Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem disassembling my P-38. This Sunday, a friend is going to teach me to ceracoat, and to this end, i've chosen my aluminum-frame P-38. I've disassembled it as far as i could with some help from The Peruano's slide disassembly video and Tanfoglio's pictures, but i can't get the locking pin out of the barrel-assembly, and there doesn't seem to be any info on this on the whole internet. How do i get this thing out of there? Would it be alright to leave it in there throughout the sand-blasting and painting?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know how to take the Pin out, but I am thinking of getting one of my 'flood survivor' P.38's coated. So please let us know how it turns out. Are you taking apart the hammer group? There is also a Plunger & Spring that slides against the Takedown Lever, and it is often peened in place so it doesn't pop out when the Lever is removed. I've gotten mine out with a fine rat-tailed file, cleaned the spring (often the first time it has been removed & cleaned since the war) and then put it all back in and peened the hole. I think the Pin to the Locking Block may also be peened in, via the hole in the underside.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
You can just knock it out with a punch and a mallet, and to replace, re-stake it. But you should not be surprised if, after it's Cerokoted, you have to ream out the hole to get it back in.

If you leave the pin in, you'll still have to remove the grit and paint to get it to work right afterward.

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't consider taking the hammer apart, but since you mentioned it, i took out the little lever and spring. The other pins, i figure, should stay put. I also overlooked that plunger and spring, or "rest pin" and "rest pin spring", as my booklet calls them, but i guess they'll be fine if i go light on them and mind my angles.

I'm not sure what staking is, but i based on your replies, i imagine having to form a bump underneath the pin. I might have to leave the locking pin where it is, and just be really careful to not get too much aluminum oxide in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.