went on it dissapered(for good i hope).any ideas on this?also 1 or 2 times with slide locked back as i inserted a mag into the pistol the slide closed without me releasing the slide stop.???(i dont think my thumb was anywhere near the release)  i understand everything new has a break in period and i only put 350 rnds. through it and hopefully thats all it is.nothing major,but was wondering has anyone had these problems?any help apreciated.

mike

p.s.
the trigger and recoil due take some getting use to and im getting there. have been experimenting between the large and med. backstraps.think ill go with med.also my trigger finger is getting cut up on the inside.could be my grip, adjusted it and see how things go next time at the range.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sounds like a very stiff mag spring. If you push up on the full mag as you push the release lever, it should come down easy. That's just a short term fix though. If the springs don't loosen up, I'd think about replacing them with wolff springs. My mag release is stiffer with a full magazine in, but one finger still does the job. My slide has never failed to go into battery either.

Regarding the unexpected slide release upon inserting a magazine, several people have mentioned this. Apparently there are two different types of slide release springs too. If you call Walther, I'm sure they will send the newer one to you.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnz for the reply,
how difficult is it to replace the mag spring.also seems the prob. w/ the slide was the the take down release wasnt fully engaged after cleaning:p,got that off this forum,its very informative.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mag spring has to be the easiest one to change. There's a hole in the magazine floorplate. Pushing up in there with a punch will allow the floorplate will slide off the magazine. Out will drop (or fly) the bottom spring plate, the spring, and the follower. Out with the old, in with the new...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts