Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In Orange County there is a growing large segment of gun owners and CCW holders that are women. A 22 semi automatic appeals to many of them beacuse of the size, recoil and less than defeaning sound when firing. A typical compact 22 offers a slide that is also manageable. So it is not unusual that the smaller handgun finds favor as it is easily concealable also. I am not addressing this ongoing dispute about Failure to Fire of rimfire semiautomatics. The alternative is buying an 8 round 22 revolver and simply pull the trigger again if there is a misfire. But even that is not ideal. So in order to bring my wife into self defense, I purchased a Walther P22 CA in January 2021 based on all the above. The handgun is VERY different than the model sold outside of CA in two respects. First, the recoil spring in CA is the old version while everywhere else it is a captive spring. Perhaps that makes a difference in cycling ammo? (Note: you cannot modify the barrel for a suppressor-illegal here anyway). Also there is no key "lock"on the CA version of the gun, rather a bike type lock in the box. Otherwise, it is 10 rounds plus one. At Turner's Outdoor they provided me with 2 boxes of Aguila INTERCEPTOR ammo which is high velocity 40 grain round nose. I already had already obtained Federal 40 grain 1230 velocity 22LR at Big 5 (waited in line 2 hours) and that is what I fired at On Target for the CCW amendment. 40 rounds, center mass, no misfires and I cleaned the gun thoroughly. I would offer that the YouTube community has already shown that Aguila Interceptor HV rounds do NOT cause FTF. Numerous well done videos confirm that in this handgun. So for reliability I think the Walther WITH the HV rounds works for my wife. She can train on the Federal, defend with the Aguila. Just no CCI Mini Mag/Stinger available in the state which is the preferred round for self defense. Cleaning and oiling a 22 is required to keep malfunctions down. My 9mm Shield is doesn't care what ammo is used. Rimfire is just picky.

Premium Member
I have the old style P22 with internal lock and non-captive recoil spring. It has been reliable with every type of ammunition that's been put through it. If intended for self defense use then I agree that CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers would be the best choice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you use the small Walther metal tube to reload the recoil spring? Do you have a better way? This seems to be the hardest part of reassembly.

Premium Member
My P22 came with a plain plastic rod that I threw out before I read here what it was for. Here's my technique:

For reassembly I insert the spring and dry guide rod through the front of the slide as far as it will go. Then, using the guide rod as a handle, I place the slide and compressed spring on to the frame. With the slide mostly in place I can release the guide rod so that it drops into its seat in the frame. There's just enough of a gap for me to see it and guide it in.

Once back together with the slide locked back I can put a little oil on the rod.

I tried to take some pictures of my technique but it's a little hard one handed. I hope you can make out what I'm trying to explain. It's really easy in practice.

Attachments

Registered
Welcome Rescue....first let me say that these short barrel .22 pistols are way beyond permanent ear damaging loud....like in the 155 to 160 db range. Right up there with most center fire pistol cartridges. So ear and eye protection at all times. I personally never had any issue with the non captive recoil spring. The captive spring works well also. It is the same spring...just held captive. It also requires a slightly larger hole for the guide rod on the muzzle end of the slide. So you can adapt the old style hole to the new captive spring but not the other way around.

The trigger lock was deleted in about 2010 as I recall. Actually the inside of the frame is still the same there just are not any trigger lock parts in there or a hole for the key.....but Walther could easily add them back if ever necessary. Most people didn't use it anyway.

Regarding ammo, basically the pistol requires a high velocity round with enough blowback energy to cycle the slide. The short barrel pistol is a bit more picky than the 5". Add a suppressor and Rem Shorts will cycle the pistol. Any pistol regardless of caliber needs to be tested with the ammo an owner plans to use for self defense. You won't be able to go by the velocity on the box.....that is out of a rifle barrel. I don't have all the answers to this but some primers/powder seem to burn much quicker than others. These are the ones you need in a short barrel pistol. They get up and move out creating enough blowback gas.

Yeah, this hoarding of ammo got old years ago and its old now. We are our own worst enemy regarding this. Most of us made sure we had plenty over a couple of years after the last episode ended. I'm still shooting a 2006 P22 with over 100,000 rounds through it. That was back when you could purchase a bulk box of 500 rounds for $6 at Academy......man, I wore em out. Welcome to the Forum...we've discussed the P22 from grip to muzzle. It sure is a fun pistol. 1917

Registered

Here is the way I do it.
1. Remove the mag, make sure the pistol is unloaded
2. Pull the take down lever all the way down
3. Cock the hammer.
4. Drop the guide rod and spring into the proper recess
5. Place the muzzle of the slide over the end of the recoil spring
6. Insert something through the end of the muzzle and through the spring. This is important because the problem here is that the spring wants to kink and go willy wonka. I'm using a section of cleaning rod in the photo but anything that fits will work. It is critical that the cleaning rod remain pressed against the end of the guide rod.
7. Next pull the slide down as you align the barrel with the hole in the muzzle
8. hold it rearward, the end of the guide rod should be sticking out of the muzzle of the slide. Drop whatever you are using to keep the spring from kinking while holding the slide rearward.
9. Pull the slide all the way rearward, press down against the hammer, align the grooves with the rails and let the slide forward.
10. Press the lockdown lever all the way up.

Takes way longer to type this out that to actually do the install. But the key is to keep whatever you use to keep the recoil spring from kinking pressed against the end of the guide rod as you pull the slide rearward. 1917

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
My P22 came with a plain plastic rod that I threw out before I read here what it was for. Here's my technique:

For reassembly I insert the spring and dry guide rod through the front of the slide as far as it will go. Then, using the guide rod as a handle, I place the slide and compressed spring on to the frame. With the slide mostly in place I can release the guide rod so that it drops into its seat in the frame. There's just enough of a gap for me to see it and guide it in.

Once back together with the slide locked back I can put a little oil on the rod.

I tried to take some pictures of my technique but it's a little hard one handed. I hope you can make out what I'm trying to explain. It's really easy in practice.

Registered
When I got my P22Q the box had the standard lock with a loop to feed through the mag slot and out the ejection port. It also had the same spring and guide rod that just about everyone bitches about. It didn鈥檛 take me long to order an after market encapsulated spring/rod. Made putting the gun back together a breeze. I don鈥檛 remember having to increase the size of the hole in the slide, but if 1917 says you need to, perhaps I did.
Being in California can you even get a captured spring?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to order the rod from Midway today. It is not illegal in CA to change the recoil spring in a semi auto to remedy a FTF situation.

Registered
... It also had the same spring and guide rod that just about everyone bitches about. It didn鈥檛 take me long to order an after market encapsulated spring/rod. Made putting the gun back together a breeze. I don鈥檛 remember having to increase the size of the hole in the slide, but if 1917 says you need to, perhaps I did.
For older aftermarket springs there was no need to increase hole in slide. Just new original Walther captive spring/rod need in older guns.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to order the rod from Midway today. It is not illegal in CA to change the recoil spring in a semi auto to remedy a FTF situation.
I stand corrected. Walther advised me today that the change of recoil spring would make the weapon NON CA compliant. So they cannot provide a captive spring. I am not an expert on this so I will defer to them.

Registered
I stand corrected. Walther advised me today that the change of recoil spring would make the weapon NON CA compliant. So they cannot provide a captive spring. I am not an expert on this so I will defer to them.
Figures.

It seemed to me that it would fall under modification of the firearm.

Brilliant...

Registered
Yes....but the questions is...is it really illegal for the owner to change the recoil spring in CA. I don't know. I wasn't thinking it was and can not imagine why CA would care. Who has a copy of the law? It is the same spring. But, Ft Smith should absolutely be up to date on CA laws. I'm wondering though if it is illegal for them to sell such there with the knowledge of how their product will be used and that is their reasoning. On the other hand.........it seems we have discussed this a number of times and CA residents have said they can change certain items on the pistol if they do the work themselves. This should be sorted....a new slide and captive spring showed up at my mailbox today....and I didn't even ask for them. Perhaps PPQ steel frames and 9mm ammo will mysteriously drop out of the blue soon.

Wildtoad, do the other manufacturers say anything about not available to purchasers in CA? 1917

Registered
Figures.

It seemed to me that it would fall under modification of the firearm.

Brilliant...
I can see your point......hmmmm, pretty innocent modification. Can you freshen up the white dot with aftermarket paint? Who has a link to the law. I'd like to read it. Someone needs to use a little common sense out there and understand firearms a bit better. 1917

Registered

Q slide guide rod hole drilled to 1/4" to receive the new captive spring. No other change necessary.

New vs old. If you drill the hole larger you can not use the original spring again. The hole is too large for it. 1917

Registered
I posed the question of Tandemcross captive springs being legal in CA to them and am awaiting their response. There is nothing on their page regarding this issue. 1917

1 - 20 of 24 Posts