Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the Forum recently and the PPK gang was very helpful with a recent acquisition I had made, so I thought I'd seek some advice from the P-38 crowd.

Just got my hands on a rare P-38K. Well, I guess they're all pretty rare with only 2,600 made, but this one has the added distinction of being chambered in 7.65 Parabellum (.30 Luger to us Americans) for the Italian market. I field stripped it as I do with any gun I acquire and lo and behold, one of the recoil springs was missing, as was the locking block. The piece is in otherwise very good condition so I ordered parts from Numrich and installed them carefully consulting my reference books as well as Youtube videos. The gun was easy to take down and put back together...until this afternoon. The pictures show the frame assembly and the slide/barrel assembly and then my attempt to reassemble the gun. The slide is shown as far back as it will go. Something is impeding the rearward movement of the slide. The occurs with or without the barrel in the slide.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure what. I've disassembled and reassembled scores of guns over the last five plus decades, so I'm not a newbie as far as that goes, but I'm not a Walther expert either. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks folks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remove it (it was the left hand side spring and rod that were missing) and the pistol will then go back together with one spring, what will that tell me? The rails look fine to me. I only ask because removing and reinstalling the new springs and guide rods was one of those simple to understand but a pain in the butt, three-handed jobs we all hate.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try removing the recoil spring and guide rod that you had out.
I did remove the spring and guide rod and still no dice. Since I was able to reassemble the pistol before, I have to assume I'm doing something wrong. But I can't understand what is obstructing the rearward movement of the slide.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put the recoil springs back in and found out what was obstructing the rearward movement of the slide, at least partially. The slide release was protruding slightly from the frame. Simply pushed it back in and the slide went back on freely...except for about the last quarter of an inch of rearward movement. The locking block is in the correct position and the hammer is down. Is there something special about the P 38-K that I'm missing? Except for the de-cocking lever vs. the safety/de-cocker on standard P 38's I thought it works exactly the same. What am I doing wrong?

Registered
Probably redundant but I'm assuming you pushed the ejector down? they like to pop up every now and then. I know you have to hold the slide-stop to pull it all the way back and lock it, then rotate your lever back around and tap the slide-stop again and you're good to go.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably redundant but I'm assuming you pushed the ejector down? they like to pop up every now and then. I know you have to hold the slide-stop to pull it all the way back and lock it, then rotate your lever back around and tap the slide-stop again and you're good to go.
[/
Yes, the ejector is down and the slide release is properly seated.

This is as far as the slide will retract. Still don't understand what could be in the way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this P38-K dry? It might just need some oil to slip over whatever it's catching on.
No, I lubed the pistol before trying to reassemble it. It turned out that the locking block needed some minor fitting, even though it was a Walther factory-made piece and appeared to seat fine. The smith at Texas Gun Experience was able to fix it in less than 15 minutes. Good bunch of folks.

Next, it goes to the range.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Registered
Greetings. You indeed acquired a rare P38-K. I used to own one in 7.65mm Parabellum. When I initially field stripped it I saw that it only had one recoil spring/guide. I looked at Kersten's "Walther - A German Legend" hoping to find an explanation. Kersten mentioned that the 7.65mm P caliber sometimes was not sufficient to ensure proper functioning in the P38-K. He added that removal of one recoil spring helped with the functioning and that later calibrated recoil spring pairs were developed for this caliber. Seeing this was quite a relief! Hope this helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greetings. You indeed acquired a rare P38-K. I used to own one in 7.65mm Parabellum. When I initially field stripped it I saw that it only had one recoil spring/guide. I looked at Kersten's "Walther - A German Legend" hoping to find an explanation. Kersten mentioned that the 7.65mm P caliber sometimes was not sufficient to ensure proper functioning in the P38-K. He added that removal of one recoil spring helped with the functioning and that later calibrated recoil spring pairs were developed for this caliber. Seeing this was quite a relief! Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts