Walther Forums banner

Have you had ANY problems with your RMSc on the PPS?

• Yes -- the damn thing died and I had to have it replaced

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes -- it works well but drifts and loses zero frequently

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some -- a few adjustments needed here or there, but otherwise not bad

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No -- it's been flawless and I'm happy with it

Votes: 6 75.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen a number of people comment on ownership of the PPS M2 equipped with RMSc from the factory.

One thread in particular has documented a hellish experience with what seems to have been a defective sight -- the hellishness seems (?) to have stemmed from the perverse way in which customer support is handled (gun = Walther, sight = Shield, interface between the two = your own problem?)

Others have run them flawlessly.

So what's your experience?

*** Note -- I haven't run the RMSc. My only red dot experience was installing an RMR Type 2 on my CZ P-07 -- installed, zeroed, and it's been absolutely flawless in the 2000 rounds I've shot since. So I'm used to things just working!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love mine. Shield RMSc holds zero just fine. No malfunctions of any kind. Feels great in the hand and shoots wonderfully for its size. Not cheap but well worth it considering what some pay to get their slides milled, repainted, buy a MRDS separately, and put it all together. I think the PPS RMSc is a bargain and I’m pleased so far, with my purchase. This is my first MRDS on a pistol and wish I could put one on all my handguns.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m loving mine and it has held zero so far.
What's the size of the dot? I'm used to a 6 MOA dot on my Trijicon RMR. I find smaller dots useful for target shooting (great on a 22 target zapper like Ruger Mark!) but less effective for rapid sight acquisition.

Is the RMSc dot big enough to acquire easily?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I like my PPS/RMSc...the sight scratches easily from normal cleaning. I carry mine daily, so lint from my undershirt accumulates in the sight. No big deal (I thought)...as I simply cleaned the lens daily using a soft towel (like used for buffing cars) to brush off the lint. Several times a week I would use a liquid lens cleaner to remove any oil. After about 4 months, the lens started clouding up. You could see where cleaning the dust/lint was wearing on the lens coating. At 6 months, it's to the point where I need to replace the sight, since it blurs the target and it distorts the red dot. I contacted Walther and they referred me to Shield. Shield didn't acknowledge it as a typical problem but said I could turn in a warranty claim. Since the cleaner they recommend is not readily available in the USA, they recommended using other MEK products or WD40 electrical contact spray. I don't know of any other red dot that will fit the PPS slide, unfortunately. So I may get another RMSc and try to baby it until another option comes along. After getting used to the red dot, I'd hate to go back to iron sights.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought my used for 325 plus tax. They said it was traded in because it "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" I took it out made some adjustments, and now I'm shooting half dollar size groups at 25 yards. Which for me is some pretty darn good shooting with a gun that small.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Although I like my PPS/RMSc...the sight scratches easily from normal cleaning. I carry mine daily, so lint from my undershirt accumulates in the sight. No big deal (I thought)...as I simply cleaned the lens daily using a soft towel (like used for buffing cars) to brush off the lint. Several times a week I would use a liquid lens cleaner to remove any oil. After about 4 months, the lens started clouding up. You could see where cleaning the dust/lint was wearing on the lens coating. At 6 months, it's to the point where I need to replace the sight, since it blurs the target and it distorts the red dot. I contacted Walther and they referred me to Shield. Shield didn't acknowledge it as a typical problem but said I could turn in a warranty claim. Since the cleaner they recommend is not readily available in the USA, they recommended using other MEK products or WD40 electrical contact spray. I don't know of any other red dot that will fit the PPS slide, unfortunately. So I may get another RMSc and try to baby it until another option comes along. After getting used to the red dot, I'd hate to go back to iron sights.

You may have already seen this, but I'll add the link for cleaning, just in case. Haven't tried it yet myself, so can't give any results.

Will pick up some at Home Depot, next trip there & see how it goes.

A bit of an update......apparently MEK is not available anymore, but instead, there is the MEK Substitute at Home Depot. Decided to roll the dice @ $10 a qt. ( not a big loss ), and got the sub.

I have another RSMC sight that was damaged due to dropping on parking lot ( won't go into how that happened ). So, having nothing to lose, decided to try it out on the damaged one. Got the better Q- tips as in the video, put a finger print on the lens ( both sides ), and cleaned it the same way as in the video.
Worked fine, let it set overnight, clear as gin.
I'm not going to go so far as to recommend it, just my experience using the cleaner & procedure. This is, what Shield recommends tho, so I'm going with it.
Hope this helps someone........good luck, enjoy the RSMc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.