Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Walther P-38 war trophy has been in the family since 1945. My father was detailed to disarm civilians in Reutte Ausria in May 1945. There an old woman was strolling up a street with this P-38 and an Artillery 1917 Luger. Dad confiscated both and they are in my possession along with the original U.S. Army capture or "bring back" documents.

The P-38 is a Mauser manufactured "bYf44", Eagle over F, Serial Number: "4993", all matching. The bore is perfect, the pistol has not been fired much.
Per Jan Still's Axis Pistols, only 1,500 were manufactured. There are four magazines, one of which is a Eagle/135 (Mauser).

This was shared in this forum in 2015. Since Photobucket is closed, the 2015 images are kaput. Hence the rehash.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the first centerfire handgun I ever fired was a war trophy P-38 my cousin got in some sort of trade. I think we had one box of Winchester ball ammo and we shot it all up pretty quick. He sold or traded it shortly after as he thought the ammo cost was prohibitive.

My father was in France in WWII and he always told be he avoided getting a P-38 because of a reputation for accidental discharge they had with GI's.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Your Eagle F Mauser was issued to a Police agency originally. They are a rare find, only 1500 were made. They sell for as much as $3,000.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have 3 original bring back Certificates for the Luger 1917 and the P-38. Why 3? Does the following premise make sense: The terms changed.

The two original June 25, 1945 Certificates (#1 & #2) forbid concealed firearms. See Section 2. The single original June 27, 1945 Certificate does not. My guess there was a #4 which was turned over to the Army. He sailed home on the Queen Elizabeth in mid-July 1945. And Dad kept the older copies for prosperity.

See image.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts