Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Overwatch Precision trigger upgrade for Walther Q5 SF (Review by Keith White, [email protected])​

I’ve been sitting here at the house for the past 4 weeks with nothing to do so I decided to spend some money on my gun and purchase the Overwatch Precision Trigger for my Walther Q5 SF. The range is closed and I’ve loaded a crap load of target 9mm rounds and upgraded my press with every bell and whimsical doodad you can think of so why not give this trigger a try. I’ve been waiting for the Apex trigger upgrade and have given up on that and came across this company just the other day. Seemed like a nice trigger but I could not find anyone who was willing to purchase one and do a review, it is not cheap but more on this later.

Ordered last week and it came in about 5 or 6 days, which was surprising due to the virus crap going on. Nice simple package and quality looked nice. It’s an all metal trigger and seemed to be very well made. So, I proceeded to install it in my gun. I also got two trigger springs a green and red one. A slightly below factory and one that lowered pull weight to about 3.5 lbs. I did not order this package but got it anyway and due to the fact, I run a different spring they just go into the spring bin for repurposing.

My Walther has been modified in every way possible and is has a trigger as good and crisp as any 1911 or trigger job around. I run my own springs which produce a 2.5 lb. pull and have modified the shear so creep is almost nothing and 1mm reset. As you can see in the pictures, I modified the Walther trigger to the same specifications as the one sold in Germany and can be adjusted. The only issue with this is the trigger safety did no function, don’t know if the Walther upgrade has trigger safety but the Europeans seem to get away with this but not in the US.

The new OW trigger fit perfectly in my gun, perfectly (not any adjustments required at all). I’ve played with a lot of Walther triggers and seem to always have to tweak them a little to eliminate any possible friction, not required with the OW upgrade. The trigger was also nicely polished up and very smooth unlike other purchased trigger upgrades.

I did notice that the friction dimple pressed into the trigger bar on the Walther trigger had been ground off of the OW trigger, you can see this in the pictures, it was not an issue. Other than the shape of the OW trigger there seemed to be little to no difference between the two. The OW trigger is assembled with a tiny roll pin so it is possible to remove the safety release and access the tiny spring in the trigger its self.

Assembled the gun back and gave it a few pulls, nice. However, I noticed due to the extremely light trigger spring in my gun the spring in the trigger safety was almost to strong and could lock up the pull. I’ve had this issue before on the Walther trigger and with the trigger bar springs shipped with the OW trigger, I don’t think this would be an issue. To fix this issue I dissembled the OW trigger and removed the tiny internal spring, looked for a replacement in my supply but no luck so proceeded to cut about 4 coils of the OW trigger spring and reassembled and placed back in my gun. Yes, it worked great now, no issues at all.

Summary: I really like it; all the claims are true. I like the flat trigger and with my modified LOC grip in combination with the OW trigger it now fit my smaller hand perfectly. Anybody would be hard pressed to better this design. The only thing I would change is the internal trigger lock spring could be weaker as not to impede the pull with lower trigger bar pull springs installations.

Was it worth the 200 bucks? For me, sure but I don’t cry and ***** about a few dollars. Could the price be lower, not sure as I think this unit was pre fit into a jig or gun and adjusted before being shipped to me. That takes time and money, I think that is why the price is higher than most other upgrades. It’s also all metal, I love this and the blue safety is an exact match to the Walther color. Nice job guys.:D

Issued on 4/4/2020

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
My Walther has been modified in every way possible and is has a trigger as good and crisp as any 1911 or trigger job around. I run my own springs which produce a 2.5 lb. pull and have modified the shear so creep is almost nothing and 1mm reset. As you can see in the pictures, I modified the Walther trigger to the same specifications as the one sold in Germany and can be adjusted. The only issue with this is the trigger safety did no function, don’t know if the Walther upgrade has trigger safety but the Europeans seem to get away with this but not in the US.
Just a word of caution. I too have drilled and tapped my sear housing and added the allen screw to adjust the forward position of the single action sear (this was Lanzer's mod). This allows you to minimize the creep, once you're at the wall by reducing the overlap of the contact patch between the single action lever and the single action sear.

This mod 'alone' still leaves you with a functioning 'center blade, drop safety' as well as a functioning FPB. So, if you've reduced the creep or contact patch to a bare minimum and you drop the pistol, you've still got 'two' safeties to prevent the gun from firing, should the single action lever get knocked reared an rch when it hits the ground.

Now, with the addition of the allen screw in the front/top of the trigger shoe, which can be adjusted to place the trigger in a position all the way back to the wall, you now have bypassed the trigger shoe center blade drop safety and the FPB is fully compressed. So, if this gun also has a 2.5 pound 'trigger return spring'......well.....their ain't NO safeties and you're only 2.5 lbs away from firing.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just want to make sure you're aware (and I'm sure your were). But more importantly, if anyone else wanted to do this, I want to make sure they understand they end result of these two mods.

The sear housing mod (to reduce creep) is one thing, but the forward position mod eliminates ALL the safety mechanisms.

This is simply a 'Public Service Announcement'. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a word of caution. I too have drilled and tapped my sear housing and added the allen screw to adjust the forward position of the single action sear (this was Lanzer's mod). This allows you to minimize the creep, once you're at the wall by reducing the overlap of the contact patch between the single action lever and the single action sear.

This mod 'alone' still leaves you with a functioning 'center blade, drop safety' as well as a functioning FPB. So, if you've reduced the creep or contact patch to a bare minimum and you drop the pistol, you've still got 'two' safeties to prevent the gun from firing, should the single action lever get knocked reared an rch when it hits the ground.

Now, with the addition of the allen screw in the front/top of the trigger shoe, which can be adjusted to place the trigger in a position all the way back to the wall, you now have bypassed the trigger shoe center blade drop safety and the FPB is fully compressed. So, if this gun also has a 2.5 pound 'trigger return spring'......well.....their ain't NO safeties and you're only 2.5 lbs away from firing.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just want to make sure you're aware (and I'm sure your were). But more importantly, if anyone else wanted to do this, I want to make sure they understand they end result of these two mods.

The sear housing mod (to reduce creep) is one thing, but the forward position mod eliminates ALL the safety mechanisms.

This is simply a 'Public Service Announcement'. :D
And that my friend is why I now have the Overwatch Trigger, :D

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Okay, now I'm curious. Remove the mag from your SF, make sure chamber is empty (I have to say that), shine a flashlight down the mag well and see if you can see the tab on the trigger bar and the FPB. Move the trigger rearward to watch and see if the FPB is being compressed as you move the trigger rearward, or with the trigger fully forward is the tab on the trigger bar placed on top of the FPB, already compressing it?

I can do this with a poly Q, don't know if you'll be able to see what you need to see on an SF model (I'm just talking, line of sight).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, now I'm curious. Remove the mag from your SF, make sure chamber is empty (I have to say that), shine a flashlight down the mag well and see if you can see the tab on the trigger bar and the FPB. Move the trigger rearward to watch and see if the FPB is being compressed as you move the trigger rearward, or with the trigger fully forward is the tab on the trigger bar placed on top of the FPB, already compressing it?

I can do this with a poly Q, don't know if you'll be able to see what you need to see on an SF model (I'm just talking, line of sight).
Yes, it functions properly as intended, so with new upgrade all drop safeties function.

Regards, Keith

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
This is from their site:

Discription
Overwatch Precisions TAC Trigger kit for Walther Q4, Q5 SF, and PPQ pistols feature OP's proven TAC trigger design. Included in the kit is a NP3'ed and CNC-tuned OEM bar complete with two different trigger return springs for the discerning shooter. Our Tac trigger aides in a self-correcting rearward press, short reset and an improvement on the best OEM trigger on the market. As with all OP triggers, the TAC kit comes with pre-travel reduction and does not void any of the internal safeties.

Features include:

58% decrease in pre-travel
50% decrease in total travel
NP3'ed OEM bar for lifetime corrosion resistance and lubricity
CNC-tuned bar for constancy, safety, and quality
3.8lb (red) and 4.4lb (green) return springs included
Compatible with OEM return spring (provides a 5lb+ pull)

Sounds great. If I had the money, I'd order one today...just cuz I like to play with cook stuff. But, I've been spending too much on ammo, magazines, food and toilet paper.....and feminine napkins to use as a face mask. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the trigger also for my SF Pro. I have a Q5 match Poly also. Neither's been fired. Waiting for this covid 19 crap to clear. I also have a PPQ M1.

Both polys have a slight grinding and gritty trigger. The M1 has an APEX that I am not happy with at all. I had to polish the crap out of the bar etc to get it half way decent and smooth. Its not right and im not sure the gritty feeling will ever be gone. Its obviously grinding on multiple sides in the sear housing. The Q5 Poly has the factory trigger and unfired and studying the sear housing it also has excessive friction but not as bad as the M1.
I say all that to say Im not sure what it is yet but the overwatch trigger in the SF is perfect. It feels insanely smooth and makes that apex trigger feel like garbage. I have ordered an overwatch trigger and plan to try it in the M1 and Poly Q5 and see what it does.
Right now im not sure if the SF has a better housing or the overwatch is perfectly milled or both but it can't be any better and worth every cent if it fixes the 2 polys.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread. Just a quick question while we are talking about triggers. Is there any news on Walther's new trigger? I'm torn between waiting for the Walther trigger and just giving in and buying the Overwatch.

I'd love to see a comparison of the two (if only that was possible).

It is great to hear people are liking the new Overwatch offering. Sure seems like a solid choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would love to see a comparison between the two as well. Anyone willing to buy both and post a video once it's available?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will shoot some videos. Ill have the Apex in an M1 and an OP in the Q5 SF and the Q5 Poly. Ive got hours in trying to make that Apex feel like the OP right out of the box and its not happening. The Apex is much better now but still doesn't have the silky smooth and crisp feel of the OP.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Overwatch Precision trigger upgrade for Walther Q5 SF (Review by Keith White, [email protected])​

I’ve been sitting here at the house for the past 4 weeks with nothing to do so I decided to spend some money on my gun and purchase the Overwatch Precision Trigger for my Walther Q5 SF. The range is closed and I’ve loaded a crap load of target 9mm rounds and upgraded my press with every bell and whimsical doodad you can think of so why not give this trigger a try. I’ve been waiting for the Apex trigger upgrade and have given up on that and came across this company just the other day. Seemed like a nice trigger but I could not find anyone who was willing to purchase one and do a review, it is not cheap but more on this later.

Ordered last week and it came in about 5 or 6 days, which was surprising due to the virus crap going on. Nice simple package and quality looked nice. It’s an all metal trigger and seemed to be very well made. So, I proceeded to install it in my gun. I also got two trigger springs a green and red one. A slightly below factory and one that lowered pull weight to about 3.5 lbs. I did not order this package but got it anyway and due to the fact, I run a different spring they just go into the spring bin for repurposing.

The new OW trigger fit perfectly in my gun, perfectly (not any adjustments required at all). I’ve played with a lot of Walther triggers and seem to always have to tweak them a little to eliminate any possible friction, not required with the OW upgrade. The trigger was also nicely polished up and very smooth unlike other purchased trigger upgrades.

I did notice that the friction dimple pressed into the trigger bar on the Walther trigger had been ground off of the OW trigger, you can see this in the pictures, it was not an issue. Other than the shape of the OW trigger there seemed to be little to no difference between the two. The OW trigger is assembled with a tiny roll pin so it is possible to remove the safety release and access the tiny spring in the trigger its self.

Assembled the gun back and gave it a few pulls, nice. However, I noticed due to the extremely light trigger spring in my gun the spring in the trigger safety was almost to strong and could lock up the pull. I’ve had this issue before on the Walther trigger and with the trigger bar springs shipped with the OW trigger, I don’t think this would be an issue. To fix this issue I dissembled the OW trigger and removed the tiny internal spring, looked for a replacement in my supply but no luck so proceeded to cut about 4 coils of the OW trigger spring and reassembled and placed back in my gun. Yes, it worked great now, no issues at all.

Summary: I really like it; all the claims are true. I like the flat trigger and with my modified LOC grip in combination with the OW trigger it now fit my smaller hand perfectly. Anybody would be hard pressed to better this design. The only thing I would change is the internal trigger lock spring could be weaker as not to impede the pull with lower trigger bar pull springs installations.

Was it worth the 200 bucks? For me, sure but I don’t cry and * about a few dollars. Could the price be lower, not sure as I think this unit was pre fit into a jig or gun and adjusted before being shipped to me. That takes time and money, I think that is why the price is higher than most other upgrades. It’s also all metal, I love this and the blue safety is an exact match to the Walther color. Nice job guys.:D

Issued on 4/4/2020
A quick update on Overwatch Precision triggers in Walther Q4 SF. I purchased a OPT for my new Walther Q4 SF and installed it yesterday. All fit great but due to the fact I run a lower trigger return spring that the ones supplied in the purchase of the OPT I was preceding to modify the trigger shoe return spring by clipping two of the 12 coils off. I've made this mod before with no issues but in the process the tinny spring shot across the room. After a while I gave up and call Overewatch for a replacement spring which they stated they would mail out. Later that day they sent email stating I needed to send the trigger into them to be fixed and they would not send me just a spring. Even later in the day my 20 year old daughter found the spring and I modified it to meet my specifications. The spring is like the 8969T109 McMaster part number and should work just right for my needs, .025 inches shorter than the trigger stock spring, about the amount I remove, 2 of the 12 total coils.

I completed the Mod and all the upgrades to my new Q4 SF, It is one of the best guns I have now and shoots and feels great, about a 2.8 lb trigger, firm wall and almost no pre travel and reset. I also have the set screw mod on this gum, all the safeties work as designed.

Again if you need a Overwatch Precision Walther Q5 or 4 SF shoe spring I think the 8969T109 McMaster part number and should work.

I'm impressed with the Overwatch Precision trigger and have a Walther Dynamic trigger on order and will document a head to head comparison between the two when the Walther Trigger arrives.

Kind Regards, [email protected]

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You and a few others are pushing the envelope on just how good striker-fired gun's triggers can be.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Also, I wish I had your skills!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts