Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Walther P88 pistol and it finally arrived, Took five days by priorty mail dealer to dealer. Came with cleaning rod, box, papers, 5 15 round mags, four factory and one unmarked. 95% blue

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Cool! Let us know how it shoots and if you can post some pictures.

I'm curious as to why it took five days, I think by law, handguns have to be shipped overnight. Unless you're in another country.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Firearms between countries must go through Customs for both nations and if it is coming into this country, it must go through BATFE for type approval and through the Department of State to ensure that it is not on the resitricted Arms Control lists [also for export]. Only a licensed import/export dealer can take care of these transfers

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Dealer to Dealer does not have to go through overnight shipment.....
my local dealer ships his stuff through USPS..... only can do that if you got a FFL (or C&R but not sure on that one)

When I bought my P5 I had the same happen to me.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uncut is correct, if it is going dealer to dealer by Priority mail, four to five days is normal, so much for priority......................

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncut is correct, if it is going dealer to dealer by Priority mail, four to five days is normal, so much for priority......................

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm sure you're all right. A friend of mine use to own a gun store, until his untimely death, he told me that all handguns he ships had to go overnight. Long guns were a different story. It may have been the policy of UPS, though, because he mentioned something about handguns getting stolen more often.

·
Patron
212 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (artysgt @ Nov. 11 2006,12:10)]I just bought a Walther P88 pistol and it finally arrived, Took five days by priorty mail dealer to dealer. Came with cleaning rod, box, papers, 5 15 round mags, four factory and one unmarked. 95% blue
Congrats!

PICS??  

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Nov. 12 2006,6:23)]I'm sure you're all right.  A friend of mine use to own a gun store, until his untimely death, he told me that all handguns he ships had to go overnight.  Long guns were a different story.  It may have been the policy of UPS, though, because he mentioned something about handguns getting stolen more often.
I have researched this extensively. BATF requires an ffl form accompany the pistol, but does not require overnight. BATF consideres the frame as the firearm. UPS requires pistols be shipped overnight. However, non-functioning gun parts can go ground. I ship the slide and barrel ground for $9. Then I ship the frame and ffl paper ground for $9. Ups is happy and the BATF is happy. I am happy because I only have to pay $18 instead of the $70 overnight charge. BTW, I am not an ffl, but I only ship to ffls. FFL holders can ship handguns USPS ground for about $8. Only UPS and FED EX require overnight shipping of handguns, but will ship them ground in seperate packages as parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts