Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Walther P-1 this past weekend through SOG for $270 in excellent shape. I had a German student translate the target that came with the pistol. He says the gun was made in July of 1979, was a military pistol, and was rebarreled in 1995. The target includes 8 shots. 7 are within 2 inches and one is a flier (out to 3) and the gun was held mechanically and the range was 25 meters. Is this normal accuracy? Seems awfully good to me. What 9mm ammo would you and would you NOT fire through this pistol? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would stick with 115gr jhp ammo as this is what that gun was originally designed for. These guns have a tendency to jam with HP ammo from what I've read as they weren't designed to feed it ,unless you can find some that don't have a very wide mouth, they might feed reliably.

You can probably fire heavier grained bullets through it but stay away from NATO marked stuff as even standard NATO 124gr 9mm M882 ammo is loaded at or near 1300 ft/sec which puts it right at the door of +P territory and these guns were not designed to fire such high pressure rounds.

I'm planning on buying one of these soon as well and I plan on feeding it only 115gr JHP.

·
Registered
158 Posts
With all due respect to Mako, you can shoot P+ out of a P1 made in the late '70s (and probably Hirtenberger which is P++ I believe).  After the '60s the German armorers put extra pins in the frames to take the higher velocity ammo.  If his pistol was rebarreled I would bet it has the pins.

As for accuracy, that is not at all unreasonable for a P1.

When the PW arms imported P1 and P-38 pistols came in to Dan's ammo before they were distributed to SOG and other places, I got to go through a couple of hundred of them when I picked out my P38s. We looked at the differences in the frames and how the later pistols were beefed up--very noticable. I chose two P38 pistols due to the age ('60 and '61) and the superior blue-black finish--almost all of the later pistols were parkerized.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts