Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! New forum member and gun owner here.
After testing multiple options for ccw (shield, shield ez, p365, g43, g43x, g48, xds), decided to go for the PPS M2. It felt great in my hands and shot it almost as good as my full size m&p9 2.0 that my wife and I use for home defense. my wife will go for the 43x for ccw.

Soo I purchased a new PPS M2 online last week and went to the range yesterday to give it a first run. Before leaving home, I did a quick field strip and lubrication.

First 30 rounds were OK, but then started noticing the slide would not lock back. At first I thought it was my grip, either limp wrist or my thumb riding the slide lock. Double checked my grip and ran another ~30 rounds and still the slide would not lock back, even asked one of the range attendants come check with me. Then I had several FTF, 4 total, last one I noticed the slide stopped its travel about 1 inch inward from the muzzle. Checked the bullet and did not see a striker mark on all the FTF’s. I’m thinking it could be one or more of the following:
1) oiled striker - I noticed the gun had a lot of oil when I first opened the box. Might have not cleaned out any oil near the striker when I first stripped.
2) ammo - shot both Fiocchi fmj 115gr and Winchester 115gr fmj white box, same issue. But I have used Fiocchi on my m&p9 and others with no problems.
3) break-in period - does the pps m2 need a break-in?
4) magazine - mags are obviously brand new so possibly too stiff? I’ve loaded both (6 and 7 round) and will leave them there for a week.
5) grip - already checked that as mentioned before but could still be a possibility.

I did a thorough clean and lubrication per the manual when I came back from the range last night. Will go back Friday or Saturday and see what happens.

I’m excited to start carrying the pps but a bit bummed with the issues I’m having.

Is there anything else that I’ve missed? Appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. FWIW I have never had any kind of malfunction with my PPS M2. Unfortunately these things can be difficult to diagnose online.
Maybe you’ll get some good ideas here to try otherwise I would contact Walther. Their customer service seems to be top notch.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I have PPS M2 with 500 rounds through it and not a single problem. You ought to call Walther CS and report the issues. Perhaps there are some owners that have reported a similar problem. You might have to send the gun to them or maybe thay have a qiick fix you can do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A little surprised to hear this. They have had a few issues, but not reliability.
I would recommend another strip, clean, lube and careful reassembly.
Maybe something went back together a little wonky like guide rod/spring. Like someone else said, call Walther. They're very responsive.
Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may not want to say....but I would like to know who you bought it from on line. I have two pps m2’s.....one with 1100 round count and the other with about 450 round count. Never a problem! Would like to know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
@ragg, I went to the range at my LGS evening and mentioned the problem you have experienced to the one of the employees who carries a PPS M2. He took a guess at the problem based upon the types of issues. He thinks that the recoil rod is likely no properly positioned. He has had a couple folks that have had a problem with the gun and brought it to be looked at. In those cases the person has set the recoil rod incorrectly in place, that is too deep. It is supposed to sit high with no tension when installed unlike many other guns. You might check that out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ragg, I went to the range at my LGS evening and mentioned the problem you have experienced to the one of the employees who carries a PPS M2. He took a guess at the problem based upon the types of issues. He thinks that the recoil rod is likely no properly positioned. He has had a couple folks that have had a problem with the gun and brought it to be looked at. In those cases the person has set the recoil rod incorrectly in place, that is too deep. It is supposed to sit high with no tension when installed unlike many other guns. You might check that out.
Many thanks for looking into this. Another member also suggested the same, so just to make sure I understand...I looked at the manual and the recoil rod seems to be sitting on the flat edge of the half-moon cut, and I say 'seems' because there is no close-up pic in the manual but you can see that there is a gap between the base of the spring and the next wall. There is a preload tension on the spring if you do it that way, manual even says the rod might bend a little. I took a photo with a detail view...manual suggests the spring sits on wall 'A' but you're saying it should be on wall 'B'?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may not want to say....but I would like to know who you bought it from on line. I have two pps m2’s.....one with 1100 round count and the other with about 450 round count. Never a problem! Would like to know what you find out.
Purchased it from Bud's for $270, crazy deal. I'm really hoping it's something simple like the spring assembly as some have suggested.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Many thanks for looking into this. Another member also suggested the same, so just to make sure I understand...I looked at the manual and the recoil rod seems to be sitting on the flat edge of the half-moon cut, and I say 'seems' because there is no close-up pic in the manual but you can see that there is a gap between the base of the spring and the next wall. There is a preload tension on the spring if you do it that way, manual even says the rod might bend a little. I took a photo with a detail view...manual suggests the spring sits on wall 'A' but you're saying it should be on wall 'B'?

Yes, I am saying set recoil assembly at point B in your photo.

Url leads to a copy of assembly from manual and a photo of my assembly.

It seems counterintuitive compared to other guns, but here is practically no tension on the spring when it is placed correctly. It feel like it could drop out on reassembly. I think the recoil assembly may reseat itself upon reassembly slide racking. Of course since it cant be seen I am not certain.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1cbypf5ta/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It seems counterintuitive compared to other guns, but here is practically no tension on the spring when it is placed correctly. It feel like it could drop out on reassembly. I think the recoil assembly may reseat itself upon reassembly slide racking. Of course since it cant be seen I am not certain.

Thanks for the quick reply ! I’ll reassemble, test end of the week and report back.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I have looked at several reviews of the PPS in recent days, thinking about buying one since they are at very good prices now at certain gun shops. One video I saw was by a lady reviewer and shooter and during her demonstration of takedown and reassembly she mentions how easily it takes down and how easy the recoil spring assembly goes back in. She starts this demonstration at about the 3 minute mark and ends about 3:59 minutes into the video.

Good luck with your PPS. I just got back from Bud's in Sevierville a few minutes ago and have one sitting on my desk. I'll clean and maybe get a chance to shoot it tomorrow if the weather isn't too nice. If the weather is really nice I'll have to take my better half cycling.

Sigh! The things we do for love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=V5CHKI3mCis

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had some failures to load and some failures to lock back with my PPS M2 for the fist few boxes of cheaper ammo. went to 500 rnds of Win NATO and no problems at all. Now it will shoot just about anything with no issues. Pro=bably have over 5000 rounds through it now and really like the gun. Though I am shooting my VP9 long slide at the range, I still carry the PPS.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I took my new PPS M2 to the range late Wednesday afternoon after a quick cleaning. I had limited time but ran 125 rounds through it of Blazer Brass 124 grain, IMI 124 grain and Winchester NATO 124 grain. Only issue was a failure to lock back slide on a couple of occasions in the first few magazines full. I expected this due to some videos where people rode the slide lock. I moved my right thumb ever so slightly and the problem went away and the gun functioned perfectly.

This gun is very accurate and I like the sights, trigger, grip and overall feel a lot. I fired the first few magazines sitting at the bench and using my range bag as a rest. Distance was 10 yards. The first six shots could be covered with a quarter and the seventh was a flyer about a half inch away. The LE luminous sights are great and really stand out for my aging eyes.

The trigger guard rubs the bottom of my trigger finger in dry and live fire which is an annoyance. I'll find a fix for that as these type issues are specific to a person's finger and grip.

The photos of previous posters which show the recoil spring in the "B" position are correct.

I need another single stack 9mm like I need a hole in the head, but I've always admired the PPS M2 and so far am not disappointed. I chose it over the Shield and hope it was the right choice.

OP, good luck with your issue and your PPS M2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a similar experience to Bassackward's report.

I had a few bobbles in the first 400 or so rounds through the pistol. Some were user error, such as riding the slide lock or not seating the magazine firmly enough. I do think that a few of the malfunctions were a result of how tightly sprung the gun is. The 115gr light target loads just didn't have enough power to reliably cycle the thing. At some point I put some hotter defensive loads through it (147gr HST, and I think 124gr Gold Dots) and it broke in. No malfunctions at all in over 2000 rounds since, which includes all sorts of different ammo (124gr and 147 HST, 124gr Gold Dot, 147gr Sig V-crown, WWB 115gr, Fiocchi 115gr CMJ, Federal 115gr Red Box Target load). For how small the thing is, it really is a remarkable little pistol. It is my only single stack 9, and I see no reason to purchase another one despite the hype around some newer offerings like the Sig P365. The PPS is, in my opinion, a safer bet as far as reliability goes, at least for another year or so. The 365 just hasn't been around long enough. The build quality, handling, and functionality of the PPS is superior to every other single stack 9 that I tried when searching for a wonder nine. That list includes the G43, Shield, XDM (I had to use it as a surrogate for the XDS), Kahr PM9, Beretta Nano (well made like all Beretta's, but stiff trigger and unconventional controls were not for me).

Rest assured, the PPS is an amazing little pistol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP here again - I finally found time to go to the range this past Thursday...work had been hectic for the past couple of weeks :S

As several recommended, I cleaned and reassembled putting the spring to the 'B' position. Shot 150+ rounds of 115 gr FMJ and saw no issues at all !! Man, I really like this gun, it's comfortable and accurate in hand. My only wish is that it had a larger capacity - yes I know there's an 8-rd mag but seems like it will be more difficult to conceal than the 7-rd which for me, prints a little bit at 4 o'clock. The 6-rd mag just doesn't work for my large hands.

I'm encouraged to hear the good reliability accounts on this pistol, gives me further confidence that I made the right choice for concealed carry :)

Thanks everyone for the help !

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
@ragg, glad to read that it worked out well. It is a fantastic gun. I like it better than any gun I have owned and that means six others. Re the capacity, do not focus on it. The seven rounds will do it. I carried a M1911 in Nam for 2 years. As a combat photographer it was my primary weapon. Standard ammo carry was 7 in the pistol plus two mags of 7 each. You learned to switch out mags fast. It is actually easy to do with a bit of practice. I carry two extra 7 round mags so I have 7+ 1 + 14. I fell very secure with 22 rounds. Single stack mags are easy to carry. And the gun is more easily concealed. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ragg, glad to read that it worked out well. It is a fantastic gun. I like it better than any gun I have owned and that means six others. Re the capacity, do not focus on it. The seven rounds will do it. I carried a M1911 in Nam for 2 years. As a combat photographer it was my primary weapon. Standard ammo carry was 7 in the pistol plus two mags of 7 each. You learned to switch out mags fast. It is actually easy to do with a bit of practice. I carry two extra 7 round mags so I have 7+ 1 + 14. I fell very secure with 22 rounds. Single stack mags are easy to carry. And the gun is more easily concealed. Happy shooting.
very true, thanks for the advice !

·
Registered
334 Posts
OP here again - I finally found time to go to the range this past Thursday...work had been hectic for the past couple of weeks :S

As several recommended, I cleaned and reassembled putting the spring to the 'B' position. Shot 150+ rounds of 115 gr FMJ and saw no issues at all !! Man, I really like this gun, it's comfortable and accurate in hand. My only wish is that it had a larger capacity - yes I know there's an 8-rd mag but seems like it will be more difficult to conceal than the 7-rd which for me, prints a little bit at 4 o'clock. The 6-rd mag just doesn't work for my large hands.

I'm encouraged to hear the good reliability accounts on this pistol, gives me further confidence that I made the right choice for concealed carry :)

Ragg, I carry with the 8rd. mag all the time, with no issues. Guess it depends on your method of carry. When I carry concealed ( which is 99% of the time ), I carry with the shirt tail out, in warm weather, and with a jacket in cold weather. Works for me. Also, wear a t-shirt underneath the shirt.

Enjoy your new PPS M2.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts

I agree ragg. The 7 round mag seems to be the sweet spot. 7 in the mag and 1 in the pipe isn't bad. Still...it would be great to see Walther do the stack and a half thing like the G43x and give us a 10 round gun with the slide profile of the PPS. We can dream right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts