Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
The article mentioned 50 people took the safety test and bought some kind of gun.

Left out a lot of detail about buying a gun in California.

Certainly did not walk in and pick out a gun and buy it and walk out with it..

California requires a firearms safety certificate ( pass a test). Hopefully they have prior experience.
NICS check and registration
10 day waiting period
Handgun Roster only for new from the FFL purchase

Semi auto rifle bans (CA defined AWB)
Background check for ammo purchase ( may have been included for the firearm purchase)

So not really a panic buy.

Maybe a wake up call.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can people really be reacting like this. How many will buy with no training?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-lining-buy-guns-because-153245983.html

You're probably too "free"...I suspect you live in a state where you can just go exercise your right to bear arms at will. Those folks also have a 10 day waiting period. A lot of good that will do when all the stores are shuttered 10 days from now. They should have thought ahead.

Same thing goes for states with universal BG checks. Now that no one is supposed to be within 6 feet of anyone else, it's much more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
7,320 Posts
It's media hype. Guns scare them silly, and the notion of people having them really scare them.
We're a long way from the end of life as we know it.
That said, keep your powder dry.
Moon

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I went by The Bullet Trap in Plano on Sunday around noon. Saturday they were cleaned out by first time buyers. All of the "Tactical Style" Rifles were bought. All of the hunting rifles were still on the wall. LOL

All of the 9MM, 5.56, and 7.62 ammo was bought. It was a sight to behold.

I went by two Cabela's, a Bass Pro, and an Academy and all of the 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62 ammo was gone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh no, people buying guns without prior training? Whatever shall we do?

Kinda hard to train without a gun. Don't recall the constitution saying anything about needing training to arm yourself either. Just because we choose to train and educate ourselves doesn't mean it should be mandatory. By that logic the state can impose any conditions it pleases on YOU exercising YOUR constitutional rights.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Kinda hard to train without a gun. Don't recall the constitution saying anything about needing training to arm yourself either. Just because we choose to train and educate ourselves doesn't mean it should be mandatory. By that logic the state can impose any conditions it pleases on YOU exercising YOUR constitutional rights.

Agreed...although sometimes I tend to think a certain set of people require "voting" training...:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

There is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with firearm ownership. I obviously support the right to bear arms. I wouldn’t compare someone who buys a gun out of panic to someone who decides it’s something they want to get into. How many of these panic buyers purchased a small lock box to keep it in? How many will simply put the firearm down in a drawer.

Yes they have every right to purchase a firearm but how many will follow though and be responsible owners, how many will put in the range time to become proficient? How many think what they seen on tv or movies is how a gun operates?

Even worse.. how many will buy Glocks because they know the name!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Panic buying

People are panic buying everything. I first saw this about a week ago with the start of the toilet paper runs. Suddenly firearms are in the news. One article I saw said they wanted to protect their toilet paper in the parking lot of Target. This is getting a bit weird.

I have all my medications through the mail. I have food and personal supplies handy, not super stocked. If my neighbors call, or come over, and ask for help I can supply them. I, in the past, after being blacked out due to hurricanes, have had half the neighborhood over for cookout to get rid of food. This time I will only ask if they have been exposed and if so I would arrange for remote delivery.

I have had firearms my entire life. I never have thought of panic buying in times of crisis, because I am prepared. I believe this crisis will pass,as many others I have seen in my 72 years. Keep our heads straight and we will make it through. Stay safe, but remember we are all in this together.

Duncan

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
We see similar nonsense during hurricane season.

What tics me off this trying to restock my jump kit. I've never had to think about where to buy masks, gloves and wipes before. I could buy this stuff online or just resupply from the local bus (ambulance) as needed.

·
Registered
129 Posts

There is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with firearm ownership. I obviously support the right to bear arms. I wouldn’t compare someone who buys a gun out of panic to someone who decides it’s something they want to get into. How many of these panic buyers purchased a small lock box to keep it in? How many will simply put the firearm down in a drawer.

Yes they have every right to purchase a firearm but how many will follow though and be responsible owners, how many will put in the range time to become proficient? How many think what they seen on tv or movies is how a gun operates?

Even worse.. how many will buy Glocks because they know the name!!!

Again, the constitution does not require you to buy a lock box ( I have one in a bedside drawer, couple under tables with magnets, shotgun in a fake wall cavity) nor does it require you to fulfill someone else’s criteria of “ responsible gun owner”. We are all allowed our opinions of who is too stupid to own a gun, it is a free-ish country, but your opinion means exactly nothing with regards to some idiot’s right to exercise the 2A.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I just got back from my LGS. The parking lot was full and there was a line almost out the door. Quite a few empty spots on the walls and in the cases. The hot item was AR's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just got back from my LGS. The parking lot was full and there was a line almost out the door. Quite a few empty spots on the walls and in the cases. The hot item was AR's.

Won't see that happening in the VERY free states, although it's good business for the LGS's.

Isn't it interesting that when there's the threat of a massive storm, virus, or Demoncrat.....sheepeople suddenly think of something they should have thought of a long time ago. Sadly, in many states it may be too late. And even in times of crisis, if you're in a "universal background check" state, you can't even borrow a gun from your (smarter) neighbor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No words. I have no words.

I had to do the math on that one. :eek: That's $35 a box for what normally sells for maybe $10 a box. As a libertarian, I'm opposed to anti-gouging laws, so they can ask what they want....but it'll be really bad before sane people pay that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No words

It's the Stack and Carry box, like the giant cube of toilet paper, it's all in the packaging. As soon as it warms up I intend to sit out at my work bench doing that activity that needs primer, powder and other things. You guessed it. I'm painting with a primer. Have to sand, so lots of dusty powder.:)

Duncan

·
Registered
80 Posts

The mandatory training camp was sparked by anti gunners. No point in becoming apologists for anti gun rhetoric. Everyone should get quality training if they can afford it. But training should never be mandatory. One would think gun manufacturers would sponsor gun safety classes for the public, it would certainly be good marketing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Lets see, the last administration threatened to take away guns and ammo. And the panic buying on both lasted eight years. Now we have just the opposite. Panic buying on food etc. And not enough guns and ammo to go around. More than weird. Really beyond what ever the norm is or suppose to be.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts