Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Overpriced for condition P38s drove me to my P5 addiction.

Have not looked back once.

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those on GB are more reasonable. I'm not sure what they are thinking at this Cabela's.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I've been watching, and passing on the current P38 market.

I'm not one to balk at expensive Classic German handguns too, I've added two HK P7 M13s and a P5 Lang this year.

Reactions: P88

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cause I wanted it, that's why it went overboard on pricing. Mag matched, holster is not too bad actually. But still, way expensive.

They had a P08 a few weeks back that was a WW1 piece. It as missing a hold-open latch and the small locking bolt spring that keeps tension on the barrel locking bolt catch. Surface issues (active rust on the base!) and it was shaking out the lever as I held it, and yet someone put over 800 on it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Because it's one of the early ones made in December of 1940? With the early polished finish?

Yes, I noticed that. The slide finish shows the war was going very well for Germany at production time.

Look at the link showing the '43 P38, nasty metal work.

Some of the late production Radons look like they were produced by Fred Flintstone.

Reactions: Kar98

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
A 45ACP Luger!!!

I want it SO bad!!!

I'll settle for an artillery or Swiss Trial 9mm Luger, I actually got blocked out of a Swiss Trial Luger on Hermann Historica, sooooooo close.

I kind of like the "round count" window Lugers too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You might have to settle for one of the modern repros, because of the three made in 1907, one got tested to destruction, one is in private hands and last sold for half a million, and the one shown, which is in the Norton museum in Shreveport.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
The market is the market. Buyers and sellers align on price. I’ve seen pistols at prices I would pay and pistols I wouldn’t. So, I don’t trouble myself with a price tag someone else has. If there is a buyer willing to pay that, good. If not it will remain in inventory.

Blued polish P38s are nice. The further you get on in the war, the lower the quality and finish got. I have a 0 series, 3rd version pistol that is super nice. The AC series were right after and they are nice Walther produced pistols.

It all depends. I paid 1000 for a GI 1911 last month from CMP that was a rebuild mixmaster. Worth every penny to me. Value of a collectible is a funny thing; if somebody wants it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
Its an AC40 a lot of these were lost in Russia the weren't too many brought back to the states. That's what is special about it

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Although priced a bit on the high side, it is an AC40, high polished blued P.38. All small parts are stamped and of course all major parts are matching as they should.

I would estimate a $2400 to $2600 price rather than what they have marked, but everything there and Gander Mountain is overpriced to begin with. Only a fool would part with their money at either establishment.

They probably gave the poor schmuck who traded it at best, $800.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I got lucky with my first P5 purchase from Cabala's Ft Worth last July (one year ago today in fact). An appears NIB with all items from Ulm included example. Just entered the 4 figure price range out the door. Sub 1" test target was a pleasant surprise.

The Cabala's Gun Library at the time showed another location having "well worn (inside and out)" BMI lineout (police trade), priced at $1400.00

This is the gun that started my P5 addiction.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts