Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a friend (new to firearms) to the range and let him try out my 9mm p99. I noticed he was hainv some trouble - click but no boom. Tried double-striking it and nothing. So I ejected the load and it had a shallow primer strike.

I think this was happening because he wasn't letting the slide snap back on its own. He was helping it forward when loading.

Once I re-loaded it, there were no problems. FWIW, he was having the same problem with a Sig and I never ever had problems with it. It was always the first shot after he closed the slide.

I assume that it is possible that the slide wasn't completely in battery, and that the light primer strike _could_ have fired. If so, this could have been a bad thing. Anyone ever have this experience? Can the p99 fire out of battery? Seems possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He eased it closed, which he now knows not to do. I thought that if it didn't go fully into battery, it would not/should not fire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find the Walther is sensitive to not going to battery when easing the slide. The last 1/2 an inch seems to be very critical. Eg. Pulling back slide to check loaded round, let go and it often does not go into battery. Dropping slide or loading it by letting it go from the rearmost position seems to be pretty positive.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I notice this too when I cock a decocked and chambered P99 by pulling the slide back 1/8 inch. I usually pull back and then tap the back of the slide with the heel of my palm in one motion to alleviate this.

BKP99; There is no need to pull the slide back to check for a loaded chamber - the chamber loaded indicator on the right slide of the slide where the extractor is does that for you. I wouldn't do it unless you are handing your P99 to somebody else, in which case its proper firearms safety and etiquette to visually inspect the chamber and give it to them w/ an open action.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand that you need to let the slide go and not ride it home but......

When I pull the slide back to put the gun in SA or do a press check it hangs up and does not go fully into battery. It is not hung up by much, if you sort of flick your wrist it will go into battery. It only hangs up with a round in the chamber. Do I need more lube or maybe even grease somewhere?

The thing that worries me is that the slide can be as far as a half inch back and the trigger will go click and send the slide the rest into battery. Is the striker actually hitting the primer, or is there a firing pin block or something?

If it is striking the primer with the slide back a 1/4 to 1/2 wouldn't that be a firing out of battery situation that could cause real problems?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It certainly shouldn't fire 1/2" out of battery. Even a quarter sounds like a lot to me.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's not "firing". It's just decocking. The slide has to be closed before the trigger bar will lift the firing pin block out of the way.

If you really want to know if it's prone to firing unlocked, take it to a range and chamber a cartridge, letting the slide go forward slowly so it stays out of battery. Pull the trigger, then eject the cartridge and examine the primer for a firing pin mark.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts