Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gun shop picking up my shiny new Beretta Inox compact. Probably couldn’t be in a much better mood. Then I hear an employee ask a man that just came from the range how his be firearm shot. The older customer said it was shooting low to the left, even when he used his range bag as a rest. The employee went on about practicing his trigger pull and dry firing. I then looked up and saw the man a bolt action rifle on the counter. I have limited experience shooting rifle. Limited to my AR and my 357 lever action. BUT I’ve never heard of poor finger control on a rifle trigger causing one to shoot low left. In a pistol yes but not a rifle. I kept my mouth shut as I didn’t want to come off as some know it all.

Am I wrong as far as the trigger pull not affecting rifle shot placement?

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Jake, jerking the trigger can cause mischief in any firearm. The rifle is a lot more forgiving than a handgun, but it can still happen.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
In diagnosing low and left with a rifle, I'd be more inclined to rule out the following before trying to rule out trigger pull:
  • Fresh scope mount without it having been zero'd
  • Different ammunition from that with which the rifle was zero'd
  • Zero'd scope but shooter not lining up dominant eye directly in line with scope
  • Zero'd scope but shooter not accounting for wind and bullet drop at a given distance (which varies from distance at which scope was zero'd)
The above all assume a scope is involved, but the same sort of thinking applies to irons, too.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I'd suggest the guy lets someone else shoot it, see if it's low/left for them, too.

If so, I'd look at the scope, make sure it's snug, and zeroed.

I had an issue with my Model 70 a couple of years ago...the scope was moving in the rings due to the recoil. Played absolute hell with my aim, and drove me nuts trying to figure it out. When i went to turn the back to zoom out...the ring wouldn't turn...scope had slid forward and the ring was up against the scope ring (mount).

Had to take it off, degrease it, and mount it again, then re-zero it. I guess some gun oil had seeped in there and made it more susceptible to movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts