Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 9mm P99 QA has had 2 failures to feed & 2 failures to fire...

With the failures to feed the bullet did not chamber all the way and a quick tap on the back of the gun set it in motion...no problems after that...I usually bring about 3 pistols to the range so I didnt keep track of the ammo used...

With the failures to fire I may not have let the trigger reset far enough but I'm not sure...A secondary squeeze on the trigger produced a nice shot...

Hopefully things will smooth out the more I shoot...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Could be break in period. I had some trouble with one of mine and after a few hundred rounds, no problem. I have never had a bit of trouble from my compact. All mine are AS. Only one that was
touchy at first was my early, split trigger model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never use reloads...It has been speer...winchester & remington...

Alot of times I dont concentrate on each shot...I just fire away...sometimes letting adreline take over...maybe that has something to do with it or maybe the break in period...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, I shot 160 thru my P99 today - 1st time I shot it after it was hard chromed - all worked great

I compared it to my SW99 - they are the same accuracy wise.

Unfortunately, the P99 I droped a few months ago and damaged the frame - that one was a bit more accurate than the SW99 - oh well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just shot the first 150 rounds through my new P99 QA tonight...not a single problem. It shoots really nicely. Seems very accurate (considering who's doing the shooting).

What ammo are you using?

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you have a QA and all you have to do to get the round to fire is pull the trigger again I don't think you let it reset before you pulled it the first time. The QA isn't second strike capable, you'd have to rack the slide to reset the striker and chamber the round again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TavisB,
I never shoot reloads...& I cant remember which factory brand jammed cause I always bring about 3 guns with me & a bunch of ammo...next time I will have to write it down if it happens again..

Soybomb,
I agree...I think my adrenaline was up & I didnt let the trigger go back far enough...

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ July 23 2006,8:39)]If you have a QA and all you have to do to get the round to fire is pull the trigger again I don't think you let it reset before you pulled it the first time. The QA isn't second strike capable, you'd have to rack the slide to reset the striker and chamber the round again.
Are you sure this is how it works? When you rack the slide, don't you eject the 'faulty' round and chamber a new one? I don't have a QA so I may well got this wrong.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ July 24 2006,10:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ July 23 2006,8:39)]If you have a QA and all you have to do to get the round to fire is pull the trigger again I don't think you let it reset before you pulled it the first time.  The QA isn't second strike capable, you'd have to rack the slide to reset the striker and chamber the round again.
Are you sure this is how it works? When you rack the slide, don't you eject the 'faulty' round and chamber a new one? I don't have a QA so I may well got this wrong.
I'm not completely sure of the question but I meant rechamber as in catch the round, put it back in the top of the mag and rack the slide to chamber it again.

With the AS version if the round fails to ignite we just pull the trigger a second time and get a double action trigger pull. With the QA you get one trigger pull then the trigger is dead until the slide is racked (either manually or by a round firing). So if you have a QA and think you had to pull the trigger a 2nd time to get the round to go off and you didn't work the slide: a.) you pulled the trigger without letting it reset and the striker did not move b.) the gun is malfunctioning and despite the trigger being reset a trigger pull did not release the striker.

Hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had mine not seat fully and a tap on the back closed the slide and it fired ok. That has only happened with the Winchester white box stuff. Sometimes there seems to be excess glue on the casing, I guess from the packaging process, and it is usually only a few rounds from that box. I stopped using the white box stuff and have had no problems since. You could also just look over the rounds as you load them and scrape off any excess.

·
Registered
821 Posts
AHA!!!!

That happened at the range last time with my 1911... Blasted WWB and it's glue.

Luckily, the pistol didn't fire as it was slightly out of battery.

-stunks

·
Registered
20 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwb @ July 31 2006,8:22)]I've had mine not seat fully and a tap on the back closed the slide and it fired ok. That has only happened with the Winchester white box stuff. Sometimes there seems to be excess glue on the casing, I guess from the packaging process, and it is usually only a few rounds from that box. I stopped using the white box stuff and have had no problems since. You could also just look over the rounds as you load them and scrape off any excess.
I shot my barnd new P99 for the first time about two weeks ago.  I too experienced the slide not setting properly in place after each shot.   A light tap on the back of the slide seated it correctly and the gun fired OK.  This started happening after about 80 or so rounds.   I thought it was due to the gun being new and not yet broken in.   I was using WWB ammo.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've fired hundreds of WWB .40 ammo and never had a problem with it other than the slide not reliably locking open on an empty mag. That has nothing to do with the ammo, of course.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I practice with WWB .40 cal and haven't had many problems with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I shot another 150 rounds the other day and had 3 more failures to fire & 1 failure to feed

I definitely attribute the failures to fire from me not letting the trigger reset far enough...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts