Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change the rec springs on my P-5. Any info on how to do it is appreciated. Can't get the darn things out of the rails!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just changed mine on my P5C to 8# wolfs. You have to mildly compress the spring from the rear of the slide, turn the spring 90 degrees and pull it out through the side hole on the slide. You would think it pulls out from the front but it must pull from the back. You put the new ones in the same way from the back forward. Make sure to set the retainers in and feed the spring over them because you can't get the retainers in from the front once the springs are in. The spring and retainer are a tight fit and if you rotate the spring as you feed it it has a better chance of "screwing" on to the retainer. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, Ocseke. I followed your instructions and got the first part right. Getting it out.

However, how in heaven's name did you manage to "screw" the retainers in? Heat, oil, hydraulic jackhammer? Talk about a tight fit! No kidding, can't put the thing back on.

Any particular way of doing it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try just rotating the spring onto the retainer without actually installing them into the slide to get the feel of it, rotate on and reverse rotation direction to get off. I kept fiddling with it 'till it finally worked. Emery cloth and lube were my other thoughts but it didn't have to come to that. Be patient !!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news! Brought out the ol' reliable hydraulic jackhammer and they're in. Unfortunately, I now need a new frame.

Did something different, ocseke. Instead of screwing them in the retainer (it was going the other way around), I first inserted the retainer, grabbed it tightly, pushed and at times forced the spring in. Did it by pushing the spring from the back, slowly but surely while keeping the retainer secure. Took fifteen minutes. Spring basically inserted itself. A little Rem oil helps.

Couldn't screw them in. My fingers would not help. But you sure gave me the idea on how to do it. And for that I'm grateful. Now the only thing I need is a new frame!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts